R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 2005 Mini Cooper S Questions ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 12:32 AM
Arkie
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Mini Cooper S Questions ....

Greetings Group,

Need quick feedback please!

After looking around to buy a small Car, I am zeroing in on an 05' S I found on TuCarro.com.co. See Link below. This S has 36,000 Km or about 28,000 miles. Auto and good shape. Asking $42M CP or $18,000 USD. I want to buy this Mini, but I'm reading about serious mechanical problems this year S, with the Auto trans. Please advise. Thanks in advance.

http://articulo.tucarro.com.co/MCO-4...i-cooper-s-_JM

Last edited by Arkie; 08-12-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old 08-12-2014, 04:20 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
For a 2005 with Automatic I would think the $18,000.00 might be a little high. But it might be normal for your location. The transmission should be the 6 speed Auto with the S, and for the most part a good unit, but it is BMW's idea that it is a sealed unit and never needs an oil/filter change (I have always questioned this).

The car should be pretty good if the maintenance had been done, and if you have a Mechanic you trust, you might want to drive it by and have him do a complete inspection, paying attention to trouble spots (lower link bushings, engine mounts, serpentine belt, timing chain tensioner, oil condition, check for codes in memory)

Best to go into the purchase with as much information as possible. But if you are like me... if I want something, I just buy it.

Happy Motoring!

Old 08-12-2014, 04:42 AM
ASW
1st Gear
I just bought 2006 MCS manual early this year after reading a tons of articles about mini. There are a few mechanical issues on the mini gen 1, but if the previous owner maintenance it well, you don't need to worry.
Here are some what you need to look at in the engine.
- Leaking. Common issue on the crank shaft seal and crank sensor seal. Not to expensive parts, easy to replace.
- Super charger. Typical supercharger can go up to 100,000 miles, if you maintain it well.
- Timing chain. Look for clicking noise when the engine is running.
- Coolant reservoir leak. Look if there is any sign of leak.
That's what I recall that is important.
From what I had learned, manual transmission is less of the problem and it's more fun to drive in my opinion. Good luck for your hunting!!

Old 08-12-2014, 05:21 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Much of the relilibility comes down to how the car was treated....
Many cars on forums are auto-x (raced in parking lots around cones at low-moderate speed/tracked or just plain driven hard by folks who don't car....so stuff does fail....
Driven well, these cars a fun and reliable, with enough handling and performance to make you grin....
So get it looked at...if the car was matained and driven well, and price is fine for your area, go for it....if it was abused, run!!

Old 08-12-2014, 08:06 PM
Arkie
1st Gear
I'm meeting the Mini owner at the Dealer tomorrow. Today, I spoke to the local Mini Dealer sales manager and he advised insurance is triple what a Mazda 2 or Kia Picanta is. He also advised, since it's on old model 2005, if I need a part or engine replaced, could be 1-2 months in the shop. Back in 05, Mini Coopers were special ordered here. So high insurance and parts no so readily available plus if I break down, I need to be towed to a major city, as small towns don't have BMW mechanics.

I am also looking at the Mazda 2, Kia Picanto and Chevy Spark, but all these Cars feel cheap and the seats suck. I also seriously considered a 2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser with it's off road abilities, but bad gas mileage and high price tag turned me off.

Comments?

Last edited by Arkie; 08-12-2014 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 02:07 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Sounds like you are cross shopping the mini vs a group of cars that are VERY different...
A Mazda 2 is VERY different on so many levels.....as are the others you list. Not going to say better, etc, but different.....better for some folks (if comparing to meat ground chuck is OK for some, but steak for others), but I would hazard to say, most folks considering a mini cooper s would not have your list...sounds like you are doing a strict prices vs length? Or size comparison?
Buying a 10 (nearly so) year old car without dealer or parts support in a place where you do not have a person to go to for repairs or the skill to fix a car seems foolhardy at best.....
The fact the dealer hinted you car would be broken for 2 months if you need a motor makes me wonder...sounds like they with suspect an issue or want to keep the car around for the looks it gets....engine replacements are rare, but not unheard of in modern cars....and a dealer selling a car, hinting it needs replacing..... RUN!!
And one note...the mini REQUIRES HI-OCTANE FUEL....using less may require a new head or a new motor...the other cars you list...spark, etc are all in a different class...not really comparable....

Old 08-13-2014, 05:40 AM
Arkie
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
The fact the dealer hinted you car would be broken for 2 months if you need a motor makes me wonder, sounds like they suspect an issue or want to keep the car around for the looks it gets .... engine replacements are rare but not unheard of in modern cars ... and a dealer selling a car, hinting it needs replacing..... RUN!
No. The seller is private person. I consulted the local Dealer for info on the Car and the Dealer advised parts might take longer to get and repair down time extended since it's a 10 year old Car. Mazda, Kia and Chevy are all popular brands here. The Mini is considered a luxury Car.

Old 08-13-2014, 03:23 PM
Arkie
1st Gear
I saw the Car again today. Made an appointment with Dealer check it out for $200 USD.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Arkie
1st Gear
Anyone ??

Old 08-15-2014, 06:19 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I've an 02 R53 & a 2014 Mazda3 skyactiv. Both very different cars. The R53 I maintain myself. Mechanically, it's pretty simple. The issues are all known w/ majority of them solved by improved or upgraded parts. If you're mechanically inclined, don't fear the issues. Just stash away a bit for maintenance. Beware, the drive & the mods are extremely addicting. My R53, hands down a keeper.
The 'M3' is a great new appliance car & daily driver. It has bimmer-like driving dynamics, good economy, amazing skyactiv engineering(none of those CVTs) & I love the Kodo no-frills styling in & out. Enjoyable & comfortable, yes, but somehow it hasn't taken me like the r53 has. However, the Mazda3 has a lot of good reason over an R or F56.

If you're tempted w/ the current M2, don't. Wait for the 2016 skyactiv model. It has a bit of MINI behind & a lot of the 3 in it.
Name:  2016-mazda2-640x392_zpse7186dda.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  73.5 KB
Name:  2016-Mazda-2-Skyactiv-rear_zps3804de3d.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  32.8 KB

Old 08-15-2014, 06:23 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Also, almost all R53 parts are available thru supporting vendors over here: WMW, Pelican, ECS....

Old 08-15-2014, 07:53 AM
pepper05
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minsanity
Also, almost all R53 parts are available thru supporting vendors over here: WMW, Pelican, ECS....
Exactly. Also, Arkie, that insurance thing being 3x the cost of a new car sounds suspect. We have a '14 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI, and I just bought an '06 Mini Cooper S (as the forum regulars know, because I'm super excited about it and kept posting ).

Insurance for Jetta: $1,400/year in Queens, NYC (everything is always more expensive in NYC)

Insurance for Mini: $800/year, same coverage. (and it knocked the Jetta down $200 for a multi-car discount).

I was surprised to find out I could get collision and comprehensive on an eight-year-old Mini and be able to afford it. My wife and I are no longer 23, so that factors in too. But still. (I'm 40, and no one gets to find out my wife's age.)

Something I've come to realize over the years is that everyone has opinions, including the Mini dealer you went to. Mini dealers by and large have been pretty good, at least in the tri-state NY/NJ/CT and MA areas in my experience, but some of what that guy said doesn't sound right.

And also, you really are shopping wildly different cars. If it's purely a money and size question, finding and maintaining a Mini R53 is a wonderful, fun project, and it *can* be reliable if maintained well, but it will be a lot easier to walk into a dealership and buy a brand new Mazda 2 or Mazda 3. Neither car will be nearly as fast or distinctive, but both are quite nice. Still, it's not even apples vs. oranges; it's like apples vs. guitars or something.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:09 PM
Arkie
1st Gear
Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 AM
Arkie
1st Gear
My first post at top of page, that 2005 MCS linked is a good deal here. But I'm worried it's a 2004 model and possible problems? It's only 30,000 miles for an 05 model ... What if I need an new engine?

Please advise.

Thanks

Old 08-21-2014, 03:17 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Arkie
My first post at top of page, that 2005 MCS linked is a good deal here. But I'm worried it's a 2004 model and possible problems? It's only 30,000 miles for an 05 model ... What if I need an new engine? Please advise. Thanks
What if you need a new transmission? What if you need a new supercharger? What if the sunroof motor gets stuck and catches fire? I'm being sarcastic but you are asking people to give opinions on cars they have never seen and couldn't evaluate. For everyone who is giving him advice on price and insurance he lives in the country of Colombia it looks like. Unless you too are in that country you can't answer. Arkie If you are having these doubts about, these very rare hypothetical situations, the cost to maintain or even ability to get parts - don't do it.

Old 08-21-2014, 04:24 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Bottom line... make the distinction between what you want and what you need.

When I buy cars I consider the the factors just as you are doing, cost of car, cost of insurance, cost of annual maintenance, cost of additions, MODs, and unscheduled repairs.

In some cases I have purchased what is called a "basket case" because the car is mostly in baskets and boxes and is a complete rebuild. (My 1975 MG Midget for example, I have more money and time invested in that car than it is worth, but it was a labor of love and it is about 99.9% about the condition is was when it came off the showroom floor). not a lot of people would do that, but I enjoy doing the work and it truly is something I can say "I did this".

If all you NEED is dependable inexpensive transportation I would buy something NEW, for the most part the cost of owning a new car is less expensive than an older used car (Less maintenance, insurance costs are more equal to the value of the car, and you are less likely to be nickled and dimed by unforeseen issues).

But if you WANT a street legal go-cart, that puts a big grin on your face every time you get in it ... from cross country drives to quick hop to the store and the extra cost of maintaining an older car doesn't bother you...

But you also need to consider availability of parts, can you survive a month as you wait for that ceramic coated neoprene knoodler valve to come in from Ubershrekistan? (This is only an example no part or country by these names exists).

Last bit of PERSONAL opinion... there are only a few cars I would consider buying with an automatic, and they all have double clutch autos with paddle shifters, and they are priced a bit higher then even a pair of the most expensive MINIs... higher then a pair of pair (4) of the most expensive MINIs... anyway... yea, I would get the manual transmission.

So... as you try to decide MINI on what car MINI to get MINI I'm sure MINI you will MINI take a lot MINI of considerations MINI in to account MINI and buy MINI the one that MINI is best suited MINI for you MINI financially MINI overall. MINI.

Best of luck deciding. MINI

Motor on!

Old 08-23-2014, 04:58 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
As an owner of a 2005 MINI Cooper S, bought new and still driving it, I can say the 05 year is quite reliable. I haven't had anything in the issues mentioned in the forums. Mostly wear and tear. I have about 120,000 miles on my car. Lightly modified (reduction pulley, CAI and thicker rear sway bar being the main parts).

Meticulously maintained, dealer maintained. Dealer is also mod friendly.

Things replaced that were covered under warranty: oil pan gasket, power steering fan, fuel pump.

Things that I had to pay for myself: upper engine mount, clutch, belt tensioner, 6 windshields (I drove a lot behind construction trucks on highways for work), battery, brakes, oil changes and tuneups.

Things that broke but I fixed myself (Fonzie method)...drivers side power window.

As you can see, not a lot for 10 years. Mostly routine maintenance and repair of wear and tear mechanical parts.

I have not heard much of anything bad about the 6-speed auto transmission on the Cooper S. However, my neighbor has the CVT in her Cooper and she did have the rubber banding issue with that transmission. MINI fixed it with a software reflash under warranty. The only issue she has had that bothers me is they broke the front seats a few times. I think her kids are too rough with the ratchet. But I have seen other MINIs where they broke the cable in the seat back ratchet.

I think 2005 was a pretty good year. Drive it well and it treats you well also. Keep everything clean and it should last you a long time.

Having said that, you are looking at a 10 year old car. So reliability issues is a crapshoot going forward.

...and one more thought. With all due respect to Mazda cars. I do like them very much. I don't see many old ones with much over 100,000 miles on them still on the road. I do, however, see many MINIs. How much you end up paying will be up to you.

Good luck and hope to be waving at another fellow MINI driver in the near future.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:20 PM
Arkie
1st Gear
Thanks Guys.
I am still undecided ...
Looking at the FJ Cruiser also, because the roads here are not that great here in Colombia, and having 4x4 capabilities gives me some extra confidence.

Here's the FJC: http://articulo.tucarro.com.co/MCO-4...fj-cruiser-_JM

The 2005 MCS is still for sale: http://articulo.tucarro.com.co/MCO-4...i-cooper-s-_JM

Please commenting ....

Ps. The local MINI Dealer service manager advised the 05 Mini will give me problems.

Thanks!

Old 08-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Arkie
1st Gear
Question: Does the 2005 MCS have the CVT Trans? Beacuse MINI experts advise this trans is huge deal to replace and being in a 3rd world country, my concern is German parts, and 2-3 months wait in case I have a big mechanical issue. High possibility I buy a 2011 FJ Cruiser. Toyota has great re-sale value here.

Please advise.

Thanks Again

Old 08-23-2014, 10:57 PM
Arkie
1st Gear
STILL undecided. Can I get a neutral opinion from someone who owns a MINI Cooper S and FJ Cruiser please?

http://articulo.tucarro.com.co/MCO-4...fj-cruiser-_JM

http://articulo.tucarro.com.co/MCO-4...i-cooper-s-_JM

Old 08-23-2014, 11:38 PM
beken
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
I have a friend who owns an FJ Cruiser. Great car for what he uses it for. It's a totally different type of car than a MINI Cooper S.

My advice is to consider carefully what you need your car for first before randomly picking a car. You'll be much happier if you get a car that meets your needs first, then what you want.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:43 PM
Arkie
1st Gear
Thanks Beken for the PM. I got it and read it just now.

Last edited by Arkie; 08-24-2014 at 08:31 AM.