R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 RIP Nano...

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 11:01 AM
Kamofrogg
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RIP Nano...

Well, it seems there has been some talk going around the forums about our mishap on the Dragon this weekened, so I may as well get it out there. I was driving the dragon on Sunday, came around a curve that took me by surprise, and went off the road, flipping poor Nano right into the air. We were on the roof for a bit, then came to rest on the driver's side. Matt will post a more detailed thread later, along with pictures, but I wanted everyone to know that we are all okay (all three of us, including our 5 year old walked away from the wreckage), but it looks like a total loss for the car. We'll miss him dearly, but the car did it's job and not only saved our lives, but protected us well. Killboy got some pictures of the car on the flatbed on the way down. And thanks again to Chuck and Barbara for all your help. We would have been lost without you Sunday.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:19 AM
sbeezy
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thank god you all are ok

Old 10-23-2007, 12:03 PM
eager2own
6th Gear
thank god you all are ok
That's what really matters.
Nano was a great car -- but replaceable . . . glad to hear you and your family are alright.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:05 PM
minimk3
3rd Gear
oh no...

I am so glad to hear that all of you are OK. Fiona will surely miss Nano

Old 10-23-2007, 12:10 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh my - oh my - I'm SO glad you all are okay!!! The MINI did it's job and there will be another one.. Your 5 year old sounds like a brave little sole.

Donna

Old 10-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm so sorry.

The important thing is that you and your family are okay. Nano can be replaced, and it did a good job of keeping you guys safe.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:27 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Kara, don't know if you were aware of it, but Andrew (Yucca Patrol) and David (koolmini), assisted in calming traffic on the Dragon to warn the other motorists in the area about the wreck.

I am so sorry you had the accident, but am also so very relieved that all three of you are okay. Did you get checked out by doctors? Sometimes injuries don't show up right away. Take care.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:54 PM
MiniWidower
1st Gear
Kamofrogg, I'm so sorry to hear about your misadventure. But you all are ok and the Mini can be replaced. I rode up to the Dragon last summer with 10 other motorcycles (10 cruisers and one crotch rocket). The crotch rocket didn’t even make it all the way up to the Dragon before crashing, and one of the cruisers was taken out on the Dragon by an SUV Monster that cut the center line on a blind curve. Needless to say – it’s called the Dragon for a reason. Glad all are ok.

Last edited by MiniWidower; 10-23-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:40 PM
CooperGear
Banned
Sorry that this happened. On the bright side you can always order an 08' and have it painted HO.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:11 PM
2phun
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MiniWidower
Needless to say – it’s called the Dragon for a reason. Glad all are ok.
Glad this sobering reminder only cost you and your family a car. Definitely happy to hear you all came out okay.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Mishka
6th Gear
So sorry to hear this. Jene (Catterfly) and I are very glad that no one was injured. Nano will be missed, but you guys can't be replaced.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Kamofrogg
2nd Gear
If you want to see pictures now, you can go to Killboy.com and then October 21st. We're on the first page, he got nine shots. He got the good side of the car (the side that ended up in the air). The poor driver's side is a mess. Looking at it like on the flatbed, it doesn't look so bad. Wait till Matt get's his posted though.

Old 10-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Raiyu
3rd Gear
Sorry to hear about the accident. I was completely shocked when I read that you took your 5 year old for a spirited drive along the dragon. Hopefully it was a big-time wake up call for you, and you won't jeopardize your child's life again.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:46 PM
meg
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Kamofrogg
If you want to see pictures now, you can go to Killboy.com and then October 21st. We're on the first page, he got nine shots. He got the good side of the car (the side that ended up in the air). The poor driver's side is a mess. Looking at it like on the flatbed, it doesn't look so bad. Wait till Matt get's his posted though.
Damage looks similar to mine, except mine was on the passenger side. It was the cumulative total of repairs that totalled the car in my case, and will probably be the same for you.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:51 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Kara, Matt and Grayson - As all others have said - I'm just glad you guys are safe.

But, given that Nano was truly one-of-a-kind, I thought a tribute was in order. Not trying to make you cry, Kara - please think happy thoughts about what a great car Nano was, and what a great car his replacement will be. Let's remember Nano as one of the truly distinguished MINIs in the NAMily - not on some flatbed truck. Things I learned from Nano live on in my MINI, and in MANY other MINIs across the country.

Nano Cook, King of MINI Illumination

Nano Cook, 1 1/2, departed our land of mostly-straight roads and speed limits on October 21, 2007. Never happy to be "just a MINI", Nano was a pioneer in alternative MINI illumination, fearlessly enduring countless minor and major surgeries in his quest for perfect "Blue-mination"...

Nano's pioneering spirit introduced to us the highly popular "Light that Boot" mod, under-seat lighting for cabrios, many LED replacement lighting options, Hella Optilux 2500 driving lights, and 101 uses for Oznium LED strips, some considered too radical by the conservative, timid, and self-conscious MINI sub-groups. Nano was also a test subject for Outmotoring gauge faces and other products.

Picturesque in the daylight as well as in the dark, Nano was featured in the 2007 NAM calendar with a photo many know and love.

While we wish our motoring companions could be with us forever, Nano left us in the way a great car is meant to - protecting his family from harm, while taking all the Dragon could dish out. Matt, Kara and Grayson walked away intact due to Nano's strength when it mattered. And that beats the heck outta rusting in some shed somewhere.

I see lots of MINIs that never have seen a twisty road, that don't know what a mod is, and, 5 years after delivery, look just like they did when new, only dirtier and more banged up. Nano didn't stay with us long, but he "lived the life" ALL MINIs are created for, but so few experience - being truly loved by his owners, bringing them immense happiness, tearing up the twisties, helping forge many new friendships, and creating an indelible image in the minds of motorers across our land.

Motor on, Nano. You will be missed.

Last edited by BlimeyCabrio; 02-28-2008 at 08:08 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Kamofrogg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Raiyu
Sorry to hear about the accident. I was completely shocked when I read that you took your 5 year old for a spirited drive along the dragon. Hopefully it was a big-time wake up call for you, and you won't jeopardize your child's life again.
Thanks for this. Just what I needed to hear, when I'm still feeling the pain and guilt of what has happened. In the future, try to be more respectful, and either keep thoughts like these to yourself, or in the least, don't post them publicly. I'm not stupid, and I would never jeopardize my family's life on purpose. What an unthoughtful thing to say. I sent out this post for hopes of sympathy from fellow MINI owners, and I get more guilt.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Kamofrogg
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BlimeyCabrio
Kara, Matt and Grayson - As all others have said - I'm just glad you guys are safe.

But, given that Nano was truly one-of-a-kind, I thought a tribute was in order. Not trying to make you cry, Kara - please think happy thoughts about what a great car Nano was, and what a great car his replacement will be. Let's remember Nano as one of the truly distinguished MINIs in the NAMily - not on some flatbed truck. Things I learned from Nano live on in my MINI, and in MANY other MINIs across the country.

Nano Cook, King of MINI Illumination

Nano Cook, 1 1/2, departed our land of mostly-straight roads and speed limits on October 21, 2007. Never happy to be "just a MINI", Nano was a pioneer in alternative MINI illumination, fearlessly enduring countless minor and major surgeries in his quest for perfect "Blue-mination"...

Nano's pioneering spirit introduced to us the highly popular "Light that Boot" mod, under-seat lighting for cabrios, many LED replacement lighting options, Hella Optilux 2500 driving lights, and 101 uses for Oznium LED strips, some considered too radical by the conservative, timid, and self-conscious MINI sub-groups. Nano was also a test subject for Outmotoring gauge faces and other products.

Picturesque in the daylight as well as in the dark, Nano was featured in the 2007 NAM calendar with a photo many know and love.

While we wish our motoring companions could be with us forever, Nano left us in the way a great car is meant to - protecting his family from harm, while taking all the Dragon could dish out. Matt, Kara and Grayson walked away intact due to Nano's strength when it mattered. And that beats the heck outta rusting in some shed somewhere.

I see lots of MINIs that never have seen a twisty road, that don't know what a mod is, and, 5 years after delivery, look just like they did when new, only dirtier and more banged up. Nano didn't stay with us long, but he "lived the life" ALL MINIs are created for, but so few experience - being truly loved by his owners, bringing them immense happiness, tearing up the twisties, helping forge many new friendships, and creating a indelible image in the minds of motorers across our land.

Motor on, Nano. You will be missed.
Thank you so much for this Paul. It was well thought out, and well spoken. I plan to keep this thread, and refer back to it often. You're a great MINI friend, and I'm glad we met.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:22 PM
BlimeyCabrio
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Ignore the blowhole, Kara. Trust me, they have a nice full inbox of love letters already from your friends here. Anything you did, I've done in spades and will do again. You just had a bad stroke of luck. And your family is safe.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:23 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am so sorry to hear about Nano, but I am more glad to hear that everyone is ok.

Old 10-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A MINI icon is gone, but I know I will never forget that great MINI. . . .

When I imagine a hot orange cabrio, there is only Nano in my mind.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:16 PM
Alpha Motoring
6th Gear
Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Thank you so much for this Paul. It was well thought out, and well spoken. I plan to keep this thread, and refer back to it often. You're a great MINI friend, and I'm glad we met.
Thats what the MINI family/community is all about! I remember this HO MCSc even before I got my MINI and when I was just looking around on this forum. This was really a really sweet MINI, it did it's job well and it protected you and your family on the bright side, you still have a Classic Mini! This was one of the convertible MINIs that I always liked a lot, I always liked your driving lights, I remember you helped me out on advice for driving lights a while back. Sweet ride, and I hope you'll get another MINI soon! Sweet MINI

Old 10-23-2007, 07:24 PM
CooperGear
Banned
Just saw the pictures, I am glad that you are all ok. Ouch! Nano was a great car that was one of a kind. I will miss seeing more pictures of him.

Old 10-23-2007, 07:27 PM
MiniMac2005
6th Gear
Sorry for the loss of your Nano What a great looking MCSC.

Glad to hear you're ok and was able to walk away unharmed. It's also reassuring to know your passengers (especially your son in the rear seat) came away ok as well. Knowing the Cabrio can protect it's passengers in a roll-over is very comforting.

Love that Hot Orange! Hope you can find another one

Last edited by MiniMac2005; 10-23-2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: typo.. meant Nano...
Old 10-23-2007, 07:48 PM
MiniWidower
1st Gear
Kamofrogg - don't pay any attention to Raiyu. Some people can't help themselves - probably never had a puppy as a child

Dreaming of riding in Rosie

Or probably never had someone special to share the joy with like you did with Nano

This would be funner in my Mini

By the way - Nano looked like what Rosie wanted to be when she grows up!

Rosie on the day she came home

Remember Nano - then get a new one ("Nano Nano"?)

Dude - that was so bad I hide my face in shame!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:51 PM
Some Guy
6th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I am really glad to hear that you are alright. Your mini was such a sweet car, it was the inspiration for one of my first mods. It will be missed.

Quick Reply: R52 RIP Nano...