Interior/Exterior Interior and exterior modifications for Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Interior/Exterior How well prepared is your MINI?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 05:18 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
How well prepared is your MINI?

I assembled an emergency kit for my car a few months ago, and I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Here's what's in it:
  • A blanket in a water-resistant stuff sack (on left in top pic)
  • A Slime kit (for tire repair) that I put in the driver's side boot cubby
  • A Dynaplug tire repair kit (http://www.dynaplug.com/domestic.html)
  • A sturdy bag (the red one, from Target, to hold all the rest of the stuff)
  • Cash - about $25 in bills and $3 in mixed change
  • Glucose tabs and medicines (tailor it to your needs)
  • Tire pressure gauge
  • A map of the area you are most often in
  • Extra fuses
  • A folding shovel
  • Detailing supplies like microfibers, 303 protectant, Zaino Z6 (I'm a detailing nut)
  • Water (at least a liter)
  • Twine
  • A mixed selection of Ziplock and trash bags
  • Rubber gloves
  • tissues (Kleenex travel packs do nicely)
  • Jumper cables
  • Duct tape
  • Flashlights (one LED and one regular)\
  • A poncho
  • A space blanket (foil blanket)
  • A pocket knife
  • First aid kit (the bigger, the better)
  • Gasoline siphon
  • Small set of tools
  • Torx driver set and allen wrench set
  • A wrench and a pair of channel-locks
  • FRS radios (for club events)
  • Tow strap
  • bungies
  • road flares (3 or 4, at least)
  • My infamous "Do not wash this car" signs (I don't want the slobs with their nasty towels swirl-marking up my car... I told you I was a detailing nut)
  • My "I need to catch a stray dog" kit with dog treats and a slip lead (so I can help get the little ones home)
Every spring you should replace the water, granola, etc...

Does anyone else have other suggestions?

Old 01-20-2006, 07:09 PM
StoopidGirl
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good lord! Are you planning on flying over a cliff in your Mini anytime soon...I think you forgot the grapling hook.

nice job...I wish I could be that prepaired, but alas, I am not. My Mini has so few items in it I wouldn't even have ketchup packets to live off of should anything happen. But, she is pink! So maybe someone would spot me from a low flying plain before I got carried off by large woodland creatures and raised in a cave....er...

Old 01-20-2006, 07:22 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thank God JW can't run again or else you might have to tow a trailer behind that Mini ...
I can only imagine how well stocked your bomb shelter is.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:30 PM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by StoopidGirl
Good lord! Are you planning on flying over a cliff in your Mini anytime soon...I think you forgot the grapling hook.
What? someone left the door unlocked tonight? Or are you just sneeking around the forum after hours?

Old 01-20-2006, 07:31 PM
tsukiji
4th Gear
I usually have a cell phone, credit card, and passport.

Old 01-20-2006, 07:52 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Friends you are forgetting one thing... he lives in TX... there are LOTS of open spaces and freeways with NO one around for MILES and MILES!! (and NO cell reception!)

Old 01-20-2006, 07:56 PM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Emergency kit = extra weight = carrying only the basics. I do carry some detailing supplies for other "emergencies", though.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:04 PM
cycleguru
4th Gear
kitchen sink

What no kitchen sink? Only kidding thats an awesome kit.

Old 01-20-2006, 08:19 PM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by thefuturequeenofnebraska
Friends you are forgetting one thing... he lives in TX... there are LOTS of open spaces and freeways with NO one around for MILES and MILES!! (and NO cell reception!)
No need to defend, we're just kiddin around.

Old 01-21-2006, 06:36 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
where do you live again? i usually carry a celphone. i keep my cars in top shape
(fundamentals like tire pressure, fluid levels, etc). my MCS has an air compressor and
fix-a-flat. also a roll of paper towel, cotton towels, and detailer spray in case i get
bombed by some birds.

but a small first aid kit might not be a bad idea for me.

if i was to travel by car, i would carry more stuff though like water and some snacks.
but if we get hit by some natural disaster, he would be laughing at all of us.

Old 01-21-2006, 06:56 AM
fred3
4th Gear
A book of matches and lots of real life knowhow. Where on earth do you live that you need all of that in the car when you go to and from work?

Old 01-21-2006, 09:32 AM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by agranger
Anyone else have other suggestions?
Although some may find that excessive... I would add the following ... especially if your driving on a trip. You probably don't need it for everyday driving but for trips I would add ... If your in the Boonies (as I have been) or FAR from a MINI dealer (which is easy to do) and have a problem, you will be glad you did
  • Spare Halogen bulb H7
  • Spare set hoses (excessive but nobody is going to carry those hoses in the boonies. Simpler is hose patching tape that is made to stop pinholes ... its like two roles of tape
  • small compressor
  • Spare belt
  • can of oil
  • Depending upon if your in the desert on not ... antifreeze
I would also carry a real wool blanket. Not only looks good but practical ... use for a picnic or just when cold.

Old 01-23-2006, 08:29 AM
blue_rocket2
3rd Gear
Duct tape, an emergency hammer (so you can break out a window if needed) and non-perishable food (beef jerky, granola bars, energy bars etc.). I live in CA and always have provisions in my car, because you don't know when or where an earthquake could happen, and you want to be able to get by in an emergency.

Old 01-23-2006, 10:44 AM
L0KI
3rd Gear
I think you should replace the pocket knife with a "leatherman"... I mean, how do you expect to saw off your arm just in case it gets pinned???

Old 01-24-2006, 06:31 PM
agranger
6th Gear
I've thought about the oil and I just saw an oil bag (water tight w/ velcro to keep it upright) in a catalog recently (Moss?) that I just might have to have.

The hose patch tape is also not a bad idea, as long as it doesn't take up too much room.

Packing belts and hoses??? It sounds like you drive a classic Mini, not a MINI.

The leatherman is also a good idea! The next time I see a less expensive knock-off (well made), I might just have to do that.

I am at least bright enough to let someone know where I am and when I plan to be back (unlike that unfortunate moron who had to saw his arm off because he was stupid enough to go solo packing through rough terain without telling anyone where he was going). I think that nature is cool, but I respect it enough to know that it can knock even the best of us on our ***.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:36 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cycleguru
What no kitchen sink? Only kidding thats an awesome kit.
Too funny.

Actualy, I use more of this stuff on folks who are stranded on the side of the road... not on my own car. I'm lucky enough now that I have a new car that I can afford to keep well maintained and supplied. Years ago, I wasn't so lucky and I relied on the kindness of others several times to get me out of a tough spot. Being prepared for my own misfortunes now allows me to help the occasional person who needs a jump start or who has run out of gas and is stranded on the roadside. It's my version of paying it forward.

Old 01-24-2006, 06:40 PM
LombardStreet
Haven't purposely assembled an emergency kit, but I've gradually accumulated...

glovebox
MINI dealership atlas
sunglasses
Kleenex
spare reading glasses
spare batteries for MP3 player and flashlight
insurance card, registration, etc.
disposable camera (nice to have along - I've actually used one to take pics at an accident scene. My cell phone can also take pics. Also comes in handy for those inevitable, "Oh, if we only had a camera" moments!)

driver's side door pocket
Collapsible umbrella

passenger side door pocket
windbreaker that folds into itself to make a pillow

rear seat pocket, driver's side
tire pressure gauge

boot
Goretex windbreaker
big floppy canvas hat
sunscreen
Gerber Multi-plier (similar to Leatherman)
utility knife with snap-off blades
Mini Maglite flashlight (hey, great name!)
local phone book (white + yellow pages)
local map book (Thomas Bros.)
local "Entertainment" discount coupons book
OEM jack, toolkit, etc.
neoprene sleeve for my laptop
laptop to cell phone cable (to use phone as a modem)
Slime "Spair" kit - flat sealant + 12V compressor (in boot side compartment)
this cool machine-washable beach blanket/picnic blanket we got at Costco

in a cupholder - (last but DEFINITELY not least!)
my cell phone, programmed with numbers for my insurance co., MINI Roadside Assistance, and CalTrans highway conditions

Probably next thing to add will be some paper towels.

I have been a swim coach off and on for much of my life, so that might explain why there's so much sun and rain gear. I feel naked without having that stuff around!

Old 01-24-2006, 06:42 PM
LombardStreet
P.S.

If you don't have your insurance company (and policy number) and roadside assistance numbers in your cell phone's phonebook, I suggest you do it NOW!

Old 01-24-2006, 06:52 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Insurance, ID, AAA Cards ...
Sunglasses, quarters for car wash
iPod, phone charger, phone, work out bag for Gym

Old 01-16-2007, 12:48 PM
agranger
6th Gear
It's been about a year since posting this so I thought I'd check back in...

Here's a list of the things I've used from the 'emergency kit' in the past year:

1. Cash - It's always handy to have $10-20 in the boot... I went to a 'cash only' restaraunt for breakfast once and this saved me when I forgot to hit the ATM on my way there.

2. Siphon - I pulled a gallon or so from the MINI into the tank of a guy who was stuck on the side of the road with his family in the back.

3. Tow strap - I pulled a broken-down Oldsmobile off of the road to get him out of the flow of traffic after trying...

4. Jumper cables - they didn't work to get the Oldsmobile started, but they did jump the car of a co-worker who had a dead battery.

5. Granola bars - I felt like I had a 'low blood sugar' during a gimmick rally... this was an easy sugar fix.

6. Tools - I installed an rear tower brace (behind the back seats) one afternoon over lunch... I couldn't wait until I could get home! I've also installed a few club grill badges using the tools in the bag.

7. First Aid - I've pulled a few packs of Tylenol out and a couple of bandaids for folks I met along the way. Luckily, I haven't needed anything from the first-aid kit myself.

8. The "Do not wash my car" signs... every time I go to my dealership, one gets left on the dash.

9. Trash bags - I helped to organize a 'service station' for MTTS in Dallas... when someone mentioned the need for a trash bag, I was prepared.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:28 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
You know, there is nothing in there really unique to a MINI, this should apply to all cars and its a good list!

Old 01-16-2007, 03:40 PM
agranger
6th Gear
I'm ditching the runflats soon... so I picked up a Dynaplug tire repair kit (http://www.dynaplug.com/domestic.html) to add to the emergency bag. It works well for screw and nail holes in both runflat and regular tires. I might take the tire in to a reputable shop for a inside-out repair when I had the time after I got home, but Dynaplug seems like a very good solution for a road-side repair. I'll still carry the Slime and compressor, but I'd rather not use the Slime unless it was absolutely necessary. It isn't as bad for the tire as fix-a-flat, but it still might cause some imbalance at higher speeds... I don't know if I would want to be on the track with a 'Slimed' tire.

All of the plugs and instructions for the Dynaplug fit inside of the handle of the tool (an oversized ice pick with a hollow 'pick'), so it fits nicely into the kit.

Thanks to the White Roof Radio guys and Motoringfile for the mention of this thread! Love the show! Love the site!

Old 01-16-2007, 05:20 PM
KTsMom
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by agranger
Thanks to the White Roof Radio guys and Motoringfile for the mention of this thread! Love the show! Love the site!
You ain't nuthin but a suck up, Mr. Boy Scout Man!!

You know I luv ya Aaron, gotta give you some crappola. (get it crappola to go with the granola in your boot... ) :bighug:

Old 01-16-2007, 06:41 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Originally Posted by KTsMom
You ain't nuthin but a suck up, Mr. Boy Scout Man!!

You know I luv ya Aaron, gotta give you some crappola. (get it crappola to go with the granola in your boot... ) :bighug:
That's OK... just wait until you see what I did to your photo on the 'Blue Face' thread on MM.org!

http://www.metroplexmini.org/forum/s...0&postcount=23

Old 08-28-2007, 11:05 AM
mrs.mini
2nd Gear
Looking at old postings and thought I would make a comment - I too have an emergency preparedness kit in my boot - but I am an emergency manager. I have never had to use any of the stuff in my kit on myself, but I have saved/helped others - giving a jump, medical aid at a multiple car crash scenes, etc. I could preach about preparedness all day, but everyone should have a kit in their cars, home, and office.

Quick Reply: Interior/Exterior How well prepared is your MINI?