R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 all things electric started either coming on or not working????

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 03:03 PM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all things electric started either coming on or not working????

My 03 started with blinker switch not shutting off, one tail light staying on, light bar under rear spoiler staying on, driver side blinker staying on, etc.etc.etc. Help

Old 05-01-2014, 03:43 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Feel your (us) passenger side interior wheel well...by the glove box...it might be wet...
The BCM...THE BODY CONTROL MODULE ...the item that controls that stuff is located there...when it gets wet....it short circuits and usually gets fried....sometimes the leak is from the sunroof drain....

Old 05-02-2014, 08:21 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
ZippyNH,
thank you so much...a couple things i didn't mention...at that same time my passenger floor board got soaked, we had a heavy rain and could actually see the water flowing in at the front edge of door, it had water standing in the front floor board and even the back fb was wet...when i first bought the car in 07, it's an 03 it would leak on the driver side fb...my daughters boyfriend a mechanic for Nissan pulled the panel around top of door and near visor and found that the drain hose was not connected, he fixed, no more leak...he is no longer in picture and i am a "baller on a budget widow"....have had leak issue before that would get into battery well...dealership said they could investigate....at a price of course...i have figured out how to do some things...you are a God send...and i truly believe you are exactly right as to the problem....thank you!!!...if you can tell me any more about fixing would greatly appreciate...i didn't see the guy(no longer in picture) fix the tube...had just got the car and he said didn't want me "freaking out" seeing him pulling my "new" car apart.
THANK YOU again, sincerely Debra

Old 05-02-2014, 09:26 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Some had luck cleaning the BC1/BCM & its plug w/ contact cleaner & thoroughly drying them. We tried to do that w/ a buddy's 03 R50 to no avail. He had to order a new BC1 which could set one back around $500 from vendors like Pelican, ECS, WMW. Aside from the dealership, WMW could probably program it for you.
Before you do this, be sure to find & fix that leak. If it's caused by dislodged sunroof drain, remove the A pillars, visors & rear view mirror assembly to bring the front headliner low enough to access & push the drain tube into the spout then secure w/ zipties.

Last edited by minsanity; 05-02-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:29 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minsanity
Some had luck cleaning the BC1/BCM & its plug w/ contact cleaner & thoroughly drying them. We tried to do that w/ a buddy's 03 R50 to no avail. He had to order a new BC1 which could set one back around $500 from vendors like Pelican, ECS, WMW. Aside from the dealership, WMW could probably program it for you.
Before you do this, be sure to find & fix that leak. If it's caused by dislodged sunroof drain, remove the A pillars, visors & rear view mirror assembly to bring the front headliner low enough to access & push the drain tube into the spout then secure w/ zipties.

+1

Old 05-02-2014, 07:31 PM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
thank you minsanity....went out and got a Haynes repair manuel....i wish i would have watched the guy fix my driver side sunroof drain, but one of those 20/20 sight things.....you and ZippyNH are right on the money as far as the leak issue...will get on it....just gotta put my big girl pants on and go to it....thank you so much.....sincerely Debra

Old 05-02-2014, 07:40 PM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
hey ZippyNH.....thanks for the info.....am gonna give it my best!....like i told minsanity...got a Haynes book....bit over my head, but will give it my best...(someone needs to tell Haynes about flash bulbs when then take a pic...lol)....thanks again...really appreciate it....Debra

Old 05-04-2014, 05:18 PM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
Hey ZippyNH...the drain hose wasn't connected on my passenger side!...something they don't even say exist in that Haynes book...duh...have i have a 03 S and my BCM is on the driver side....there was no water there...but...i have had leak issues in the boot and battery compartment...i seem to recall the guy that fixed the drain hose on the driver side right after i had got the car mentioning that they drain to the front "and" the back"???...also when looking through the book they showed a vent tube and a cover for the positive cable side...a few years back had issues....took to dealership and they said it was cause the guy that had the car before me had put in an aftermarket battery???....they put in a Exide battery and just left this orange plastic thing in my boot...there are holes on battery for it to go on top but there is no way it can latch and there is no place to plug that vent tube into the battery??? I sure would appreciate a bit more help.......sincerely Debra

Old 05-04-2014, 09:19 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
The orange plastic thing (if you are talking about what I think you are) is the battery disconnect....in the event of an accident with an airbag deployment, it disconnects the battery cable going to the starter, preventing a possible fire, and prevents the car from restarting...
An aftermarket battery is fine with the right venting...most batteries do have a kit you can plug a tube into the battery to vent....an overcharged battery CAN make some hydrogen gas...so to prevent an explosive buildup inside the car, it is vented....sometimes the vent parts are sold seperatly and snaps on...the vent is just a piece of fish tank airline going out the bottom of the car...nothing fancy...
Good to hear you got the drains connected!!
Things working better now it is drying out?

Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by zarkinfrude
i have a 03 S and my BCM is on the driver side....there was no water there
Just to be clear about this... the BCM is in the right side of the car (passenger side in the US). The fuse box (with access panel) is on the left side. There is no access panel for the BCM, and getting to it requires removing the entire interior trim panel in the right side footwell. Is there any moisture around the passenger footwell area?

Old 05-05-2014, 06:30 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
hi RKW...yes there was water, we had a down pour and i guess with the passenger drain tube not being connected, this was the first time i ever had water on the passenger side...driving home it was literally pouring in at the front/bottom area of the passenger door...had standing water in floor in front and back on passenger side...but I would say it didn't get wet any more than an inch going up the sides of the floor mat....like I told ZippyNH...I did the work & reconnected the drain hose on that side...ie., I got my big girl pants on and no guy to help me and am wanting to do as much of the work as it takes to not pay a bunch of labor charges....any way. I'll remove what i can to get to the BCM...can I tell by looking at it if it is fried?.....Also are there drain hoses from sunroof than run to the back?...because on the passenger side the car has apparently (even before I bought it) had a leak issue in the boot on that side and has gotten water in the battery well....thank you all so very much...I bought the car after my husband died and well am on my own as far as knowing what to do...and the Mini Cooper repair shop is a joke!...even I can tell that!...your guys are pretty much all I got and thank God for ya....sincerely Debra

Old 05-05-2014, 06:50 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Total of 4 drain tubes. 2 out front on the A pillars & 2 on the rear C pillars. Check rear hatch handle. If seal is bad, water can get in there too. It's the usual cause of hatch switch failure.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:26 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
thank you minsanity...no trouble with handle and the foam only shows water damage on passenger side...looks like I'm removing that C pillar...but hey if that's what it takes so be it....thank you, appreciate it!
Debra

Old 05-06-2014, 07:22 PM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
BCM options

got past the passenger floorboard leak issue. Book says a "special tool is required to check the BCM...okay...i can remove and take and have it checked....my question is...is that my next step...cause if it test out okay...then what??...i saw cable under passenger seat that i am sure got wet...as far as the BCM...no not sure it got wet at all. water was not on sides of foot well...i will do whatever it takes just not sure that jumping to conclusion that a $500 part is the answer
Sincerely,
Ready to work....just not rich...sorry....

Old 05-06-2014, 10:52 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Some had luck w contact cleaning & thorough drying. Check if terminals aren't corroded. Do this before getting new BCM.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 AM
ACEkraut11
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When my BCM got moist it took a couple weeks to dry out. When it did everything returned back to normal. Try using a hair dryer on the BCM and dry out where the BCM mounts very well. Then make sure all moisture is removed from the carpet etcetera.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
thank you for your reply...so....to be clear, I've got a Mk I 2003 S...went & bought a Haynes Repair Manual...I know it I really need to remove the sill/footwell kick panel. Having gotten my feet wet (pardon the pun!) fixing the passenger side drain tube for sunroof, am willing to take on the job of fixing my baby BUT...personally this book can be as confusing has helpful. I already have other issues that i want to investigate when i get all this taken care of BUT AGAIN...is this the best manual out there to assist me??....
THANKS so very much would be lost without you guys!
Sincerely, Debra

Old 05-07-2014, 11:54 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
What happens with wiring bundles is the water can "wick" up the bundle to the computer/competent.....look around for corrosion...heck...maybe park the car fan blowing lots of air through it if it is warm, or maybe a small electric heater (taking car not to start a fire) with the windows open an ich or 2......
a couple hours with a hair-dryer might work as well....
I am very impressed with your efforts! Regardless of the outcome, it sounds like you man taught you well and you can take care of things and may have gone further as a DIY'er than many guys!!!

The Bently book/repair manual is better, but they run about $75 used, about $100 new and are a bit more technical....Haynes books tend to be pretty generic, with info for the make/model and a few pictures...the Bently seems to be based off the factory service book....

The MINI Cooper Service Manual: 2002-2006 is a comprehensive source of service information and specifications for MINI Cooper models from 2002 to 2006. This manual supersedes our previous 2002-2004 manual with two more model years of coverage, including new repair information for the convertible and the 2005 facelift. The manual also includes coverage of the Cooper S models. The aim throughout this manual has been simplicity, clarity and completeness, with practical explanations, step-by-step procedures and accurate specifications. Whether you're a professional or a do-it-yourself MINI owner, this manual will help you understand, care for and repair your car. Though the do-it-yourself MINI owner will find this manual indispensable as a source of detailed maintenance and repair information, the owner who has no intention of working on his or her car will find that reading and owning this manual will make it possible to discuss repairs more intelligently with a professional technician.
Models and engines covered:
Cooper: W10 1.6 liter normally aspirated engine
Cooper S: W11 1.6 liter supercharged engine

Transmissions covered:
Cooper: Manual 5-speed transmission (Midlands, Getrag)
Cooper: Automatic continuously variable transmission (CVT)
Cooper S: Manual 6-speed transmission (Getrag)
Cooper S: Automatic with Agitronic (Aisin)
Technical highlights:
Procedures for everything from basic oil change service to interpreting the malfunction indicator light (MIL). This manual tells you what to do and how and when to do it.
Engine and cylinder head service, including camshaft timing chain setup and adjustment.
Information for specific driveability problems, including explanation of the engine management system and OBD II diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs)
Theory of operation and repair information for the EMS2000 engine management system.
Supercharger and intercooler information, including component removal and replacement (Cooper S)
Drivetrain maintenance, including troubleshooting, adjustment and repair of clutch, gearshift linkage and drive axles.
Manual and automatic transmission removal, installation, seal replacement and external service.
System description and repair information for Antilock Brakes (ABS), Automatic Stability Control (ASC) and Dynamic Stability Control (DSC).
Heating and air conditioning repair (IHKS / IHKA), including component replacement.
Body adjustments and repairs, including sunroof and convertible.
Wiring schematics and extensive electrical component section specifying relay, control module and ground locations with detailed illustrations and photos.
NEW, This manual now comes as a hard cover.

29%

Fits 2002-2003 Cooper R50
Fits 2002-2003 Cooper S R53
Fits 2002-2006 Cooper R50
Fits 2002-2006 Cooper S R53
Fits 2005-2006 JCW Hardtop R53
Fits 2005-2008 Cabrio R52
Fits 2005-2008 Cabrio S R52
Fits 2005-2008 JCW Cabrio R52
http://www.waymotorworks.com/bentley...ir-manual.html

Old 05-08-2014, 05:36 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
Thank you ZippyNH, appreciate the compliment very much!...Yep, my husband died before I got the car, was an over the road truck driver, couldn't even drive it home when i bought it with it being a 6 speed!...just kept driving around the little town we lived in picking the worse hill with a stop sign at the top...sometimes people would be sitting outside...God what they must of thought....lol...but never had to grind em to find em...lol!...Am really stoked to get at not just this issue but stuff that as bugged me but didn't know and couldn't afford the $150 an hr. labor for...got my weekend planned out...gonna remove that sill/footwell kick panel to get a look at the BCM and let air really get to it, remove the C-piller trim cause I can bet that drain hose isn't connected and that is why it leaks in the boot and had water damage on foam under the boot mat ever since i got it...then going to work on the driver side tail light, it's been hazy ever since i got the car also and drives me nuts!...I guess you probably wonder why i bought it at all...when i got it in October 07 it only had 26,000 miles on it from one owner and the guy had put the kick butt radio in it (yeah, girl thing), sport pkg, heated seats...etc.. It has some ruff spots but mostly the mileage sold me...and I figured like my old man use to say about a hog....ya break em in hard!...she kinda looked a bit like that...
Any way, I did see that book you told me about on Amazon....will get as soon as i can...heck, they pay for themselves with one issue ya come across!
But really, I couldn't have even started this journey had it not been for your help and I mean that sincerely....Thank you, Debra

Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Way to go, Deb. Throwing your way some prayers to bring normal back to your BC1. Take your time & add even more patience.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
minsanity, thank you so very much your words and especially prayers are greatly appreciated!...talked to my youngest daughter, who has never liked my car by the way...eh!....that i was and had to fix myself...she has major doubts but i explained the help i am and have got but the thing that stopped her in her tracks was when i ask if her electrical wiring was submersed in water, would her 2012 Sonata still start and run?...no...we love each other and have differences but mutual respect, even on cars now!...lol....thanks again
Debra

Old 05-12-2014, 09:07 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
Hi ZippyNH....well plans for weekend didn't go exactly as planned. After prying the sill/footweel kick panel trim away enough to see the wiring along bottom of passenger door...(I don't have a torx head that it big enough for the seat belt floor mount, only a P1, P2 and P3...look like a P5 size (if there is such a thing) at least...but when i put my fingers in next to the bundle of wiring, they where submersed in water over my nails and could tell that similar to the foam under boot mat, that underneath floor carpet is pretty much the same...have to say that seeing that was a bit breaking...but, i don't know why exactly but am even more determined to save my baby!...Got on Amazon and ordered the Bentley book....they had a earlier version, printed in 06 that covers my make and year and got it for $54 used...have a couple other things in my favor (i hope)...when my husband died i gave a couple large Kennedy tool boxes and tools to the guy that is a mechanic that had fixed the sunroof drain leak that i mentioned before...as i said i "gave him the boxes and tools only keeping a smaller one for myself and a selection of tools i thought i would need to everyday stuff.. am still in good standing with him even though daughter and he broke up years ago...he was the one who went with me and drove my baby home cause i didn't know how yet...sorry...anyway...am going to ask him for any tools that where in the boxes that he thinks i may need....don't see as he will mind has not asking for boxes and all...also know a guy through my youngest daughter that works on cars...sold him. wife and daughter a lot of things including my old Ford 98 Escort and some Snap On tools i was hard to part with...been in touch over years and know her has also rebuilt a old VW Bug...i figure will call on him if i need a bit of muscle. Had to move my car back on street and we had a big rain...no leaks!...so i guess i got my first job on her right!...sorry to talk a lot no one else....thanks again...suppose to get book around the 16th
Sincerely,
Debra

Old 05-13-2014, 07:01 AM
zarkinfrude
1st Gear
Hey ZipptyNH...tool guy fell though...said they where old and rusty and he gave to charity....okay?....my old man would smack his butt (trying not to get kicked of here by using language i would like to...lol)...I mean really?...Michael never put his tools away without wiping em down and using some kind of lubricant on em...even had these rubber mats in bottom of drawers....anyway.....like i said waiting on Bentley book but question????....if that wiring is like a wick and i get it that it is, with it being that bad...am i looking at replacing it as well because it will just go to a new BCM....also did learn from tool guy that once i disconnect the BCM the car won't run...also read that the new one has to me programmed by professional....any thoughts????
Sincerely,
Debra

Old 05-13-2014, 11:58 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Wiring should be fine if not cut....
It "wicks" up between the wires...not through the actual wires/insulation....
Biggest thing is dry out the interior....water can destroy a car...rust longer term, but mold, mildew, etc...a wet/dry vac or just the extractor part of a wet carpet vac can suck most of the water out in a few minutes....then lots of air and some sun....
You MIGHT be able to get a bcm preprogrammed....not sure, but some places can program the parts and ship...might save a trip to a dealer....ask around... Maybe a vendor can chime in...
You can get a toric/star bit set that looks like a pocket knife....unused ones fold back into the handle...not ideal but cheap...or just get the end bits that fit into a nutdriver/ratchet...also cheaper than a full set of them with handles.... Heck a local fellow (maybe a Hubby's buddy from way back) might let you borrow a set...

Old 05-13-2014, 01:24 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey Debra here is a link to ECS in case you do have to get a new one http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2003-C...onic/ES169198/
As far as I know it does need to be programmed to your Car by the dealer or an Indy shop with correct hardware, call ECS or Way Motor works as previously suggested

If you do get a new part try to get the upgraded lit for it, it cost about 3 bucks and it will protect it a bit more from water.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2003-C...onic/ES169133/

I hope it helps

Quick Reply: R50/53 all things electric started either coming on or not working????