R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 R56 super knock, Engine Fumbling while acceleration, loss of power.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:28 PM
sripavan
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R56 super knock, Engine Fumbling while acceleration, loss of power.

Dear all,

So I have a R56 no engine mods and 45000 mils. My Engine first started this super knock or fumble during hard acceleration at about 11000 mils. Since then it never disappeared. Dealer says he cant replicate. Has any one seem to find a solution to that yet.... Sorry if this question has already been repeated in earlier posts. I could not find an answer anywhere. IS this something I have to live with..

Thank You for any information...

Old 04-26-2012, 09:00 PM
MRS JIMINNI
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sripavan
Dear all,

So I have a R56 no engine mods and 45000 mils. My Engine first started this super knock or fumble during hard acceleration at about 11000 mils. Since then it never disappeared. Dealer says he cant replicate. Has any one seem to find a solution to that yet.... Sorry if this question has already been repeated in earlier posts. I could not find an answer anywhere. IS this something I have to live with..

Thank You for any information...
Super knock means you most likely have the dreaded timing chain problem. Most ALL R56's are going to have this sooner or later. Just brought my car to the dealer yesterday for the recall, and they noticed it knocking, they ended up replacing the timing chain. Can't believe the dealer is giving you the run around? Tell them you know about the timing chain problem and see what they say now. Get it done under warranty, as this is an expensive repair. Good luck

Old 04-27-2012, 05:35 AM
sripavan
1st Gear
Dear Mrs Jiminni,

Thank You for your suggestion. Can you also give the service number that they have performed if possible.
Just to clarify, were you having the same problem as I have. The sluggish acceleration or knock I am talking about seem to happen when the car sat over night or for long duration and then hit hard on acceleration. During around 2000-3000rpm far a fraction of second, multiple times in quick intervals, it acts like it lost power and I can hear the engine ping and puff of white smoke coming from the exhaust. It later acts fine. Once this occurred, I cannot replicate immediately even if I accelerate hard. It needs to sit idle to act this way again.

Regards
Pavan

Last edited by sripavan; 04-27-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:54 PM
calvinora
1st Gear
yea, all those knocks and loss of power its the timing chain kit so get it repaired asap otherwise it'll damage the engine sooner or later. 4k from the dealer if you are not under warranty

Old 04-27-2012, 01:46 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Superknock is typically carbon deposit related or HPFP related...and even if those two aren't the problem, the superknock issue is rather common on the R56, especially in hot climates. They love to ping and throw the superknock code...high compression+high inlet temps+boost+91 oct is the perfect recipe for knock. A good majority of R56's have stored superknock codes...and I'd bet many of the owners have no idea. It doesn't throw a CEL

Highly doubt its timing chain related...

Old 04-27-2012, 02:53 PM
MRS JIMINNI
4th Gear
When my HPFP went out there was no knock, it just lost power and threw the code. The HP injectors do have a tendency to make a knocking, diesel, sound anyway. Sounds like sripavan may have a couple things going on here? But when the timing chain goes, it sounds terrible!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:50 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
ThumperMCA is more correct. Super knock is more associated with HPFP or carbon deposit on the intake.
If it were the timing chain issue it'd sound like rocks bouncing around in the upper passenger side of the motor.
When mine chain started the noise, there was no lose of power or super knock assoicated with it.
Good news is if it's the HPFP, Mini has extended the warranty on those for 100K or 10 years.
Carbon deposit clean out is a little expensive but not as bad as the timing chain issue or you can attempt it
yourself.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:29 PM
sripavan
1st Gear
Thank You all for you replies.
I took it to flow mini of Raleigh. I drove around with one of their service personnel and was able to show what I mean. They looked and said its carbon deposit and that there is engine misfire code. I got the cooper back after having a carbon blast service. They use walnut shells to do it. So far its been a day and no problems. I will also keep adding cleaning additives regularly to try and keep it clean. Anyone else have the same problem ask your dealer to do the same.

The following users liked this post:
MocaJCW (03-29-2019)
Old 05-16-2012, 01:40 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
Thank You all for you replies.
I took it to flow mini of Raleigh. I drove around with one of their service personnel and was able to show what I mean. They looked and said its carbon deposit and that there is engine misfire code. I got the cooper back after having a carbon blast service. They use walnut shells to do it. So far its been a day and no problems. I will also keep adding cleaning additives regularly to try and keep it clean. Anyone else have the same problem ask your dealer to do the same.
Out of curiosity, what did they charge for the walnut blast?
Also, short drives that don't allow the engine to get up to operating
temps will cause the carbon deposits.
Do you have an oil catch can installed?

Old 05-16-2012, 06:23 PM
sripavan
1st Gear
@drsimmons:

My warranty expires in July 2012 so mine was covered. However, I saw a coupon from dealership that said total internal carbon cleaning including intake valves $341. I don't have a catch can installed. I haven't done any thing other than change my oil and replace wiper blades. Is it some thing hard. Can you give me an estimate on time and your experience with it resolving the problem(carbon deposit) if you have it installed.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:09 PM
drsimmons
6th Gear
@drsimmons:

My warranty expires in July 2012 so mine was covered. However, I saw a coupon from dealership that said total internal carbon cleaning including intake valves $341. I don't have a catch can installed. I haven't done any thing other than change my oil and replace wiper blades. Is it some thing hard. Can you give me an estimate on time and your experience with it resolving the problem(carbon deposit) if you have it installed.
I've got an 07 and the oil catch can was $170 and the boost tap is $60.
It catches crap that would generally be routed back to your intake and should reduce carbon buildup. I haven't had a problem yet. Knock on wood. Install is pretty simple. I'm no mechanic and I installed both in about an hour or so.
The 2011 and up don't need them from what I'm understanding but those earlier years they have great reviews.
My OCC and boost tap are BSH products (fyi).
I thought the walnut cleaning would be more but that's not too bad.

Old 05-16-2012, 08:47 PM
sripavan
1st Gear
@drsimmons
6th Gear:

Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the products and the installation process.

Regards
Pavan

Old 01-16-2021, 07:08 AM
Jeffrey Daitz
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Super Knock No Fun!

Originally Posted by drsimmons
ThumperMCA is more correct. Super knock is more associated with HPFP or carbon deposit on the intake.
If it were the timing chain issue it'd sound like rocks bouncing around in the upper passenger side of the motor.
When mine chain started the noise, there was no lose of power or super knock assoicated with it.
Good news is if it's the HPFP, Mini has extended the warranty on those for 100K or 10 years.
Carbon deposit clean out is a little expensive but not as bad as the timing chain issue or you can attempt it
yourself.
Is this a case where a walnut blast could be the fixer? Thanks!