Stock Problems/Issues Discussions related to warranty related issues and repairs, or other problems with the OEM parts and software for MINI Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs.

Hatch handle coming off

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 06:01 AM
clicker666
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hatch handle coming off

Things never end with this car. Should've bought the Civic lol.

The hatch handle is coming off on the left side - when I called the dealer they said it might be covered, provided the previous owner had it regularly serviced. Is this just a pile of crap or what?

I've already got a good 2 grand of repairs to get done to this thing.

It's a 2004 R50.

Last edited by clicker666; 01-30-2015 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Left out year and model.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:24 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by clicker666
Should've bought the Civic lol.
Yes but then you'd be driving a Civic.

It doesn't say what year your car is, but don't forget that it has to be 10 years old or more if you're posting in the R50/53 forum. If you compare the cost of ownership to the cost of brand new car payments, is it still a terrible deal?

Old 01-30-2015, 06:39 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by clicker666
Things never end with this car. Should've bought the Civic lol.

The hatch handle is coming off on the left side - when I called the dealer they said it might be covered, provided the previous owner had it regularly serviced. Is this just a pile of crap or what?

I've already got a good 2 grand of repairs to get done to this thing.
Why would the dealer cover a 10+ year old car??
Rust maybe? Owning a older car of ANY make or model can be $$$...all comes down to how good you were at the prebuy.....
and one tip...
Going to a dealer is a sure way to spend 2X the amount on repairs....
Dealers do have some specialized knowledge, and have their uses...
but high overhead, large screen TV, leather couch, and free coffee has a price....most charge 2X the labor rate of the local MINI shops, and charge about 20% more for the same parts...
so your $2000 in repairs should have been UNDER $1000 in many cases....maybe even $800....heck I have done minor repairs on my car for about $100 that a dealer would charge me $600+!! Just took me an hour, a book and a few tools.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:57 AM
clicker666
1st Gear
The reason I mention the warranty is because it was extended to 12 years. My car is an '04 and falls under that limit. I do know that repairs are expected, I'm just grumbling that I will have spent more on repairs in a little over a year of owning the car than the price of the car.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:04 AM
clicker666
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
Why would the dealer cover a 10+ year old car??
Rust maybe? Owning a older car of ANY make or model can be $$$...all comes down to how good you were at the prebuy.....
and one tip...
Going to a dealer is a sure way to spend 2X the amount on repairs....
Dealers do have some specialized knowledge, and have their uses...
but high overhead, large screen TV, leather couch, and free coffee has a price....most charge 2X the labor rate of the local MINI shops, and charge about 20% more for the same parts...
so your $2000 in repairs should have been UNDER $1000 in many cases....maybe even $800....heck I have done minor repairs on my car for about $100 that a dealer would charge me $600+!! Just took me an hour, a book and a few tools.
Actually, I've never had the car to the dealer for repairs. I do my own work as long as it does not require engine surgery or air tools.

Old 01-30-2015, 07:10 AM
Brutal-Force
2nd Gear
I am new to Mini, so take this with a grain of salt. I have read all of the horrible reviews, but mostly they revolve around the engine and turbo. Having been an Audi tech from 2000-2005, I can say that all of their 1.8 Turbos as well as VW 1.8 Turbos at the time all suffered the same problems. The Oil intervals were extended and many people didn't keep up with "normal" oil changes or checking their oil at "normal" intervals.

That being said what you are referring to is more of a trim type repair. You didn't specify which vehicle, so its really had to comment on this rant. That being said, the parts for this vehicle are, if you buy them from the dealer, quite expensive as far as parts go; however, this is the same for almost all European automakers. Two grand is really not that much if what your saying is that you have had a handful of repairs done at a Mini Dealership with Factory parts.

When I worked for Audi the expression was, never own an Audi out of warranty. Not so much because it breaks, but because when it does break it is much more expensive to repair than a Chevy or Ford.

I look at Mini the same way. Its easy for me to say I will just fix my own car, but I will also service my own car once it gets out of warranty (and between intervals). I won't pay $2200 dollars for a brake job, when I can buy pads and rotors from ECS for under $300. For that matter I can buy a JCW upgrade for less that $2200.

I wouldn't say its a pile of crap, but I would say that its an expensive car to own and maintain.

Old 01-30-2015, 01:57 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
If you need parts and can follow DIY's you can get them here:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ght-cover.html

Follow the Gen 1 Grip handles. 4 screw hold it to the trunk.

Also for many other MINI Parts check us out.

www.ecstuning.com

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-31-2015, 03:34 PM
jimmy_racoon
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
12 year rust warranty pays off

I have a 2005 R50 with 133,500 miles. I just picked her up yesterday from the dealer after rust above the boot handle was repaired for no cost to me. They replaced the boot handle, emblem, license plate bracket, name badge, and repainted the entire hatch lid!

This did take some patience on my part waiting for the MINI rep to visit the dealership, arranging for an inspection by him, then waiting for the dealer to get 2 estimates from body shops. I was even given a loaner (2015 MCS with under 1,000k) for the week they kept my MINI for repair.

Not bad for something I have driven every day for the last 10 years!

Go MINI!

before-rust
by jimmy_racoon, on Flickr

rust free
by jimmy_racoon, on Flickr

Last edited by jimmy_racoon; 02-02-2015 at 03:13 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:45 AM
clicker666
1st Gear
Very cool. I was just considering gluing mine back on, but maybe I'll take it in.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:22 AM
clicker666
1st Gear
Turns out the "regular maintenance" visits weren't done at the local dealer - so I have no warranty. Oh well, guess I'll epoxy it on for now to get me through the winter and get it to a body shop once it's warm enough to take my motorcycle out of storage.

Old 02-04-2015, 05:49 AM
Brutal-Force
2nd Gear
So let me get this straight, you just bashed this car because a dealer wouldn't cover a part... even though your maintenance wasn't done at the dealer? So the dealer is just supposed to cover everything on this vehicle for the rest of the time, you the second owner, own it? SMH

Old 02-04-2015, 05:56 AM
clicker666
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Brutal-Force
So let me get this straight, you just bashed this car because a dealer wouldn't cover a part... even though your maintenance wasn't done at the dealer? So the dealer is just supposed to cover everything on this vehicle for the rest of the time, you the second owner, own it? SMH
I didn't bash the car. I didn't bash the dealer. The car was not owned by me, do I didn't take it to the dealer. There is a 12 year extended warranty on this part for a reason - it was a bad design and Mini covers it because it's a bad design.

When I asked if it was a pile of crap I was referring to the warranty policy - as in, is this accurate or a pile of crap. This is more than trim. There's no interior release, so once it falls off you can't get into the back of your car.

There's also no need to be an ******* in my thread. If you don't have anything positive to contribute you can just **** off.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:33 AM
Brutal-Force
2nd Gear
Well, neither a 10 year old part that breaks or the warranty policy that was good (until it wasn't serviced in the dealer). I mean a 10 year warranty is a lot to ask on ANYTHING. Even Snap-on who warranties there stuff for life might give you grief if the tool you are using just wears out. If you knew the handle was broken, then it didn't "fall off". Your logic is profound. I wasn't being an a** in your thread, I was just pointing out that your expectations are a little high. FOR ANY MANUFACTURER.

P.S. "You said you were done with this car." And yes... you should have bought a Civic, since you obviously can't keep up with a Mini.

I'm done here. *drops the microphone*

Old 02-04-2015, 07:32 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts