Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Please Help!!! Valve Cover Grenade!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
My $0.02 - just put on the new belt. Cleaning a ribbed serpentine belt while it's installed? Even if it's possible to get all the oil off, and none of it has soaked in, it seems like an exercise in frustration/futility - and it leaves one known bad item on the car. Beware the 'easy' path - it's often more painful than the 'difficult' one.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:00 AM
chuckt
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 on the new belt.

Old 01-13-2007, 09:08 AM
Hound_va
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1 more on the remove the old belt, clean the pullies, install a new belt method, after all it's only about $20.00. IMHO, it's a lot cheaper and easier in the long run compared to messing with a used contaminated belt which is already known to have caused problems.

Old 01-13-2007, 11:29 AM
motonikki812
4th Gear
Doh....

I knew you guys were going to say that....

So is there any little tricks to it? Should I just go ahead and follow the manual as it descibes? I guess I have to find a removal tool. I've heard it is a royal PIA even with the proper tool. Damn!

Oh well it could be worse.... Every time I want to complain about changing the belt. I think about my poor buddy Mario....

Without knowing why this happened to my car in the first place... I just hope mine isnt next....

Old 01-13-2007, 12:12 PM
motonikki812
4th Gear
So does anybody see anything out of wack with the codes? Do these correlate with a belt slipping or installation of a DT BPV or VGS? Are these codes cause for alarm?

Also, is it normal for the grey tube to be sucking so hard... and then when covering it up having the motor like choke out and almost die at idle???

How is it that you cap off that grey tube when installing an OCC. I have made diagrams of the different routings on paper. Stock, Alta routing, Polizei routing... The Alta routing is the only one that caps off the tube. It just dosent make sense to me. The Bentley manual does not desribe this tube or its function at all....

Do tell.......

Thanks, Jasun

Old 01-13-2007, 12:50 PM
SharoSC02
5th Gear
I have read through this whole thread and not only have learned more about my mini I have also enjoyed every minute of it. However and at the same time I feel realy realy bad for moton and his car. I can't imagine anything like this happening to my car. When I read what happened to his and marios car earlier this week I honestly felt that as if it had happened to my car. I feel your pain fellas. But don't give up and keep working until you resolve the problems and get that babay back on the streets where you can realy enjoy it.

That being said, this makes it 2 disaster that happened to 2 different NAM members in Mario and moton. Wish I could chime in and give my $.02 but I'll leave that to the people/members who actualy know what they are talking about.

I will continue following this thread in hopes of finding out that moton gets to have his baby back all fixed up and running. That would make me happy.

Here is to the best of luck to you.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
+ 1 more for belt replacement.

If you don't do it you are setting yourself up for a roadside belt failure. Imagine if that happens with your wife driving. Best just do it.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:17 PM
motonikki812
4th Gear
Oh she would love that!!!!!! (visions of me sleeping in garage for months)

I am looking at a Volvo XC90 today... She loves them.... My sister just got one and the 2 have to have the same car... always.... It started with MBZ E320 wagon in 2000. My sister didnt jump on the MINI boat... 2 kids and all... I think that will be only way I can pry the MINI from my wifes clutches and make it my daily driver. Plus the miles are up on my company car so they are pulling it from me. I am finally giving up a mid range Ford product as a daily driver after 15 years.... Thank heavens!!! My new position at work does not offer a company car... Although you cant beat a Totally FREE car every 55k miles....free gas, maintenance, registration, you name it.... even it was a Taurus...

So does anybody have any opinions on post #80 with the sucking on the grey tube and how it could be capped off when installing OCC. Also, the codes on #73 are these cause for alarm???

Thanks, Jasun

Old 01-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Tüls
Turbius Maximus
+4 for belt replacment... it's not that hard... jsut takes a little practice.... sometimes is easier with a friend under the car to help aline the lower belt line...

keep up the good work... glad it's working out....

it's hard to say about your throttle code... but both could be a result of the belt slipping... cuase things would be kinda wacky... these could also be left over from when the vaulve cover cracked... I would clear the codes if you haven;'t... then see what if any show up again... if it's a problem it will show up again...

as for the hoses and plugging them... there are vacums and pressures that need to be present for the car to idle etc... run.... LOL.... the vaulve cover has to breath... and if not... well... i think you know... as for the exact way you are plugging the hose etc I am not sure of... sorry...LOL

as I always say when someone breaks something I haven't or no one else has... oooohhh sure just showing off now... trying to be different and break stuff

Last edited by Tüls; 01-13-2007 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Hound_va
3rd Gear
The belt isn't too bad to do. I jacked up the car and removed the passenger side wheel and wheelwell liner. I do have the tool for the tensioner pulley so I can't comment on how to do it without. Just either find a pic of the belt routing or draw a pic of the belt routing before you remove it. A small allen key or something along those lines can be dropped into the tab on the tensioner to keep it held back.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:24 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Long winded stuff.

First, the grey tube. To understad why you feel what you do from it, you have to think about where it's connected. It's between the TB and the SC. When the TB is closed, there is the highest vacuum right there. So it sucks hard. And if you leave it open, air that isn't supposed to get past the TB does, and the motor will run like crap because it's confused. You can also get codes from this, as the ECU knows that the TB is shut, but the pressure sensor (upstrem MAP, measures pressure after the TB but before the SC) gives a pressure reading that is high, and the ECU says something isn't right, and on comes the light. (I haven't checked your code numbers yet, so I don't know if this is what happened to you). Now, why is it routed like that? You have to read the next section!

Second, the Mini PCV system. So there are two vent lines on the Mini's valve cover. I'm not sure why they did this, but so be it. The PCV valve is a one way valve, that needs a certain amount pressure difference to open. This is when there's a high vacuum in the intake path, or lots of pressure in the valve cover! Now the motor crates blow by whenever it's running. When the PCV valve is closed the extra gasses go through the vent line into the intake before the TB. When it's open, the vacuum after the SC sucks the blow-by into the grey tube, and even a bit of fresh air in the tube before the TB. So the line with the grey tube only has gas go from the valve cover to the intake, controlled by the PCV valve. The other vent line, has gassses go both ways!, under no control at all, totally dependant on the other states of the motor (vacuum etc).

Now, pretty much every OCC vendor shows some way to tie the two lines together into a single line, so that a single OCC can clean all the blow-by gasses. While this isn't what Mini sold us, I actally don't know the ramifications of running all the vent gasses directly into the TB, as opposed to after the TB when the PCV valve opens.

If you did the can install and didn't cap the grey line (to cap it you need a little rubber cover or plug), then I"m sure the car would idle like crap, but at higher speeds (when the TB is much more open) the amount of air leaking past the TB becomes a very small percentage, and the car will run pretty well, just a bit leaner than before.

My guess is that while every thing checked out OK, I'd bet that the single combined line got a crimped bend in it. Maybe induced by higher vacuum when you first hit the gas, and then the larger pressure drop is before the TB (not exactly, but the pressure there is lowest then). If this induced a crimp, that would stay after it formed, then you have all the conditions needed to build pressure in the valve cover. Sure it's a bit of a reach, but that's the only thing I can figure out.

Matt

Old 01-14-2007, 01:11 AM
motonikki812
4th Gear
Thanks DR O !!!

WOW.....

This is exactly What I needed to learn. Thanks for your thoughts and intelligence.... This would of taken me another week to put together.... I start really concentrating on it and drawing diagrams and such. Then I start laughing inside..... It reminds me of Beavis and Butthead having some (life changing) bright idea.... and there is a little 3 watt old christmas bulb that like flickers and fizzles out above their heads.

Basically that the little grey tube sucks real hard and can be capped by your finger to make the car run like crap.... only when the car is sitting still.....
Give her a little rpm, show her a little boost, the bypass valve opens and the grey tube starts putting more suction to the induction system, rather than cleaning out the head gasses..... I have to say this is the most plausable explanation I have head thus far....

So Anyhoo,

Tonight was the first official outing in the MINI since his injury... We went to a chi chi wedding in upper Montecito (hellish fun twisties that I swear the MINI was designed for) for a couple of our old friends. All I can say is that the only thing running hotter that my wife tonight was the MINI!!!!!
I dont know if it is the 40- temp we are having right now in SoCal, or the new DT BPV, Or the new Alta diverter and sprayer, or the squeeky cleaned IC, and fresh synthetic oil.... The DSC light was flashing all the way through 1st, 2nd and through part of shift on in 3rd....This baby was strong!!!!!!!!

I haver nver felt my MINI feel like this.....

I just hope it lasts.... Tomorrow will be the end of the belt saga and oil everywhere...` Then its time to really mash it a little.....

Not to mention the full chrome interior and cf JCW controls that I hadnt even had a chance to play with yet..... I love this thing!!! Right now.

One thing I noticed when we got home... I popped the hood and the header collector was BRIGHT GLOWING RED.... I guess this is normal.....

Well I am cool for now, I just hope Mario shows up tomorrow for belt changing day....

Jasun

I am including pics of the Mrs's from the wedding after party..... Yes the MINI was running hotter than this!!!!!!!

Damn the pics didnt turn up.... Man I wonder if they really were that hot and I got censored........ I'lll try to post em.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:52 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by motonikki812
WOW.....

This is exactly What I needed to learn. Thanks for your thoughts and intelligence.... This would of taken me another week to put together.... I start really concentrating on it and drawing diagrams and such. Then I start laughing inside..... It reminds me of Beavis and Butthead having some (life changing) bright idea.... and there is a little 3 watt old christmas bulb that like flickers and fizzles out above their heads.

Basically that the little grey tube sucks real hard and can be capped by your finger to make the car run like crap.... only when the car is sitting still.....
Give her a little rpm, show her a little boost, the bypass valve opens and the grey tube starts putting more suction to the induction system, rather than cleaning out the head gasses..... I have to say this is the most plausable explanation I have head thus far....
So Anyhoo,

Tonight was the first official outing in the MINI since his injury... We went to a chi chi wedding in upper Montecito (hellish fun twisties that I swear the MINI was designed for) for a couple of our old friends. All I can say is that the only thing running hotter that my wife tonight was the MINI!!!!!
I dont know if it is the 40- temp we are having right now in SoCal, or the new DT BPV, Or the new Alta diverter and sprayer, or the squeeky cleaned IC, and fresh synthetic oil.... The DSC light was flashing all the way through 1st, 2nd and through part of shift on in 3rd....This baby was strong!!!!!!!!

I haver nver felt my MINI feel like this.....

I just hope it lasts.... Tomorrow will be the end of the belt saga and oil everywhere...` Then its time to really mash it a little.....

Not to mention the full chrome interior and cf JCW controls that I hadnt even had a chance to play with yet..... I love this thing!!! Right now.

One thing I noticed when we got home... I popped the hood and the header collector was BRIGHT GLOWING RED.... I guess this is normal.....

Well I am cool for now, I just hope Mario shows up tomorrow for belt changing day....

Jasun

I am including pics of the Mrs's from the wedding after party..... Yes the MINI was running hotter than this!!!!!!!

Damn the pics didnt turn up.... Man I wonder if they really were that hot and I got censored........ I'lll try to post em.
Glad everything worked out Jasun, call me tomorrow so you can buy me breakfast and we can work on the Mini. And yes the BPV is very noticable and a great mod or earlier Mini's. I'm a bit jealous of your Mini, mostly because your works and my Mini is 12 cities away in little tiny pieces with a huge price tag on it. It's getting close for me to make my 4th payment on my car. SO SAD!!! Call me
Mario

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-14-2007, 06:44 AM
jeffc
7th Gear
Mario did something happen to your car?

Originally Posted by MarioKart
Glad everything worked out Jasun, call me tomorrow so you can buy me breakfast and we can work on the Mini. And yes the BPV is very noticable and a great mod or earlier Mini's. I'm a bit jealous of your Mini, mostly because your works and my Mini is 12 cities away in little tiny pieces with a huge price tag on it. It's getting close for me to make my 4th payment on my car. SO SAD!!! Call me
Mario

Old 01-14-2007, 06:56 AM
robino
4th Gear
I popped the hood and the header collector was BRIGHT GLOWING RED.... I guess this is normal.....
might have a lean condition there...especially since you say there's all this extra power suddenly that you haven't felt before, cars running lean are faster but danger lurks beneath...

Old 01-14-2007, 07:04 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by jeffc
Mario did something happen to your car?
Yes and is makes me sick, I have a thread also on Beneath the Bonnet, somewhere near this thread.
M

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 01-14-2007, 10:17 AM
Alerious
3rd Gear
hmmmm... I wouldn't consider bright red glowing exhaust headers normal. I know I had a similar issue when I looked under my bonnet after a quick trip with a new lightened flywheel and larger intercooler installed. It turned out the reason for the glowing exhaust header was due to an improperly installed intercooler. Once I sorted out the intercooler issue, I have yet to see my exhaust header ever glow since then. I would be weary of considering the glowing as normal, as it could point to another problem... not that you need anymore. Good luck with your progress, as I certainly hope for the best.

GotMINI

Old 01-14-2007, 12:05 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
A bit more info...

Chuckt pointed out that the PCV valve really only closes when there's a pressure against it from the intake side, like during a backfire. So it doesn't need vacuum to open...

Sorry for any confusion...

Matt

Old 01-14-2007, 09:31 PM
motonikki812
4th Gear
So I had a full and satisfying day of motoring.... All I can say is that my car is absolutley unreal!!!! It runs sooooo good.

The only mods that are added since the incident are DT BPV, Alta air diverter 2.0 with sprayer, and cleaned intercooler. I am sure that the BPV is the main reason for the increased performance, or there is just something with the motor that came out in the wash of the incident.

What ever it is my car runs so crispy and responsive. It also feels like it has more boost and overall power....

Today was great, Mario even came up and jumped in the car with me for a little while.... He misses his MINI.

A full detail and wax this morning, a sunny, cool, crispy Santa Barbara day and a full day of twisties in the SB back roads..... This car is way more fun when it actually runs.... This is what it is all about!

So I am pretty sure now that the MINI is going to be fine. I guess I will never know the true reason for my valve cover grenade. I think I am going to refrain from doing much more in the near future as far as motor mods. Like I said before.... A JCW car needs to be appreciated for what it is, and the harmony of everything working well together....

Mario is going to kill me for writing this.... but blasting up through the gears today somewhere around 3rd WOT about 5k rpm, he looks over and says "I think your car is about as fast as mine". I love that I have never really changed anything about the motor. I have to say that if this increase in performance is due to the BPV, it is a MUST have.

I'll keep everybody posted on the next few days of reliablity.
Thanks to everybody for the support through the INCIDENT......

Jasun

Old 01-15-2007, 08:13 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by motonikki812
Mario is going to kill me for writing this.... but blasting up through the gears today somewhere around 3rd WOT about 5k rpm, he looks over and says "I think your car is about as fast as mine". I love that I have never really changed anything about the motor. I have to say that if this increase in performance is due to the BPV, it is a MUST have.
I wasn't thinkg right when I said that, I think your driving was making me sick, between the mussle relaxers, Rock Star and the twisties I was not thinking clearly. Glad you got your car running, and I must say it does pull hard, but not .......
Peace

Old 01-15-2007, 12:34 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Jasun, I'm very glad to hear you're back on the road & loving it. I like modding things, but in the past I have made nice cars into barely drivable monsters. You reach a point where the trade offs just aren't worth the trouble. Just my .02 here & worth every penny paid. Happy motoring.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:58 PM
stevecars60
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the sticky https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=88605
There are 2 ways to hook up the OCC.
The Alta way...
The alternate way. This is the way to make sure that the crank case gets vented as OEM calls for. 2 pics in post 3 1 thanks to DrPhil & 1 from myself.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:47 PM
motonikki812
4th Gear
Do your self a favor..... hook up your OCC with the alternate routing..... Leaving the intake tube side stock.... It just makes so much more sense and so much simipler to do, and understand.
I do not blame the ATLA routing of my new OCC as the reason for the Incident...... :impatient

But I am sure that it did not help.....