R52 :: Cabrio Talk (2005-2008) Cooper and Cooper S convertible (R52) discussion.

R52 05 Cooper S Cabrio: Roof and rear side windows will not retract

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 06:52 PM
classpro
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 Cooper S Cabrio: Roof and rear side windows will not retract

I think I posted this message in the wrong place previously. Hopefully someone can help.

Have an 05 Mini S convertible that has been in storage for the winter (battery disconnected). the roof will retract to the first position (sunroof) but will not open any further. No sound or light after first position. Also, the rear side windows do not move when I push the switches up or down. Did I blow a fuse maybe? Any help appreciated.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:40 AM
patchelect
3rd Gear
The obvious question (I think) would be are the two lever/switches in the trunk in the proper position? Is the rear deck in position as well? There are micro switches that need to be tripped for the hydraulics to work.

Beyond that I know nothing. I did have a problem with my car right after getting it where the top went down but wouldn't come back up. Somehow the passenger side window motor being bad was the cause of that trouble, but I had it repaired by the seller so I don't know exactly what was involved. I'm a bit concerned that the rear windows won't go down either, unless there's a common fuse for all of this stuff. But then I would be concerned as to why the fuse blew in the first place.

Good luck!

Old 04-15-2014, 12:24 PM
classpro
2nd Gear
Thanks Patchelect. I don't think the levers were moved. I also don't get any error messages. Just silence when I try to open past the "sunroof" or try to put down the back side windows.

The "rear deck" you speak of is just the piece of carpeted cardboard that covers the battery? I don't see any switches there, and I think it's back in the same place it was before.

Unless there is a reset procedure or something, I still suspect a fuse for the back window and the top. The manual does not have a fuse diagram, and the inside of the fuse box has pictures that are not obvious. Probably just have to pull fuses and look at them (urgh).

Old 04-15-2014, 02:28 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
If the rear windows won't go down at all, I think that is the main problem. After the roof is in sunroof position, the next step in the opening sequence is that rear windows go partway down before the roof continues to open. If the windows won't go down, it will prevent the opening from proceeding. Check fuses F1 and F19.

Old 04-19-2014, 01:40 PM
classpro
2nd Gear
I think F1 and F19 are for the front windows, which work fine. I checked all of the fuses in the footwell with a multimeter, and they all work. I also checked all of the regular fuses in the engine compartment and they also work. I did not check the big square fuses in the engine compartment because I don't know how to check them.

However, this list (link below) suggests that there is a separate fuse, FL3, for the convertible top.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...nd-wiring.html'

There is no FL3 fuse under the hood - it starts with FL6 if I remember correctly. There must be another fuse box somewhere with the earlier FL numbers, but where? Is there a separate fuse box for the convertibles in the boot somewhere?

Again, all help appreciated. I'd hate to pay a ton of money to a mechanic to replace a simple fuse, but I don't know where to look.

Old 04-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Fly'n Brick
6th Gear
Received 367 Likes on 311 Posts
Originally Posted by classpro
The "rear deck" you speak of is just the piece of carpeted cardboard that covers the battery? I don't see any switches there, and I think it's back in the same place it was before.
He's referring to the shelf above the boot compartment. On the driver's side where the little foot rests there is a push button switch. It is there to protect the rear window glass incase there is something in the boot holding it up. If that switch is not depressed, the top won't go back.

Old 04-19-2014, 09:09 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
There is no FL3 fuse under the hood - it starts with FL6 if I remember correctly.
FL1-FL5 are on the underside of engine compartment fusebox. You need to unfasten the fusebox, tilt it up, and slide off the bottom cover.

According to the wiring diagrams, the front and rear windows are both connected to F1 and F19. So the fuses are not the reason that the rear windows won't go down, but I still feel that the rear windows are the fundamental issue. I believe that the roof is interlocked so that it won't begin to go down until the rear windows have gone down to provide clearance.

Old 04-20-2014, 03:22 PM
classpro
2nd Gear
rkw: If the fuses are ok, what would cause BOTH rear windows not to go down? Maybe the electrical to the switch not getting power? If the fuse for the roof was blown, would the rear windows still go down? If the parcel shelf switch wasn't down, would the rear windows also not go down?

Sounds difficult to get to the sunroof fuse to check.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:24 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
If the parcel shelf switch wasn't down, would the rear windows also not go down?
The rear windows still operate if the parcel shelf is up (I tried it on my R52).

I can only make educated guesses at this point. I'll look at the wiring diagram again and see if any ideas come up.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:45 AM
starthappytimes
Neutral
2005 mini cooper s convertible ... rear windows and top do not work.

does anyone know the fix for this problem. i am having the same problem.. the rear windows do not work at all by swith or after the top is in the sunroof ... the windows
do not go down and the sunroof top does not progress to convertible.

i agree with everyone above that is an electrical issue, i have changed all fuses in the
engine and under the dash. however this 3rd box is something i am not aware of. does
anyone know were it is located? would there be anything in this 3rd box that would cause the problem? the back sensor for the parcel shelf and the levers are all set and in position.

please if anyone has any sugestions or if the orginal poster could reply what their fix was i would greatly appreciate it !!!

thank you !!!

Old 02-17-2015, 11:46 AM
chyer
3rd Gear
I too, am having this problem. If anyone knows what initiated it, that would be great as well. It is a frustrating issue and I would like to be sure that it doesn't arbitrarily happen again. Thanks!

Old 02-17-2015, 01:06 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yea, you have a main relay or fuse gone, check that first. Then inspect that top sunroof position sensor.

When the sunroof works , goes all the way back and the rear window dont dip. Think its the sensor in the top. This lets the top and window know it time for the second phase , drop the rear and front windows a bit and then the top latches unlock. Right before this the top sunroof more back another inch or two. Then the top goes back.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tely-open.html

Thanks and good luck.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 11-03-2021, 09:53 PM
blue_cooper
Neutral
Originally Posted by starthappytimes
does anyone know the fix for this problem. i am having the same problem.. the rear windows do not work at all by swith or after the top is in the sunroof ... the windows
do not go down and the sunroof top does not progress to convertible.

i agree with everyone above that is an electrical issue, i have changed all fuses in the
engine and under the dash. however this 3rd box is something i am not aware of. does
anyone know were it is located? would there be anything in this 3rd box that would cause the problem? the back sensor for the parcel shelf and the levers are all set and in position.

please if anyone has any sugestions or if the orginal poster could reply what their fix was i would greatly appreciate it !!!

thank you !!!
did you ever figure it out? My rear windows are stuck -down- and the top only goes into sunroof mode. I think they might be off the track but if theres some easier fix I’d like to try that first. Thanks.

Old 10-09-2023, 04:07 AM
verytemp
Neutral
Originally Posted by blue_cooper
did you ever figure it out? My rear windows are stuck -down- and the top only goes into sunroof mode. I think they might be off the track but if theres some easier fix I’d like to try that first. Thanks.
Did any of you find a solution to this or are we all still driving with our rear windows down and sunroofs?

Old 10-24-2023, 09:58 PM
Avantarch
1st Gear
I have experienced the same with my '05, there is some connection with the passenger side window regulator. I found a video on YouTube that essentially showed how to fist pound the door, below the door lever, to reset the regulator...not very scientific or technical...but it worked, even recently when I was stuck with the top down and it would not raise...Good Luck!