R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 CV shaft issues after lowering your car? Common problem?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 10:57 AM
IQRaceworks
6th Gear
Received 113 Likes on 94 Posts
CV shaft issues after lowering your car? Common problem?

I've been toying around with the idea of adding some lowering springs to my car....something mild, maybe just a 1" drop or so. I've seen some posts where some people have had issues with CV shafts making noise after they lowered their cars.....i'm guessing it's because the CV shafts are running a a different angle now.

How common of a problem is that? Should be be able to install some 1" lower springs and adjustable links in the rear and not have any issues after it's all been properly aligned?

Old 10-08-2015, 10:18 PM
MiniLife
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should have no problems with lowering springs. Nonetheless, its still slightly changing the angle of the CV shafts so something to keep in mind.

Couple years ago my R53 was slammed to the ground with Megan Coilovers and had to replace 3 CV Shafts total within a single year. At that point I wanted my performance and reliability back, so now the car is lowered just under an inch, no problems since!

Last edited by MiniLife; 10-08-2015 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:19 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniLife
You should have no problems with lowering springs. Nonetheless, its still slightly changing the angle of the CV shafts so something to keep in mind.

Couple years ago my R53 was slammed to the ground with Megan Coilovers and had to replace 3 CV Shafts total within a single year. At that point I wanted my performance and reliability back, so now the car is lowered just under an inch, no problems since!
That was only an issue if using cheap axles
I'm slammed on air riding fully tucked daily and have no issues with OEM ones
You have to pay for the good stuff...to get good results

Old 10-09-2015, 10:04 AM
MiniLife
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Spencer Roper
That was only an issue if using cheap axles
I'm slammed on air riding fully tucked daily and have no issues with OEM ones
You have to pay for the good stuff...to get good results
Lol where did I say that I was using non oem cv shafts? Every replacement was with an oem replacement. Just sharing my experience, not everyone will have the same results

Old 10-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
It just sounded exactly like what I heard when everyone who was buying cheap axels kept saying theirs only lasted 100 or less miles. You are literally the first person who I've read stating OEM axels failed in such a short amount of time
It seems out of the ordinary that OEM axels would do that which is why I made that assumption.
My apologies I guess in some very rare instances OEM won't last either. But 1" is nothing....the JCW sport kit lowers it 3/4" and maintains OEM tolerances

Old 10-09-2015, 12:29 PM
MiniLife
1st Gear
To shed some more light on my experience, 2 of the 3 oem axles that failed after "slamming" my car were the original axles which had 70-80k on them. Both replaced with brand new oem axles. The third one I broke within that same year was one of those oem replacments. Therefore only 1 failed prematurely.
Should have been more clear in my last post

Old 10-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MiniLife
To shed some more light on my experience, 2 of the 3 oem axles that failed after "slamming" my car were the original axles which had 70-80k on them. Both replaced with brand new oem axles. The third one I broke within that same year was one of those oem replacments. Therefore only 1 failed prematurely.
Should have been more clear in my last post
Now that makes sense! Haha. Any slamming is a pay to play situation tho.....it's a matter if time when you start going past 2" on the Mini.I've noticed on Air that my upfront costs are more but I'm not blowing through as many parts as I did using coils. I think the heavy spring rates coupled with aggressive valving on most top of the line coils will make components wear faster. Air struts get softer when you lower them so the jarring forces aren't as great....but the angle is most definitely askew.

Old 10-10-2015, 06:53 AM
DanSeals
3rd Gear
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...not-for-racing

100k+ miles on mine.

When I was lowered the OEM axles would vibrate.
Replaced them with these and the vibration went away.

Was only lowered about 20k miles though before I went back to stock height.
Colorado roads were just too much for a lowered Mini.

I also have over 2 dozen track days on the driveshaftshop axles.

Their big dogs.
http://www.driveshaftshop.com/import...-level-2-axles

Just a suggestion .......

Last edited by DanSeals; 10-10-2015 at 06:55 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 10-10-2015, 07:22 AM
Spencer Roper
3rd Gear
^ this

Soooooo right

Old 10-10-2015, 07:54 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Yeah, we've installed a few from the Driveshaft Shop to good results. To echo what has been said above, mild lowering (around 1") does not seem to increase the failures of axles. Really low, and they can break.

Old 10-11-2015, 12:47 PM
MiniLife
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Spencer Roper
Now that makes sense! Haha. Any slamming is a pay to play situation tho.....it's a matter if time when you start going past 2" on the Mini.I've noticed on Air that my upfront costs are more but I'm not blowing through as many parts as I did using coils. I think the heavy spring rates coupled with aggressive valving on most top of the line coils will make components wear faster. Air struts get softer when you lower them so the jarring forces aren't as great....but the angle is most definitely askew.
I agree, anything past 2" mark is where the vibration and eventually failure seem to occur.
The Megan coilovers I had were extremely stiff, so that wouldn't surprise me!

DanSeals- Thank you for sharing! I will be hitting the track soon. Ill give these a shot if i ever have problems in the future