Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Clutch suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2016, 11:19 PM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Clutch suggestions

As the title says..
Wondering what clutch/flywheel setup people are running...
Was at the races tonight and burned through 4 gears on the stock clutch from a dig.
Surprisingly, it's still grabbing. Can't imagine it will for much longer though.
Some background:
Full JCW Kit
17% pulley.
Headers.
CAI.
Bridgestone Potenza semi slick
All poly mounts
"Cammed" (says previous owner)
"Tuned" (says previous owner)
There is a strange male end USB port coming from underneath the dash.
But that is besides the point.

Any feedback is appreciated!!

Old 05-07-2016, 12:01 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Most doing clutch replacements seem to favor the Valeo kit. It lightens up the peddle some and gets rid of the chewbaca chatter of the OEM dual mass flywheel. That's what I'll be putting in mine when the time comes. You can search on the forums and find a bunch of info on it if you don't get to much feedback. If you want a stage clutch or something of the sort I would talk to some of the track guys for their input.

Amazon.com: Valeo 52151203 Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit: Automotive Amazon.com: Valeo 52151203 Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit: Automotive

Old 05-07-2016, 04:27 PM
navybsn
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
+1. Much better than the OEM unit.

Old 05-07-2016, 06:03 PM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ol' Blue
Most doing clutch replacements seem to favor the Valeo kit. It lightens up the peddle some and gets rid of the chewbaca chatter of the OEM dual mass flywheel. That's what I'll be putting in mine when the time comes. You can search on the forums and find a bunch of info on it if you don't get to much feedback. If you want a stage clutch or something of the sort I would talk to some of the track guys for their input.

Amazon.com: Valeo 52151203 Solid Flywheel Conversion Kit: Automotive
I considered the valeo clutch, but I'm concerned on what kind of power it can handle.......

Old 05-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Took some looking but I knew he had mentioned it before. If you've never seen Mod Minis YouTube channel I suggest checking it out as it's very informative. Here's a link to his video on the stock clutch versus the Valeo kit. His mini makes between 240-250 and around 200 lb ft of torque so unless you're making more than that I think it would be fine.

Old 05-08-2016, 04:44 AM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Ol' Blue
Took some looking but I knew he had mentioned it before. If you've never seen Mod Minis YouTube channel I suggest checking it out as it's very informative. Here's a link to his video on the stock clutch versus the Valeo kit. His mini makes between 240-250 and around 200 lb ft of torque so unless you're making more than that I think it would be fine.

MINI Cooper S Valeo vs Stock Clutch HW Compare 2002-2006 - YouTube
Wow! Thanks that video pretty much addresses all my concerns lol thank you!

Old 05-08-2016, 10:23 AM
Ol' Blue
3rd Gear
Not a problem, glad it was helpful.

Old 05-09-2016, 07:51 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Also, while you're in there doing the clutch, we also recommend replacing a few additional components while you have access to them. We go over what our kits have and the conversion kit HERE. If you plan to DIY this clutch job we have a great article that go over all these components replacements with detailed images that you can check out as well on our site under the tech info tab at the top. Good luck!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 05-09-2016, 10:49 AM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
Also, while you're in there doing the clutch, we also recommend replacing a few additional components while you have access to them. We go over what our kits have and the conversion kit HERE. If you plan to DIY this clutch job we have a great article that go over all these components replacements with detailed images that you can check out as well on our site under the tech info tab at the top. Good luck!

Is than an OEM unit you're selling??

Old 05-09-2016, 11:36 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Originally Posted by JCWCabrio
Is than an OEM unit you're selling??
Assuming you have an R52 S? We sell Genuine, OEM, and aftermarket kits HERE. The clutch super kit for your R52 HERE utilizes the OEM supplier Luk clutch kit. If you decide you want to do the Valeo conversion kit the nice thing about our kits is that you can add them to the cart and once you view it in the cart you can delete single items out of the kit that you do not want. So if you're wanting the conversion kit you can add the super kit above to your cart and then go to it and delete 21-20-7-551-384-M37. Then you can add the conversion kit HERE to the cart to replace the clutch you deleted out. You'll also want to delete out the 8 fly wheel bolts 11-22-7-560-579-M26 and the 6 pressure plate bolts 21-20-7-520-449-M26 as those are included with the flywheel conversion kit. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 05-10-2016, 04:53 PM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
How about the exedy smf pro kit?
EBay exedy clutch kit

Old 05-10-2016, 05:12 PM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That's a pretty low price for a complete kit. Wonder if it's any good.

You should give Way motor works a call if you can't figure out what to get. He has a bunch of different clutches to chose from, and can also give you advice on what would be best for your car.

Old 05-10-2016, 05:14 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
I have a brand new Luk dual mass flywheel, clutch and throw out bearing I'll sell for $300+shipping. Same manufacture as stock.....

Old 05-10-2016, 05:28 PM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Shawnnn
That's a pretty low price for a complete kit. Wonder if it's any good.

You should give Way motor works a call if you can't figure out what to get. He has a bunch of different clutches to chose from, and can also give you advice on what would be best for your car.
I might just buy it for ***** and giggles. Throw it in and see how it goes. I'm turned away from the idea of the valeo because there's less friction material. That exedy clutch looks nice.

Old 05-11-2016, 05:17 AM
Saltysalt
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I have the valeo, it worked well, it slipped on me a few months ago, but hasn't slipped again, ive had it for 15 months, its the most recommended clutch other than the OS giken. I still support the valeo, but for drag racing I don't think it will last either, the OS giken would prolly be the best bet if your going to abuse a clutch. buts its expensive

Old 05-11-2016, 05:24 AM
Shawnnn
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had my Valeo for almost a year now and so far have had no problems. It's my daily driver but I really don't beat on it so I can't say it will hold up racing with it. There are people on this forum who race so hopefully one of them will see it and chime in. Maybe should have put racing in your title.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:38 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
How about the exedy smf pro kit?
EBay exedy clutch kit
Exedy is an OEM replacement clutch company for Subaru's. I was all about them until I ran one of their performance clutches. Here is my quarrel with Exedy... Granted mine is for racing and I did DD with it, I will never buy an Exedy clutch again. The chatter and longevity were not what I anticipated. It does have a very stiff pedal, but that doesn't really bother me too much. It slips now badly after about 3 years. Again, the one I run is way more intense than that one listed, but it just rubbed me wrong and I am now due for a new clutch. Let's just say I am looking into different brands.

The clutch super kit I listed above has the Luk clutch and if you're looking for a good direct OEM replacement. Otherwise, do some research, there are many individuals that report they're very satisfied with their Valeo conversion. Some clutches just don't work for some people so I highly recommend doing your research and find something you will be satisfied with.

Old 05-11-2016, 09:15 AM
HaltCatchFire
3rd Gear
Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
I might just buy it for ***** and giggles. Throw it in and see how it goes. I'm turned away from the idea of the valeo because there's less friction material. That exedy clutch looks nice.
There's more to the picture than just less material - it's also a wider clutch plate. Assuming the friction materials and springs are the same, running the numbers gives the Valeo ~15% less area but ~10% more torque. So I think you're essentially in the margin of error for total lifetime, the exact math of which is beyond me.

Old 05-11-2016, 10:10 PM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
I've heard great things about South bend clutches. And am starting to lean towards the stage 2 daily kit
ECS South Bend kit

Anyone running this setup? The price is certainly right.

Thanks for all the input also guys. Just trying to get as much info on kits while I can. I don't want to have to do this job twice....errr I mean at least not until I break another clutch

Old 05-13-2016, 01:12 PM
WingZombie
2nd Gear
Been running the Valeo for the past year. It's seen 5 track days with no issues. I do not treat it nicely and have 0 complaints.

Old 05-14-2016, 07:49 AM
O.C.abrio
2nd Gear
That Southbank clutch kit has similar specs to the ACT clutch/flywheel I installed. I just haven't seen much feedback on them. My ACT clutch experience is posted on here if you're interested.

If drag racing, you might consider a race clutch, but expect wear/replacement and driveability issues for daily use.

Old 05-14-2016, 10:35 AM
RodSim7
Neutral
I bought the Sachs clutch kit from eBay, it's been about a year and it's still strong especially after beating on it pretty hard racing !!

Old 05-14-2016, 08:54 PM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
Thank you guys for all the help again!!
I do plan on ordering the South Bend kit. It will be a couple months though. I'm in the process of moving homes right now and the last thing I want to do is trailer a car I decided to take apart 1 month before my move out date lol. The job is doable in probably a few days but I'll be wrenching in-between work days.

I'll post my review on the south bend clutch here when I get all settled in to the new place (which has a much bigger garage!!)

Old 07-21-2016, 03:50 PM
JCWCabrio
2nd Gear
Update!

Clutch finally went. Gave me some good time though. And time is money right??

Went ahead and bought the OS Giken kit. Grand touring. Not the soft pedal one either. ECStuning had the best price. Got bushings, guide tube, slave cylinder, MTL redline, rear main seal all for less than anyone else wanted for just the kit! Booyah! Will give review after install.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:42 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Update!

Clutch finally went. Gave me some good time though. And time is money right??

Went ahead and bought the OS Giken kit. Grand touring. Not the soft pedal one either. ECStuning had the best price. Got bushings, guide tube, slave cylinder, MTL redline, rear main seal all for less than anyone else wanted for just the kit! Booyah! Will give review after install.

Thanks for the order !! Cant wait to see the review.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172

Quick Reply: Drivetrain Clutch suggestions