R56 :: Hatch Talk (2007+) MINI Cooper and Cooper S (R56) hatchback discussion.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

R56 Installed the JCW shift light..PICTURES

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 05:43 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installed the JCW shift light..PICTURES

JCW Shift light is installed....
It was an easy mod since it is factory everything was done pretty well. It took me about an hour but, if I had to do it again I could do it in 30 minutes. You dont really need any tools for this.

1. Removing the factory cover is a little pain, I used a tiny screw driver to pop the clip points and presto...it was off.

2. The JCW shift light comes with a new cover, its as ease as running and securing the wiring then snapping the new part in place.

3. There are only (3) wires you tap into place. I have a PDF from BMW if you need a copy.

4. Test to make sure it lights up and then tuck everything in place.

There is an on/off button on the back of the light pod. The Gree light is a little bright at night. I used a tiny piece of Limo tint and I will see tonight if that tones the center green light down a bit.

You only see the other lights when you get over about 5K.....dont hold me to that but I will tell you the lights start coming on when you well into the power band and should be starting to think about shifting.

The light is more of a day to day novelty however, I can really see if you autocross it could be an effective tool....

I would like to see a gear shift indicator for the autocross days..anyone know if there is a company that makes one?

Name:  DSC_0039-1.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0041.jpg
Views: 870
Size:  42.5 KB

Name:  DSC_0035.jpg
Views: 1085
Size:  63.4 KB

Jimmy

Old 11-16-2008, 06:25 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So when do you shift? When everything is lit up?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SmokeM
So when do you shift? When everything is lit up?
If you look at picture #2..it is at full light up..it is a scale, so in that picture it shows your at red line. Ultimatly you want to shift before you hit red line for the best performace...or the power curve starts to go way down. I say if your autocrossing you would start to get ready to shift at the end of the yellow or rigt when you hot the red light. You will hit red line pretty quick when you see red and are at full pedel..

Old 11-16-2008, 07:10 AM
Winchm60
5th Gear
Looks good!

Old 11-16-2008, 07:39 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by FD3SDriver
Looks good!
Thanks....anyone know if there is a gear indicator out there? I autocross and think the shift light is more for looks because in the day they are clear but dont stand out as much as I would like. I really would like to see a gear indicator...when your autocrossing is is easy to load the wrong gear because your shifting so much and doing it very fast...

Old 11-16-2008, 07:42 AM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Thanks for the pics. I have been considering this myself and I wanted to know how much this unit would block out the lower information display. Still haven't made up my mind yet but your pics were just the information I was looking for.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:57 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
Originally Posted by russgriz
Thanks for the pics. I have been considering this myself and I wanted to know how much this unit would block out the lower information display. Still haven't made up my mind yet but your pics were just the information I was looking for.
It does block a little depending on how you have your wheel height set. If you are sitting low it will block the info screen a little..But there is a fix, you can bring up the tach a little with some washers. I find the top of the tach to be blocked the way I have everything set anyway.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:06 AM
russgriz
3rd Gear
Even better Red Bull. I had no idea it would be so easy to adjust the tach height. Now I have even more to think about. Thanks alot!