MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+)
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 07:40 AM
3rd Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
Carbon Cleaning - BG Fuel Air Induction Cleaning Service

Dealer says that my 2007 R56 S needs carbon cleaning due to excessive buildup in intake valves, combustion chamber, fuel injectors. He wants to charge $600+

I found a local mechanic shop nearby that does the BG Fuel Air Induction Cleaning Service and will charge $160. Youtube video linked below. Will this help?

http://youtu.be/3Bad4te5Tao

Thank you.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:48 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Can't tell from the video.....seems like they would have to include the PVC system and they don't say. If it's just for the injectors, which would seem to be the typical approach, then it wouldn't do much. Not that I know much about this....just have a Clubman with 90k on it that probably needs to be cleaned.
Daughter's: '05 Pure Silver MC
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Reading here it seems the ways are either Walnut Shells or manually cleaning on intake valves.

How to manually clean the valves. Has anyone done it?
Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 AM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Gallery
Yup, I've done it. Don't bother trying to use BG or Seafoam to try and fix the issue if the dealer says you need it that badly. Walnut blasting is the best solution but you can do a pretty good job cleaning it out by hand if you have patience.

'09 MINI Cooper S Track Toy Lessons Learned

Studies show 100% of people die, so you might as well have some fun while you're at it.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyshane View Post
Yup, I've done it. Don't bother trying to use BG or Seafoam to try and fix the issue if the dealer says you need it that badly. Walnut blasting is the best solution but you can do a pretty good job cleaning it out by hand if you have patience.
I would rather do it on my own. Is there a DIY out there? Car has 85K miles and I think the coking is quite severe. Any ideas how to do it manually?
Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 PM
6th Gear

Gallery
Search around here, there's been a DIY posted with pictures. You may have to go to Google and add "site:northamericanmotoring.com" to your query to find it.

Basically, you take the intake manifold off, and you go in with solvent and your choice of implements of destruction (picks, scrapers, gun barrel cleaners, brushes of all kinds) and probably a shop-vac.
Delivered to the Port Hueneme VDC 10/4/11. Driven HOME by me 10/7/11.
Fuelly log
Old 12-19-2012, 12:12 PM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Gallery
someone here did a diy on walnut blasting.
good luck on doing it manually.
http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...to-my-mcs.html
Old 12-19-2012, 12:13 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines View Post
Search around here, there's been a DIY posted with pictures. You may have to go to Google and add "site:northamericanmotoring.com" to your query to find it.

Basically, you take the intake manifold off, and you go in with solvent and your choice of implements of destruction (picks, scrapers, gun barrel cleaners, brushes of all kinds) and probably a shop-vac.
I dont mean to be lazy but is this the DIY you were referring to

http://www.northamericanmotoring.com...right-way.html
Old 12-19-2012, 12:27 PM
Vendor

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboyshane View Post
This. Did you get a backache leaning over the engine? We charge $349 for the walnut service: I don't know where you are but the higher tech service facilities have the proper tools and charge less than dealerships.

Facebook | Website
Old 12-19-2012, 01:17 PM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helix13mini View Post
This. Did you get a backache leaning over the engine? We charge $349 for the walnut service: I don't know where you are but the higher tech service facilities have the proper tools and charge less than dealerships.
Am in OH, where are you guys located?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:32 PM
4th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Nice to know the smaller shops are picking up and able to do this kind of stuff.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:52 PM
Vendor

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullymooned View Post
Am in OH, where are you guys located?
Philly.

ROAD TRIP!!!!

Facebook | Website
Old 12-19-2012, 02:18 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Quote:

Philly.

ROAD TRIP!!!!
Yup!!! I just had my '07 S done at Helix! They did an awesome job. Well worth the trip from Baltimore MD.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:13 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Gallery
Quote:

Ha, my calf muscles actually get more stiff than anything. Chad @ Detroit Tuned is practically down the street from me but I don't think he's offering the service yet.

'09 MINI Cooper S Track Toy Lessons Learned

Studies show 100% of people die, so you might as well have some fun while you're at it.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Philly.

ROAD TRIP!!!!
I may be driving down there in the summer. Will try to make it to your shop if possible. Thank you.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:20 AM