R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Help installing rally lights.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 09:32 AM
Brad Christensen
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help installing rally lights.

Hey everyone I was just given the factory Mini Rally light set up and the problem is that the kit is for the first gen and I have the R55. Will the light kit still hook up the same way and if not what changes will i have to make to the wiring?

Old 12-21-2014, 09:44 AM
milbournosphere
1st Gear
If the kit is for the 2002-206 R52, the wiring harness is different. I'm not sure if the lights use the same connectors so getting a proper harness to go with your lights may or may not solve the problem.

Old 12-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Brad Christensen
Neutral
I figured I would need a new harness. Do you know anyone who sells n them other than the dealership? Ive been looking around with no luck.

Old 12-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 281 Likes on 237 Posts
the wiring is different and the brackets are different. In the end what you have is a $30 set of Hella clone lights with none of the parts needed to hook them up . . nothing special in the light's wiring themselves ... a + and a - . . .

If you can buy the factory harness from the dealer, I wouldn't. The factory setup is overly complicated IMO. You CAN hook up the wires for $30 in parts .. probably less. {some wire, a relay, a toggle switch ... some crimp connectors and shrink tube if you want to be fancy}

Bigger issue is/are the mounting brackets. You can buy a set for around $100 (check OUTMOTORING) or build a set if you can or know someone who can work with and weld steel . . .

Where are you? I've installed a bunch of sets on GEN1 and others and there are a million ways to go, but if anyone has tried to use the GEN1 harness on a GEN2 I'd ask WHY and would you you do it again!

If you don't believe me I can send you to online copies of instructions for installing both packages including wiring schematics . . . or find them at MINIMANIA.COM

Last edited by Capt_bj; 12-21-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:51 PM
Brad Christensen
Neutral
I had been planning on taking that route. Im in maryland

Old 12-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
the wiring is different and the brackets are different. In the end what you have is a $30 set of Hella clone lights with none of the parts needed to hook them up . . nothing special in the light's wiring themselves ... a + and a - . . .

If you can buy the factory harness from the dealer, I wouldn't. The factory setup is overly complicated IMO. You CAN hook up the wires for $30 in parts .. probably less. {some wire, a relay, a toggle switch ... some crimp connectors and shrink tube if you want to be fancy}

Bigger issue is/are the mounting brackets. You can buy a set for around $100 (check OUTMOTORING) or build a set if you can or know someone who can work with and weld steel . . .

Where are you? I've installed a bunch of sets on GEN1 and others and there are a million ways to go, but if anyone has tried to use the GEN1 harness on a GEN2 I'd ask WHY and would you you do it again!

If you don't believe me I can send you to online copies of instructions for installing both packages including wiring schematics . . . or find them at MINIMANIA.COM
I used an OEM bracket & grill kit with pair of PIAA 520's driving lights. Since the OEM brackets are proprietary, I had the tabs cut off so I can have the bolts that are connected to the lights be secured. As far as the harness, there are a lot of kits out there for cheap (per Capt. BJ). I guess you can mix and match? Or whatever works for you, your budget and ease of installation.

Last edited by Joeygonz; 12-21-2014 at 06:27 PM. Reason: typo