R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Your opinions on these dealer fixes

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 11:02 AM
PSU 98
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your opinions on these dealer fixes

So I took my 2007 Cooper S to the local dealer yesterday to have 2 issues checked: TPMS not functioning properly (warning light always on) and also a yellow SES light that just popped up.

I replaced the TPMS wheel sensors a few months ago with new OEM parts, so I surmised that the TPMS issue was in one of the relay components. Dealer told me that the problem was all the tire pressures were low (fronts are kept at 35 and the rears at 32, plus it was 95 degrees here yesterday so I'm certain the runflats were probably even higher after the hour plus drive), filled the tires to 38PSI, reset the system, and called it a day.

I was told the yellow engine warning light (which had gone out by the time I arrived at the dealership unfortunately) was stored as a "charge air pressure control fault" and that the solution was to have the DME software updated on a subsequent service visit.

They also reported an oil leak at the turbo supply line and offered to repair that at the next visit, which should be covered by my aftermarket warranty.

Not really being satisfied with their diagnosis of the TPMS issue, I question whether a "software update" is necessary to address the warning light? I've not needed to have an ECU updated by the dealer in any of my other vehicles, ever. Shouldn't 2007 software be sufficient to run a 2007 model pretty much for the life of the car?

Old 09-09-2015, 12:05 PM
oldbrokenwind
6th Gear
Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts
No comment on the dealer diagnosis. However, the software update has some worthwhile improvements over the original 2007 hatchback software, specifically in the traction control system --- much less torque steer effect under hard acceleration. There are probably other improvements too. My '07 was updated when I brought it in for some warranty work. Seems they were unable to fix it without updating the SW. Probably a policy issue but maybe their scanners won't function correctly with outdated SW? The update should be FOC.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:42 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbrokenwind
No comment on the dealer diagnosis. However, the software update has some worthwhile improvements over the original 2007 hatchback software, specifically in the traction control system --- much less torque steer effect under hard acceleration. There are probably other improvements too. My '07 was updated when I brought it in for some warranty work. Seems they were unable to fix it without updating the SW. Probably a policy issue but maybe their scanners won't function correctly with outdated SW? The update should be FOC.
+1

In 2013 I had my valves walnut blasted by the dealer and they updated my software, almost no torque steer when compared to before when my Mini was hopping over into the next lane beside me under hard acceleration usually in 1st and 2nd gear. While it was exciting and got my adrenaline pumping it was in fact unsafe, I didn't feel any loss of torque, just smoother torque without the jumping into the lane next to mine.

However I always have a comment on the dealer, unnecessary since once you corrected the tire pressure difference after replacing the TPMS units your fine. I own a 07 MCS and don't even have TPMS sensors in my wheels, however my ECU can still detect if one front tire is 4 or more pounds off from the other front tire and I got warning of a flat tire. Once I corrected the tire pressure difference the warning light when out by itself after driving 10-20 miles. If the dealer had suggested getting a software upgrade to remove the torque steer in old software I would have been surprised and impressed, but when it comes to Mini dealers I'm rarely impressed but always surprised not in a good way though.

Last edited by Systemlord; 09-09-2015 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:09 AM
PSU 98
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the input. I made another appointment for dealer service, primarily to have the oil leak fixed but I will have the software update done at the same time.

Would my running different pressures front and rear have continually set off the TPMS warning? I was under the impression that once the system was reset (which I've literally had to do probably 100 times), it somehow "learned" the current pressures and only triggered when there was a significant difference from that stored pressure.

I still suspect a system flaw, since the one time when I actually had a flat runflat I never even got a warning - only felt how twitchy the steering became.

Old 09-10-2015, 01:21 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PSU 98
Thanks for the input. I made another appointment for dealer service, primarily to have the oil leak fixed but I will have the software update done at the same time.

Would my running different pressures front and rear have continually set off the TPMS warning? I was under the impression that once the system was reset (which I've literally had to do probably 100 times), it somehow "learned" the current pressures and only triggered when there was a significant difference from that stored pressure.

I still suspect a system flaw, since the one time when I actually had a flat runflat I never even got a warning - only felt how twitchy the steering became.
I only ever got a warning when my tires were off by to much, but when I got a flat tire the ECU didn't trigger any warning, it didn't need to as how can you not know you have a flat? You buy a German car and you gotta live with it, the entire car is one big flaw! Quit trying to fix something that can't be fixed, poor design can't be fixed.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:44 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
When the weather and temps really fluctuates from day to night you can get a TPMS tire low error. See if they can flash the TPMS or read more codes into it, there system they have can read more then the normal OBD2 port readers.

Good luck and let us know what happens. I have heard sometimes the receiver can go bad ( one unit that reads all four ), thus why all four show low.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-10-2015, 11:50 AM
MyYellow 07
1st Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
My TPMS seems to be pretty sensitive, and works fine, and I have had to fill and reset it myself. Not to big an issue.

The turbo oil line leak is a known problem and Mini should fix it for you, you have to complain a lot. Shouldn't go to your warranty, but it is a fairly complicated effort, so I would have it done ASAP. I guess if you have a warranty, why not?

I have never had a Software update, but I stay away from dealer in general. I am not sure what they "tune" to reduce torque steer? Would be good to hear from some tuner why/how this is done, and if it affects performance. Yes, I have torque steer, it can be fun, I am not sure I need to tune it out? Doesn't bother me.

I wonder what other Software fixes they are putting in? I guess like all this stuff, they tweak it over time to hopefully "improve" it?

Old 09-11-2015, 11:20 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MyYellow 07
My TPMS seems to be pretty sensitive, and works fine, and I have had to fill and reset it myself. Not to big an issue.

The turbo oil line leak is a known problem and Mini should fix it for you, you have to complain a lot. Shouldn't go to your warranty, but it is a fairly complicated effort, so I would have it done ASAP. I guess if you have a warranty, why not?

I have never had a Software update, but I stay away from dealer in general. I am not sure what they "tune" to reduce torque steer? Would be good to hear from some tuner why/how this is done, and if it affects performance. Yes, I have torque steer, it can be fun, I am not sure I need to tune it out? Doesn't bother me.

I wonder what other Software fixes they are putting in? I guess like all this stuff, they tweak it over time to hopefully "improve" it?
I believe Manic Tuners have the updated software for our Mini's when they reboot our ECU's, but I would inquire with a Manic Tuner to be 100% certain.