R60 :: Countryman Talk (2010-2015) R60 Cooper and Cooper S hatchback discussion NOT REPAIR RELATED Discussions.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

R60 What to look out for??!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Rckstrgrl21
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow What to look out for??!?

Hello,

So I currently have a 2011 R56 S with 60K miles and it has spent more time at the dealer getting serviced than at my house.

I am currently in negotiation with MINI USA to get me into a different MINI that is a little more reliable.

I am thinking perhaps getting a Countryman.

What years have been the most reliable?

What years do I need to stay away from?

Any packages not worth the $?

Any MUST HAVE packages?

Thank you!

Old 09-02-2015, 10:57 AM
techgearpro
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FWIW...
Consider the new MINI 2-door unless you need 4 doors.
Consider the new MINI 4-door unless you need AWD.

If you still decide that the Countryman is the way to go, I recommend the ALL4 as it at least gives a reason to have the lifted CUV look. Not sure if you need that in San Diego.

Other than that, I ordered mine with arm rest and flat load floor. I had considered leaving them off but am glad I didn't. Yes, it is silly that they are not included and MINI charges $250 for each of them.

Panoramic Sunroof - Was my favorite feature of my 2003 MCS too.
Comfort Access - Nice, but I still tend to hit the remote to unlock all doors and put the key in as a matter of habit.
Premium Package - Only if you feel you need both of the above.

Heated Seats - Only if you live in a cold climate or have back problems.
Power Folding Mirrors - Only if you park on narrow city streets often.
Cold Weather Package - Only if you need both of the above (or you are getting the 2016 with the auto-dimming mirrors too).

You should be able to easily find a car with the above options, if you want an Auto transmission. Speaking of which, I wanted manual but needed to get auto for my wife to be able to drive. I've been pretty happy with the auto, especially in sport mode with the paddle shifters. Yes, I know it isn't the same.

Xenons - Skip unless you have had them in an earlier car. I went back and forth, even after getting my car. They are brighter but the LED fog lights do a nice job filling the gap.
MINI Connected - Seems like more trouble than it is worth. I use the USB port with the Lightning cable and have "Hey Siri" enabled on my iPhone.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Rckstrgrl21
2nd Gear
I am considering a trade to the countryman for a few reasons:

A) I think the newer body styled MINI looks like an alien space ship
B) Within the next 5 years I will be having an addition to my family and the 4 door would be nice.

I like the ALL4 however the gas milage + higher cost isn't worth it to me as I won't be needing all 4 but 3x/year.

What does this flat floor do? just makes it level to the hatch? seems kind of a waste of extra $?

I am a big Xenon fan, all my MINI's have had them.

I prefer Manual but ill compromise if an automatic has better options as I am buying used.

Any particular year to stay away from?

there are 3 different 2014 I like, the top of my list has 25K miles but more of the options I want. there is one with fewer options but only 9K miles. and one with leather with 10K miles.

Originally Posted by techgearpro
FWIW...

If you still decide that the Countryman is the way to go, I recommend the ALL4 as it at least gives a reason to have the lifted CUV look. Not sure if you need that in San Diego.

Other than that, I ordered mine with arm rest and flat load floor. I had considered leaving them off but am glad I didn't. Yes, it is silly that they are not included and MINI charges $250 for each of them.

Comfort Access - Nice, but I still tend to hit the remote to unlock all doors and put the key in as a matter of habit.

Cold Weather Package - Only if you need both of the above (or you are getting the 2016 with the auto-dimming mirrors too).

You should be able to easily find a car with the above options, if you want an Auto transmission. Speaking of which, I wanted manual but needed to get auto for my wife to be able to drive. I've been pretty happy with the auto, especially in sport mode with the paddle shifters. Yes, I know it isn't the same.

Xenons - Skip unless you have had them in an earlier car. I went back and forth, even after getting my car. They are brighter but the LED fog lights do a nice job filling the gap.
MINI Connected - Seems like more trouble than it is worth. I use the USB port with the Lightning cable and have "Hey Siri" enabled on my iPhone.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:51 PM
S4SF
2nd Gear
2011/2012 are troublesome

2013+ has most major bugs worked out

Old 09-02-2015, 02:31 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
The first year had the most issues, some clutch issues for the manuals, rear diff. But mostly all years are fine. Good luck.

" What does this flat floor do? just makes it level to the hatch? seems kind of a waste of extra $? "

makes a top flat level floor like an BMW X3 or X5 , then storage underneath.

Flat level floor folded up.

and down

No flat level floor option.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-02-2015, 08:09 PM
Rckstrgrl21
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by S4SF
2011/2012 are troublesome

2013+ has most major bugs worked out
Thank you very much!

Originally Posted by ECSTuning
The first year had the most issues, some clutch issues for the manuals, rear diff. But mostly all years are fine. Good luck. :-)

Thanks
Thank you for all the info!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:04 PM
flav
5th Gear
Originally Posted by techgearpro
FWIW...

Chatted with the service advisor this week and he said he doesn't see a lot of Countryman come in with issues. What he does see a lot of is the new 2 door and 4 door MINIs. he said it was because of the new engines and drivetrain there have been numerous issues.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:12 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
What to look out for??!?

get the sport suspension!

both my sister and i have all4s, mine with sport suspension and hers with standard

mine handles MUCH better and on rough chicago streets mine rides better!

i also have 18 inch wheels ... much better choice of tires available than the stock 17 inch size

get the flat load floor ... it is removeable if need be but is over $1000 to add after the fact

my sister has the sunroof, i do not ... my all4 is much quieter than hers even with the sunroof closed AND the sunroof adds 80 kg (176 pounds) at the highest point of the car ... it definitely affects handling

the winter package gets both heated seats and heated outside mirrors ... drys dew off the mirrors ... very nice and i love the heated seats ... instant heat before the engine warms up enough to provide heat to the cabin

get the center armrest ... it is well placed ... works well

i passed on comfort access and do not miss it

i passed on navigation pkg ... $200 to update! google maps is free and always up to date

passed on connect ... i just don't see the need

i got the anthracite headliner ... love it compared to my sisters stock light tan headliner ... the anthracite matchs the rest of the interior

Last edited by bmwr606; 09-02-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:54 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Originally Posted by Rckstrgrl21
Thank you very much!

Thank you for all the info!

You are welcome.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 10-13-2015, 06:21 AM
countryman-s
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trust me on this!

If you like the hid headlights, you will absolutely love the adaptive option!!! Headlights turn in the corners. I have seen that if you don't get it first you are about SOL later, unless you have deep pockets

Old 10-15-2015, 06:43 AM
shark715
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by countryman-s
If you like the hid headlights, you will absolutely love the adaptive option!!! Headlights turn in the corners. I have seen that if you don't get it first you are about SOL later, unless you have deep pockets
Someone above suggested skipping the Xenons. We have them, and after driving a loaner car without them our opinion is that they are worth every dime. They may not be cheap, but if they prevent you from hitting something in the road or an accident just one time they likely just paid for themselves.

As far as the adaptive option, I actually disagree with countryman-s. Because the xenons are so good, we find the feature only marginally useful even though there are some very dark roads that we routinely drive on. On the other hand, the option is so inexpensive that we would likely order it again as we would not classify it as "useless".

BTW, we are on our second Countryman, and our experience is that if you want these options you are likely talking about ordering a car versus finding one on the lot. At least in our area, we found that dealers tend not to stock cars with these options, and when you do find the occasional one they are loaded with lots and lots of options that you may or may not want. For example, leather, which we think the upcharge on is just absurd given that we think the standard leatherette mimics leather so well.

But you have to realize that when you are buying a Mini you are buying a BMW product, and they do have a general reputation for not being shy about option prices. We just took delivery of a '16 M235i convertible, and loaded it up with $9000 worth of options. Unfortunately we could not resist :-)