North American Motoring

North American Motoring (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/)
-   Stock Problems/Issues (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues-188/)
-   -   2010 mini, Knocking noise from boot? (https://www.northamericanmotoring.com/forums/stock-problems-issues/182666-2010-mini-knocking-noise-from-boot.html)

apblndp1 02-02-2010 10:41 AM

2010 mini, Knocking noise from boot?

I literally bought my mini hardtop a week ago. it has 200 miles on it. a couple days after I bought it, I was setting up my bluetooth with the car in idle and started hearing loud thumping, popping noises from the boot area...it felt and sounded like the exhaust was puffing something out, but there was nothing. a few days after that I was idling with a friend in the car and she heard it too. it sounds like someone trapped in my truck and kicking and punching to get out. it is definitely from the boot area, not the engine. at first I though it was the gas cap popping, or the boot popping up. it doesn't make a sound while I drive its only when I start to idle for 5 mins or more..my car is an automatic. please let me know if this is normal, and I am overreacting, or if there is something wrong..its kinda freaky!:confused:

lhoboy 02-02-2010 10:52 AM

Check the mufflers and exhaust pipes to make certain they are tight and not knocking against the underbelly of the car. (please do this when the system has cooled down)

apblndp1 02-02-2010 10:58 AM

thanks i will ask my dad to check and tighten anything (since i am just a clueless girl ha ha) , hopefully that is it..i read on a few other threads that it might just be the exhaust pipe..i don't know its scary when you hear things in a brand new car...

RJKimbell 02-02-2010 12:09 PM

The Boot Monkey strikes again!! :lol:

There is nothing wrong with your car, it is a common sound when the car is idle, kinda sounds like a low thud every couple of seconds. :nod:

MrTIer 02-02-2010 03:31 PM

I heard something similiar also. The first time I heard it I thought someone was knocking on the back of my car - really strange, and I kept looking back thinking someone was hiding outside messing around with me. It only happens occasionally and usually just after I turn off the (hot) car. I'm guessing its just the hot exaust (pipes, muffler, heat shield, etc) shifting a bit when it cools. I agree, nothing to worry about, its just another "Mini-moment".

swisstexmini 02-02-2010 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by MrTIer (Post 2972602)
I heard something similiar also. The first time I heard it I thought someone was knocking on the back of my car - really strange, and I kept looking back thinking someone was hiding outside messing around with me. It only happens occasionally and usually just after I turn off the (hot) car. I'm guessing its just the hot exaust (pipes, muffler, heat shield, etc) shifting a bit when it cools. I agree, nothing to worry about, its just another "Mini-moment".

same thing happened with me :roll: but it was when the car was off.

Everyone says its the fuel pump.

MINIxB 02-02-2010 05:24 PM

It's your car changing the pressure in your gas tank. It's normal. :)

carsncars 02-02-2010 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by MrTIer (Post 2972602)

...same thing happened to me! Picked my girlfriend up, drove home, sat in the driveway doing "nothing in particular", then suddenly this thumping sound emanates from the back.

For a little while we were convinced there was a midget knocking on the back of the car.

Benibiker 02-02-2010 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by MINIxB (Post 2972742)

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: This is it, normal...

MidnightMini 02-02-2010 07:03 PM

Your MINI is farting... lol. Totally normal. Mine does it too.

Albiecrazy 02-03-2010 05:04 AM

Mine started doing this, too - just last week. I think many cars probably do this, but we just don't hear it because there's a lot of *stuff* between us and the fuel tank. In the MINI... well... we can almost reach back and touch it! :lol:

AustinS 02-03-2010 05:08 AM

Minis do not like to sit and idle, they like to go. The sound is your Mini saying, "Let's motor!"

MauriceW 02-03-2010 08:59 AM

I saw The Hangover. Open your boot carefully!

4xAAA 02-03-2010 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by MauriceW (Post 2973255)
I saw The Hangover. Open your boot carefully!

I don't think anybody stuffed in the boot of a MINI would have much fight left.

But be careful anyway!

Bigjoeski08 02-03-2010 11:36 AM

Yup mine does it to.

bulldoggirl 02-05-2010 10:10 AM

Mine does it too. The first time I heard it I about jumped outta my seat! :lol: Now I know it's just the boot monkeys :grin:. I'm glad this forum exists otherwise I would've probably taken in to see if somethings wrong w/ it!

MINIxB 02-05-2010 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by AustinS (Post 2973079)
Minis do not like to sit and idle, they like to go. The sound is your Mini saying, "Let's motor!"

LOL my classic Mini does that too. :thumbsup:

scottab36 02-10-2010 11:22 AM

I have never heard this.

toolazyforalogin 02-10-2010 01:14 PM

My MC does not do this, but all of my MCS loaners have a "pulse" you can hear from the exhaust every other second or so....esp on the brake in gear

tsientong 02-25-2010 05:51 PM

it's great that i found this thread, cuz i thought i was going crazy too...

i laughed when i read that others also thought that someone outside the car was messing with them. THAT'S WHAT I THOUGHT!!! :lol:

sequence 02-28-2010 11:23 AM

It could also be those dopey weighted balls that hang from your parcel shelf. took mine out and no more thumpin and bumpin :thumbsup:

xstal 03-01-2010 09:32 PM

i have it too

on my 06 MCS
even posted it on the 1st gen forum.
this totally makes sense.

when i first brought my mini home, i got out of the car 3 times...to check and make sure no one was knocking on my car..
:lol:

Rixter 03-03-2010 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by MINIxB (Post 2972742)

I get the same noise. Maybe its normal for a MINI, but no car I've ever owned has sounded so peculiar :sly:

Ryankotzin 03-21-2010 08:24 PM

I think it's because your using low octane gas. It's common to hear that if your using the less expensive gas..

bulldoggirl 03-22-2010 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ryankotzin (Post 3011419)
I think it's because your using low octane gas. It's common to hear that if your using the less expensive gas..

Nope, I run high octane in mine and I hear it a lot too :grin: I just chalk it up as one of the quicks of Mini's :thumbsup: