Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

Timing chain? Need advice please

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 02:57 PM
Wrex21
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing chain? Need advice please

Hi everyone,

I am new to these forums but have been reading on these forums for a couple weeks now. I just purchased a used 09 S with 43k miles on it. I read about the timing chain issues, carbon issues etc. before buying the car. When I went to the dealer I listened for the chain rattle while on idle and during the test drive. The engine sounded really clean with no rattle. I took the Mini to a mechanic to have a preinspection done and the mechanic said it was in good shape. I even called a Mini dealership to have them look up the VIN number on the vehicle and they said that the timing chain had been replaced at 26k miles. I read that BMW fixed the issue with the replacements so I thought all in all the car was in great shape and super clean.

Two mornings ago I started up the car to go to work. I figured I would get outside the car and listen to the engine just in case because I know about the issues with these cars. I did notice the knocking sound coming from the passenger side of the engine. I drove to work and by the time I got there the engine was purring again like it did at the dealership. I called Mini and they said I needed to check my oil because that could effect the chain tensor. I checked it and of course the engine had plenty because the dealer topped it off. I then took the car into the Mini dealership closely and they wanted me to leave it overnight so they could do a cold start to replicate the noise. I left it overnight and they called today to say they couldn't replicate the knocking but the temperature could definitely have an affect on this. They wanted me to leave it another night to see if they could replicate it again and I said yes.

For those of you who have experienced timing chain problems, what exactly were the symptoms? Was the knocking loud enough to hear while even inside the car? Could you hear it while stopped at a read light etc? Do you think I am just being a car hypochondriac? The noise did sound exactly like some of the rattle sounds people have posted on the forums. Do you have any recommendations?

Thanks!!

Old 08-03-2013, 04:12 PM
old81
M6
Need to be sure, you can spend the money, ask the dealer to walnut blast out the carbon, put on a new timing chain (gets rid of any stretch), put on the latest tensioner.

Then you know and your dealer knows all is well, engine goes away, call your dealer ask for new engine, simple, do it. All it takes is money and you are a happy but broke MINI owner.

Btw, this is not a snark, I am doing this to my 07 MCS right after MITM at the dealer in Colorado, and I have had the tensioner replaced and do not have any symptoms of the chatter/rattle.

Just my form of insurance and my peace of mind.

Don

Old 08-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Mini2na
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have the dealership measure the chain slack. They have to take out the tensioner and measure with a special tool they insert to measure the amount of deflection you have in your chain. It is this slack, together with the lack of tension in the tensioner that cause the cold start rattle.
If your car has reached the limit on slack, CHANGE OUT the timing cassette unit or the $$$ goes way up if it actually fails.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Summons
3rd Gear
You said you just bought it...

Was it a private sale or from a dealership with pehaps some form of warranty?

As Mini2na said, they need to measure and inspect the chain and tensioner regardless...

Good luck.
E

Old 08-04-2013, 09:21 AM
ra2fanatic
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Read enough about the timing chain and then you think it's happening to you. Paranoia....

I've read many of the horror stories on here about the timing chain, and I'm at 56k miles now. I used to feel like I'd hear something but that's just me being paranoid. Now I don't hear it and just enjoy the ride....

Old 08-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Wrex21
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Summons
You said you just bought it...

Was it a private sale or from a dealership with pehaps some form of warranty?

As Mini2na said, they need to measure and inspect the chain and tensioner regardless...

Good luck.
E
Summons,
Yes it does have a 90 day 3k mile warranty from another dealer. I just want to make sure this car is issue free before it becomes too late. Thanks!

Old 08-04-2013, 10:47 AM
Wrex21
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mini2na
Have the dealership measure the chain slack. They have to take out the tensioner and measure with a special tool they insert to measure the amount of deflection you have in your chain. It is this slack, together with the lack of tension in the tensioner that cause the cold start rattle.
If your car has reached the limit on slack, CHANGE OUT the timing cassette unit or the $$$ goes way up if it actually fails.
Mini2na I will definitely have them measure the chain regardless of what they say on Monday. Just want some peace of mind and I think that will help. Thanks for the advice!

Old 08-04-2013, 11:34 AM
countryboyshane
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You're being overly paranoid to be perfectly frank. Probably caused by these forums.

The bad timing chain rattling sounds like the most awful clanking and chain dragging sound an engine can make. Sounds like an old clackety diesel engine. The N14/N18 engines are definitely louder than most engines due to them being direct injection.

This is a really good example of a very bad rattle. The characteristic sound is a metal on plastic grinding sound coming right from where the timing chain sits. You can really hear it when he holds the engine speed at 2000rpm.

Last edited by countryboyshane; 08-04-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:15 PM
micromini234
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just had mine recently replaced. After The car is a lot quieter as far engine noise. Its really hard to get a base of what it should sound like if you havent ever heard of it; or at least it was for me.

Like you I did buy mine from a non mini dealer. They said they checked it out and was fine but i didnt believe them. I actually noised it was having problems when I put Super 93 octane gas in. The ecu most likely recognized this and adjusted the timing. Because of the slack on the chain(74.5mm) It was wiggling around cause unmetered air and mass air flow and unusual CEL. Might be a long shot thougj.

Old 08-04-2013, 05:57 PM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
It can be measured to find out how close you are to the maximum amount of slack to still be in speck. Would cost a diagnostic fee.

If it is out of speck, see when it was replaced prior. If by MINI dealer, it should carry a 2 year parts warranty. You may have to pay labor but you could try to get MINI and the dealer to good will it.

Old 08-09-2013, 05:38 PM
Drowninginlust
2nd Gear
A large number of minis are about to receive a timing chain warranty extension... I guess you could bank on that =) I know dealerships are good willing them left and right because they know its coming.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:44 PM
PinkMiso
2nd Gear
^ Hope thats true. i was getting ready to do the tensioner on mine but i will hold off a little. I'd rather spend the money replacing my warped valve cover

Old 08-09-2013, 06:46 PM
Drowninginlust
2nd Gear
It is, there is a new stronger chain coming. They are stocking up now.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Wrex21
1st Gear
It is true. The dealer told me it should be happening next month. I am so relieved this is happening.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Drowninginlust
2nd Gear
Yeah, since its slow right now you should still try and get a dealer to goodwill it incase things get crazy when the extension comes out. Plus you can still get the updated chain when it comes.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:54 PM
Wrex21
1st Gear
The dealer told me the "campaign" will start possibly next month and they will be calling people in to measure their chains for free. He said if they are out of spec then supposedly they are changing out the chain for free and if they are a little stretched but still in spec then they are just changing out the tensioners. I dunno from all the horror stories I am reading the only way I would feel comfortable is with a new updated chain.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:58 PM
Drowninginlust
2nd Gear
I wouldnt hold your breath for next month but as far as i know we arent measuring anything, I dont even think we have a "special tool" we are just diving in and replacing them.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Drowninginlust
2nd Gear
Good news if you have an oil leak from the pan too! In most cases the pan has to come off to get any plastic stuck in the oil pump out.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Wrex21
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Drowninginlust
I wouldnt hold your breath for next month but as far as i know we arent measuring anything, I dont even think we have a "special tool" we are just diving in and replacing them.
Nice! Makes me glad Mini is finally taking charge and correcting this. I hope that is correct and they are just replacing everything. From what I am told my timing chain was replaced 20k miles ago. I hope it still qualifies but given the fact my dealer told me about the "campaign" I am guessing it does.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Drowninginlust
2nd Gear
yup and as far as i know the recent problem with the tensioner had to do with the washer, but its irrelevant since once the tensioner is fixed the chain is just going to stretch. Im not sure about other dealers but we are replacing everything.

Old 08-09-2013, 07:12 PM
Wrex21
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Drowninginlust
yup and as far as i know the recent problem with the tensioner had to do with the washer, but its irrelevant since once the tensioner is fixed the chain is just going to stretch. Im not sure about other dealers but we are replacing everything.
Thanks for the info! I love the car but this issue is scary stuff. I'm sure this is going to make lots of people happy it is getting fixed.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:25 PM
PinkMiso
2nd Gear
This is very exciting, I need to change my oilpan anyway as a stray log hit it last year and dented it. Of all the crap I need to do the timing chain was one that I looked forward to the least

Old 08-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Quijote
1st Gear
Any updates on this redesigned chain or recall (if it is a recall)?

Would this cover out of warranty cars?

Old 08-22-2013, 07:09 AM
old81
M6
I really hate to be the one to burst bubbles. Unless you see a recall letter in your mail or get notified directly by your selling dealer, I really doubt a recall or official campaign is in process.

Call your dealer and ask if there is an internal TSB or campaign for a timing chain replacement.

I could be wrong, but I have not been told anything about this future recall. If I find out more on next Monday when my MINI gets my requested work performed, I will let you know.

Until then, play your cards carefully.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:33 AM
Jamussel
Neutral
Drowninginlust and Wrex21, which dealers told you this? Mine is saying there is nothing coming. Would love to have your dealer talk to mine here in Indiana.

Quick Reply: Timing chain? Need advice please