Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Anyone get the new portable NAV?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 07:04 PM
Nor_Cal_Mini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone get the new portable NAV?

I just ordered one from my dealer. I chose it because I like the clean look. My '04 MCS doesn't have NAV and my wife gets lost easy. This is a bit more money than 3rd party, but I like the integration.

Anyone have pics of how this looks? Mine is supposed to be installed later this week. I wanted one last option to return it, in case it looks like junk.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:01 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
If it's the one that is in the new brochure it looks to be a Garmin Nuvi 350. I bought a nuvi 660 for the ballpark of the dealer 350 unit. Nothing against the dealer one, just liked the widescreen better. One thing, if you get it, is there are several of us on here that would like the file for the MINI vehicle displayed on the screen. Actually, I would like the dealer listing myself. We would appreciate it if you considered posting them.

Old 04-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Nor_Cal_Mini
2nd Gear
So I'm the Guinea pig! I can do this...I just liked the real integrated look of the dealer install. I think I was sold on the special mounting bracket they claim to use which perfectly fits our vehicle. I'll have to look at this in more details before I approve the install.

Are these files on a CD or in the unit? If they are in the unit, how can I access them? Copy them to and SD card or can the unit plug into my PC and be accessed? Haven't used one of these type units before (normally get integrated NAV), but I'm surely tech savvy enough to make it happen...

Old 04-03-2007, 11:11 PM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Nor_Cal_Mini
So I'm the Guinea pig! I can do this...I just liked the real integrated look of the dealer install. I think I was sold on the special mounting bracket they claim to use which perfectly fits our vehicle. I'll have to look at this in more details before I approve the install.

Are these files on a CD or in the unit? If they are in the unit, how can I access them? Copy them to and SD card or can the unit plug into my PC and be accessed? Haven't used one of these type units before (normally get integrated NAV), but I'm surely tech savvy enough to make it happen...
I have a 350 and the maps are already in the GPS. I forgot if you can type it in on the comp and save it to the unit, I just type them in the unit, and go from there, but there is a removable card that you can put pics and music on

Old 04-04-2007, 02:58 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
Please post the SRF file of the MINI when you get it!

Last edited by BFG9000; 04-04-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:38 AM
hunter99
4th Gear

I am not saying you are the Guinea Pig but you are the first I know of on this forum.

The file are on the unit itself and as Nor_Cal_Mini posted the car is an SRF file. Should be easy to retrieve.

If you can post pictures of the mount. My unerstanding is that it used te normal Garmin windshield mount (which is actually a very good mount, except in Cali). If there is indeed a custom mount I think there are alot of us that would like to know about it and the part number for it (usually stamped in it if it is a special mount).

Sorry, for all of the info and requests but we are curious to the setup since there have only been pictures. I inquired at 2 dealers about it and both did not know much. In the respect of information I guess you are the Guinea Pig.

Old 04-04-2007, 09:18 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by everytimeidie027
I have a 350 and the maps are already in the GPS. I forgot if you can type it in on the comp and save it to the unit, I just type them in the unit, and go from there, but there is a removable card that you can put pics and music on
You can't enter Points of Interest on your computer and offload them to the Nuvi unless you have Garmin's "Mapsource" program, which is not included with the Nuvi (although it was included with earlier Garmin units - I have a copy from when I had a Garmin 276C). Some North American users have been able to call Garmin and get a copy for free. The European users haven't had much luck getting a copy from Garmin Europe, though.

To get the .SRF files off of the Nuvi, you just connect the Nuvi to your computer with a mini-USB cable, at which point it will show up as a browseable external drive.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:26 AM
blalor
6th Gear
Fortunately, that's not correct! You can download the free POILoader from Garmin's site and manage the POIs that way. They've even got a Mac version, now! The POI databases are really just discrete files that can be copied to and from the nuvi at will, but unfortunately the Garmin software *requires* that the device be plugged into the computer in order to even start up, which is kind of silly. There's a third-party program for the Mac that allows you to compile the POI files and manage the file copying yourself.

Old 04-04-2007, 10:59 AM
btallack
2nd Gear
I'd like to see pics of this set up. If it actually is a custom mount I think I'll have to pick one up myself.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:16 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by blalor
Fortunately, that's not correct! You can download the free POILoader from Garmin's site and manage the POIs that way. They've even got a Mac version, now! The POI databases are really just discrete files that can be copied to and from the nuvi at will, but unfortunately the Garmin software *requires* that the device be plugged into the computer in order to even start up, which is kind of silly. There's a third-party program for the Mac that allows you to compile the POI files and manage the file copying yourself.
From the Garmin page you linked to (for everyone else, POI = "Points of Interest"):

"POI Loader does not create customized POIs, nor is it software for your Garmin GPS. It simply gives you the ability to upload POIs created by others from your PC to your compatible Garmin"

So while it's useful, the functionality of POI Loader isn't quite the same as what you used to get with MapSource. As for the third-party programs that allow you to create POIs, I'll admit I don't know everything that's out there, since I just use the copy of MapSource I already have. Still, it's nice to know there are other options.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:26 PM
alpinamike
5th Gear
This http://www.motoringfun.com/2007/04/0...tem-in-action/ or the portible:

http://www.motoringfun.com/2007/03/1...gation-system/

Both reviewed: now to choose with one, remeber the portible includes the MINI on the screen with changable tops, english accent, and of course it says MINI.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:40 PM
mufflethis
4th Gear
I saw a picture of the portable nav in one of the accessory catalogues and I was wondering what they did with the power cord. Does it still go to the lighter or is it hidden in some way or are they expecting everyone to use the battery that will last 3 hours?

Old 04-05-2007, 12:27 AM
Nor_Cal_Mini
2nd Gear
So the NAV came in today and I have an appointment next wed to get it installed. Will try and post some pics, though I go out of town for a few days on Thursday...by the weekend for sure...

Old 04-05-2007, 03:36 AM
blalor
6th Gear
Probably a topic for another thread, but between Google Earth and gpsvisualizer.com, you should be able to put together your own list of POIs pretty easily. Export your points from Google Earth and then use gpsvisualizer.com to generate a CSV (or better yet, GPX) file, then import that with the POILoader.

Old 04-13-2007, 09:45 PM
hunter99
4th Gear
So the NAV came in today and I have an appointment next wed to get it installed. Will try and post some pics, though I go out of town for a few days on Thursday...by the weekend for sure...
Just curious if you got the nav installed? Details, pics or any other info you have?

Old 04-14-2007, 04:29 PM
Nor_Cal_Mini
2nd Gear
Yeah, I did and posted a bit on another thread about it.

I really like the install and think that the brochure did not do it justice. I've had NAV in most of our vehicles and always chosen integrated NAV's for their clean look. I was concerned this would not look that good and also heard the special mount might just be using suction cups. Thankfully, it does not.

They basically have a custom metal arm that comes off the tach and allows you to then attach the Garmin NAV. It's very clean looking and also provides power.

See more pics below. The NAV istelf is decent. I like the fact that it has batteries so I can hand it to the passenger to program while on the road. The BT speakerphone option is cool, bot not loud enough for me. Not sure that I will use a lof of the other featues, but the basic NAV stuff is as nice as any integrated NAV solution and the touch screen is easy to use...more pics in my gallery.

Old 04-14-2007, 07:29 PM
blalor
6th Gear
Thanks for the pics! Any ideas on where the power is taken from? Presumably it switches off with the key?

For those who want the integrated approach, this kit looks like a great way to go. The price is a little steep, but not really *that* out of line. I've seen several solutions for mounting stuff to the tach; there's an AMPS-pattern nüvi-compatible ball mount from ProClip for about $30; an additional 12v power adapter and windshield mount is available for another $30 or so. You're approaching $100 right there.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Nor_Cal_Mini
2nd Gear
no clue, but yes it does turn off with the key. Looks to be wired into the ignition.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:28 PM
03ibmini
Banned
Is audio from this unit sent through the headunit to the vehicle speakers?

Old 04-14-2007, 08:38 PM
Nor_Cal_Mini
2nd Gear
nope and that would be awesome, especially for the BT phone connection as the audio in sounds real good according to people I've called, but the speaker out is no good.

I'm sure you could make this happen, but it's not part of the standard install. I love my friend's M3. Radio turns down when he gets a call and it comes through his speakers. sweet stuff....

Old 04-14-2007, 09:54 PM
z3bum
5th Gear
And the srf files?

The audio is a piece of cake. Just run a stereo headphone cable from the nuvi to your aux
input. I do this and use the nuvi as an mp3 player. When navigating, the music is interrupted by the guide voice as needed. Fun stuff.

Old 04-14-2007, 10:00 PM
03ibmini
Banned
I did find the solution to have the audio routed to the drivers side speaker. once again Mikey from Newministuff.com to the rescue http://www.newministuff.com/new/shop...tshow&id=188// I am going to be ordering the MINI kit for my 03 and will be purchasing this adapter from mikey to get the full integration.

Old 04-14-2007, 11:54 PM
Nor_Cal_Mini
2nd Gear
yup, i see the files on there when I run it in mass storage mode. There are like 6 minis. Any suggestion on a site where I can post these 12 megs?

Old 04-15-2007, 07:32 AM
hunter99
4th Gear
Very nice setup! It is much better looking and intergrated than I was expecting. Most of the time when a third party solution is offered litle is changed from the version han can be purchased retail. This is a setup that MINI has clearly looked into and implented in teh best OEM way they could.

I have a place to post them if needed. It's not fancy but it is web based and you would just select the file you want and download it. If interested just send to my open email (safe for posting anywhere). hunter99@mac.com

Old 04-15-2007, 07:33 AM
hunter99
4th Gear
Forgot to add. I have to run out but if you send them I should be able to have them setup by the end of the day. I already created a fileshare page if you do I just need to add the files and post the address. If not, that's cool too.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Anyone get the new portable NAV?