R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Singing the blues!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Shad
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Singing the blues!! 2007 copper S

First let me say I have been stocking these forums for sometime looking for answers. Some have been very helpful for that I must say thanks. Let me say this first my spelling suxs sorry for my future misspelled words. Lol this is my daughter car 16 year old had to have a Mini Cooper . Car has 65000 miles and up to about a month ago problem free about 10,000 miles then it went south. I am not a Ase mechanic by know means but I pride myself on fixing most of my own cars. Here is the rub. Car started running really bad dyeing no power miss fire on every cylinder . First thought after reading a ton high pressure fuel pump or carbon on valves . First thing I did was get set up to do a walnut valve blasting since Mini Cooper of San Antonio wanted $900 something to do the job. Long story short got the valves cleaned still not running right better but not right. Took the car to Mini Cooper they changed the high pressure fuel pump under recall car got rid of the misfire codes but still runs bad. Said for $750 they would fix the valve cover leak I had $475 for the part $300 for labor.. Picked up the car changed out the part in 30 mins for $305 plus shipping. Car still runs like crap also had to change out a very over engineered thermostat housing due to a leak. Car still runs like crap at low rpms seems to be getting worse at high way speed it is ok has a what feels like a died miss from time to time. At low rpm it shakes no power and will die from time to time. 190 psi on every cylinder when I had the valve cover off thankfully some one has already change out the time chain with a new one that is good and tight no slack and a metal top rail as a guide. All hose clamps are tight and it is giving the following codes today p2178 p1497. Any help I can get would be great. Going to go back and take the intake manifold back off and look at the PVC device under it tonight . Also the car seems to go in and out of what I would call a limp mode when it is running right .

Thanks in advance for any help that is given .

Last edited by Shad; 09-17-2014 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:23 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
what year?

Sounds like you have a air/vacuum leak somewhere.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Shad
1st Gear

Old 09-16-2014, 04:35 PM
Shad
1st Gear
I feel like that is my problem as well just not sure where it could becoming from. Not a turbo guy but learning as I go .

Old 09-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Is this a Mini Cooper S or base model.

190 psi for every cylinder, that in itself is a great sign that at least you engine is in great shape! I will tell you what I tell everyone, when you get you intake walnut blasted don't stop there. You most likely have carbon buildup in your cylinders, valve faces and on top of pistons. I purchased an 07 MCS and had the walnut blasting performed and still my engine misfired until I ran several bottles of BG 44K which cleans the entire fuel system including the carbon in the combustion chambers.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:00 PM
Shad
1st Gear
How bad did you car run and what kind of codes did your car throw ? Just took the whole intake off again and do not see any thing that pops out at me hoses wise looked at the valves again and they look ok . This thing really runs bad at low rpms I can start to drive it again if that is what it takes have ran some lucas injecter cleaner and currently have chevron techron in the tank now.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:59 PM
Shad
1st Gear
Looking closer to the intake valve I see a Siemens vdo I assume or think this is the throttle body ? My ? Is in the shelf state should there be blow by, mine seems to be a servo type deal but is slightly open in the self state?

Old 09-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Hickey
1st Gear
Needs a smoke test to check for a vacuum leak. A tiny leak can really throw these digital age cars into a fit.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:37 PM
Shad
1st Gear
Don't think I have the know how to do a smoke test or the tools. :( anybody out there from texas in Austin , San antiono or houston that would have this service at a fair price my dealership expectancies have not given my a very good taste in my mouth. Not looking for a free service but a fair price I know tools and skills are hard to come by.
Thanks

Old 09-16-2014, 08:27 PM
Hickey
1st Gear
Stay away from the dealership. Find you an honest independent shop. Preferably one that specializes in imports. They will have the equipment. Probably an hour labor for the test.

Old 09-17-2014, 02:13 PM
Shad
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Is this a Mini Cooper S or base model.

190 psi for every cylinder, that in itself is a great sign that at least you engine is in great shape! I will tell you what I tell everyone, when you get you intake walnut blasted don't stop there. You most likely have carbon buildup in your cylinders, valve faces and on top of pistons. I purchased an 07 MCS and had the walnut blasting performed and still my engine misfired until I ran several bottles of BG 44K which cleans the entire fuel system including the carbon in the combustion chambers.

mini cooper s

Old 09-17-2014, 02:15 PM
Shad
1st Gear
filter looking deal that goes in to the fire wall should I be able to blow threw it. round canister ? also on the pcv device under the intake manifold there seems to be a port with nothing hooked to it is it a vent of some sort.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Shad
mini cooper s
190 psi seems a little high for a turbocharged engine.

Old 12-16-2014, 01:51 PM
Shad
1st Gear
The 1497 code was caused by a bad timing chain .. GHM in Houston did a good job of fixing the car would recommend them to any one in Houston .

Old 12-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
The 1497 code was caused by a bad timing chain .. GHM in Houston did a good job of fixing the car would recommend them to any one in Houston .
So you finely found the culprit, that's great! I'm sure the tensioner was also to blame. I'm still amazed that you got 190 psi in all cylinders!

Ever have a look down through the spark plug hole? The carbon in your cylinders could explain why your readings are so high.

Old 12-16-2014, 04:13 PM
mini_wisconsin
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm glad to hear that your car is fixed! I assume that the cost of the timing chain replacement was covered under the campaign... correct?

Old 12-18-2014, 01:57 PM
mattjewell
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mini_wisconsin
I'm glad to hear that your car is fixed! I assume that the cost of the timing chain replacement was covered under the campaign... correct?
What campaign? My Mini dealer seams to have no idea what I'm talking about when bring this up..