Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S(R56), and Cabrio (R57).

2010 mini, Knocking noise from boot?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 09:00 PM
pfriedel
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine only does it when I idle on an incline with the e-brake on, like at the the parking garage at work. I suspected hill assist kicked in, the 2 second timeout passes, and the brakes release and squawk/thump a bit as the e-brake reasserts itself. I know it shouldn't actually be trading the load back and forth (unless if they're doing Strange Things with the e-brake), but it felt more like a brake thing than a fuel tank thing.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:47 PM
kalokster
1st Gear
thank you for this thread.. it has been happening to me lately and I was about to freak out. good thing it's normal!

Old 10-01-2010, 06:11 PM
jomini22
Neutral
thumping-- info from dealer

I purchased my '10 mini a few months ago and almost immediately noticed the irregular, but rhythmic knocking sound. It actually occurs whether you're driving and idling, but while driving it's harder to hear due to engine noise. I happen to do mostly city driving and often with the radio off so it was easy to detect.

I brought it into the dealer and at first they were puzzled. Finally, someone found out that it is a pump that does some sort of diagnostic during every other engine cycle. This diagnostic makes the thumping noise and the fact that it's every other engine cycle makes it hard to replicate on demand.

I told the service manager that it's ridiculous for such a noticeable sound to be "normal." She responded that the MINI doesn't have much sound insulation so I have to live with things like this. I enjoy my car, but I'm getting kind of tired of hearing about this car's oddities.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:56 AM
jujucooper
2nd Gear
I heard two knocking sounds from the rear. One while driving was fixed by having the dealer put in the updated (bigger) striker solved that noise. The other while stopped and idling was me not pulling the parking brake lever high enough. No more noises from the back.

Old 10-02-2010, 08:13 PM
toolazyforalogin
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jujucooper
I heard two knocking sounds from the rear. One while driving was fixed by having the dealer put in the updated (bigger) striker solved that noise. The other while stopped and idling was me not pulling the parking brake lever high enough. No more noises from the back.
What "striker" are you referring to?

Old 10-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by jomini22
I purchased my '10 mini a few months ago and almost immediately noticed the irregular, but rhythmic knocking sound. It actually occurs whether you're driving and idling, but while driving it's harder to hear due to engine noise. I happen to do mostly city driving and often with the radio off so it was easy to detect.

I brought it into the dealer and at first they were puzzled. Finally, someone found out that it is a pump that does some sort of diagnostic during every other engine cycle. This diagnostic makes the thumping noise and the fact that it's every other engine cycle makes it hard to replicate on demand.

I told the service manager that it's ridiculous for such a noticeable sound to be "normal." She responded that the MINI doesn't have much sound insulation so I have to live with things like this. I enjoy my car, but I'm getting kind of tired of hearing about this car's oddities.
I've never heard such a sound...

Old 10-03-2010, 08:35 PM
MINIDean
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They all do it. My MINI makes this noise too. It's a pressure pump in the fuel tank that pressurizes the tank and then takes pressure readings to make sure it isn't leaking vapors. It doesn't pressurize everyday or consistently. It depends on drive cycles and such.

Old 10-04-2010, 05:39 AM
jujucooper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by toolazyforalogin
What "striker" are you referring to?
There is an updated part number, don't have it on hand, but the dealer puts in a new BIGGER striker that sits more snug in the latch mechanism. The popping/clicking is the original striker moving around. I want to say there is a TSB for it.

I will try to get the part number off the invoice as soon as it stops raining.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:03 AM
blkjac40
1st Gear
I have the same issue. I took mine into the dealer they say it's Normal.

I find it disheartening that if the vehicle is equipped with this kinda noise then buyers should be made aware of this at the time of purchase.

I love my mini but if Mini isn't acknowledging a potential problem under warranty I'm not going to pay for a brand new car with problems. A lemon law claim might be needed.

Last edited by blkjac40; 10-24-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Wording
Old 06-20-2011, 06:57 AM
sparky333
1st Gear
I'm glad to hear that this is most likely normal. I just posted a question about the same noise. I guess I won't bother worrying about it.

Old 08-26-2011, 03:33 PM
MiniVelvet
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I heard my MINI fart for the first time this morning. I was sorting out my stuff in the boot after I parked the car. It was definitely a series of fart, not rhythmic, and definitely not knocking/popping/clicking. I was concerned. After reading this thread, I am glad it's normal. This is a sound that I can live with. Now the car feels more like a pet to me.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 PM
VMCMDN
4th Gear
Our car does that too, we were worried but then I read this thread, nothing to worry about.