Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Service Engine Soon Light

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 11:50 AM
turtlesocks
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Service Engine Soon Light

Hi,

This is my first post. I got my MINI three weeks ago. (finally) Long ten month wait but well worth it. After two weeks my SERVICE ENGINE SOON light came on. I know about the gas cap, always check and recheck before leaving station. I have only got gas twice anyway. I called the dealership, they told me to play with the gas cap and see if the light went out. That same day the light turned off. But the next morning back on and stayed on for two days then off one night?? Then back on again. I have an appointment Saturday, but I was wondering if any one else has this problem???

My MINI Cooper S is Hpyer Blue with a black top and black bonnet stripes. It is also an automatic wtih steptronic.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:07 PM
sundancekc
2nd Gear
Seems to be a problem with the Auto Cooper S. See Ian's post here.

I've heard of this happening to owners of the Auto. S elsewhere too.

I'm sure a fix is forthcoming...

Old 04-06-2005, 12:08 PM
erik99
3rd Gear
Take it to the dealer. They will need to read the fault codes from your car's computer. There is a separate idiot light for the gas cap, it must be something else.

You can purchase a code scanner yourself, but it doens't sound like you'd be interested in working on your 3 week old car.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:10 PM
MyPocketRocket
6th Gear
Service engine light came on my car after I replaced the spark plug wires and it took 3 drive cycles to reset it back to normal.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:11 PM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
I am also experiencing the light coming on intermittently on my auto S. My service advisor says MINI is aware of it, but no fix as yet.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:45 PM
supergimp
4th Gear
Funny. My MCSA lit up its SES light today. I guess I won't worry so much.

Steve

Old 04-06-2005, 01:17 PM
turtlesocks
1st Gear
Thank You All.

I was worried at first, now I'm not as worried.

Thanks again.

Old 04-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Scanner
2nd Gear
my MCSa is also 3wks old and SES light came on last week...clears itself after 3 re-start/drive cycles...comes back every now and again...otherwise all runs great...a buddy told me "welcome to the world of BMW" !!!

Old 04-06-2005, 04:36 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you read the MINI internal memo you will see that a specific sequence of interactions can cause the SES light to come on.
I am not convinced that I did the specific sequence yesterday, prior to the light coming on - my suspicion is that there is more than one possible way to trip the spurious fault.

The memo is obviously in response to other previous problems prior to March 23 (the memos date) and is, I think, primarily a measure to prevent the costs associated with changing many O2 sensors!
Previous software issues like this often result in a "quick fix" which does not always solve the problems properly, or generates new ones.
Hopefully there will be a thorough understanding of the issue and a "good fix" instead, even if we have to wait and ignore our SES light for a month or so.

Old 04-06-2005, 05:12 PM
eVal
6th Gear
I also have this issue and posted about it here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=40492

If you take it to the dealer they will put you on the 'PUMA" list and notify you when they have a fix.

Gawd I hate taking my to the dealer - if I had known at the time that the issue wasn't a danger to the car I would have waited :P

Old 04-09-2005, 09:38 AM
lisdexic driver
3rd Gear
Hi, I'm having the same "check engine soon light" problem in my new MCSa, at 700+ miles came on, lasted a day, long enoght to make an apointment to be looked at. Then went off for 3 days, back on for a day and now its off. I'm wondering if I need to take it in now. I have an apointment on Monday, but sound from ya'all like its a software glitch in the autos. I may blow off taking it in untill it either stays on or I hear they have a fix.

By the by, how feakin cool is this transmision??? Love it! Saves my leg when trapped in LA traffic, and rips like a beast when call on.

Old 04-09-2005, 10:32 AM
lotsie
Banned
The biggest problem I see with this issue is what if the light comes on for a real problem and you ignore itKind of like the don't cry wolf syndrome

Old 04-09-2005, 11:01 AM
Nuvolari
4th Gear
I talked with my service advisor Thursday about the service light staying on. She talked with the higher-ups, and there will be a "fix" with the next release of software in May. She also said it is happening to both the autos and manuals. It has something to do with oil pressure in the crankcase when going down hills in low gears when the engine is cold. They said to coast down in a higher gear if it bothers you.

"Yes, officer, the reason I was going 55mph in a 35 is because BMW advised me to coast down this hill in 4th gear."

After many cycles of going off and coming on, it will just stay lit until you go in for service - and you won't know if anything else goes wrong.

Old 04-09-2005, 01:27 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lot15
The biggest problem I see with this issue is what if the light comes on for a real problem and you ignore itKind of like the don't cry wolf syndrome
This is why I would advise everyone, auto tranny or not, to go to the dealership and have them check the cause of SES light - at least the first time. Then you have confirmation it is the O2 sensor issue, and you have a record of the issue at the dealership.
Note that even if the light clears before you reach the dealership, they can identify what caused it.

Old 04-09-2005, 02:37 PM
atomtbomb
2nd Gear
The SES light just came on today in my 2 week old MCSa. I live halfway up a hill and have to travel down it on my way to work, so this seems like the most likely cause. Hopefully it's nothing to worry about...I'm gonna call the dealership Monday and see what they have to say.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:11 PM
turtlesocks
1st Gear
Hello all,

I took my mini into the dealer today. Great trip to Scottsdale from Tucson around 120 miles. And got a new O2 Sensor installed. The SES light still off. Just hope it stays that way. Paperwork said PO136 O2 sensor bank 1 behind Cat malfunction just incase anyone knows what that means. They washed my mini too.

Old 04-09-2005, 09:32 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
Mine came on at 2 days old Merlins at the dealership while i'm out of town..

Old 04-09-2005, 09:50 PM
JCampos
6th Gear
I think the auto S's are asking to have a manual tranny put in

Old 04-09-2005, 10:00 PM
XAlfa
Banned
Originally Posted by JCampos
I think the auto S's are asking to have a manual tranny put in
Nice.

Old 04-10-2005, 06:09 PM
jsoltan
3rd Gear
Today, after normal driving for about 20 to 25 minutes my Check Engine Soon light and Flat Tire Monitor light and DSC light and EML light came on. I could drive it at a reduced speed since engine was at reduced revs. Drove the car home and check fluids, etc. and let the car sit for about one hour. Started it up again and NO Warning Lights at all just the Check Engine Soon light on. Will go to the dealer in the morning but anybody got any ideas about what could be wrong? Car is an 04 MCS.

Old 04-10-2005, 06:38 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jsoltan
Today, after normal driving for about 20 to 25 minutes my Check Engine Soon light and Flat Tire Monitor light and DSC light and EML light came on. I could drive it at a reduced speed since engine was at reduced revs. Drove the car home and check fluids, etc. and let the car sit for about one hour. Started it up again and NO Warning Lights at all just the Check Engine Soon light on. Will go to the dealer in the morning but anybody got any ideas about what could be wrong? Car is an 04 MCS.
That's definitely a different problem!
A bad steering angle or wheel speed sensor can cause a fault like this - your dealer should have diagnostics available. But if all the lights cleared on the next engine start, it sounds like a non-sensor problem, perhaps loose wiring somewhere.

Old 04-10-2005, 07:11 PM
sundancekc
2nd Gear
Bad wiring harness?

I heard of similar symptoms on two local MINIs and both had a wiring harness replaced to fix the problem.

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 04-11-2005, 05:47 AM
joeysmurf
1st Gear
I just had this happen this morning with my 03. Driving in traffic the DCS, check engine, airbag all came on... doing moderate 65mph, then the engine felt as if it was misfiring. It was very strange, almost like you just threw a rod (yes that dramatic in power loss) then after putting along (afraid to cut it off) at 40-50 it just cleared up and boom it was at full power. The DCS light went off but the service light and the airbag are still on. I am attempting to call mini now.

Does anyone know what this might be? Onlything I have on the motor is a Alta intake.

joeysmurf

Old 04-11-2005, 08:49 AM
JCampos
6th Gear
EXACT same thing happened to me once. I just pulled over, restarted the car, and all was well except the SES light was on. This has only ever happened twice, and from what Ive seen its a wiring harness problem so Im not gonna argue with the dealer over warranty work since my car is pretty modded.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:41 AM
lisdexic driver
3rd Gear
in the shop boo-hoo

So at just south of 900 mile on the odometer, the little green beasty is in the freakin shop. Check engine light kept coming on. https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...te=1&p=519832#

I felt sad to drive away in the rent-a-focus. I truly adore my mini and hope this is a simple fix and not a sign of how our relationship is going to be.

Quick Reply: Service Engine Soon Light