R50/R53 :: Hatch Talk (2002-2006) Cooper (R50) and Cooper S (R53) hatchback discussion.

R50/53 Rechargeable (?) Key

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rechargeable (?) Key

I've read the key for my 2006 is supposed to recharge while I drive, but it doesn't seem to be doing so. What are my options?
Also, I just bought this car, and there was only the one key--which makes me a little nervous. What must I do (how much must I pay) to get another operating key?
Jack

Old 04-16-2013, 07:39 AM
thirdraildesignlab
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
The R53 key does not recharge. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dealer key replacement was about $175 when we did it for that car.

Old 04-16-2013, 07:47 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
+1 on what he said! ^^^

oddly enough, the R53 Battery IS rechargeable however!...theres just no way to get to it without nearly destroying the key. trust me on this one...

Old 04-16-2013, 08:35 AM
minibx
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes the 05-06 R53's key does recharge every time the key is in the ignition that's why if you have two keys you should use them both at least every few months,MINI says every 6 months.
If the key was not in use for a while you may need to drive the car for a while until it charges. I think that a new key will run you about 250.00

Old 04-16-2013, 09:03 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Beermaestro, explain why you think the key isn't recharging. Is the remote lock/unlock not working or has very short range? There could be other reasons for that, such as car's receiver (in a recent thread, an owner fixed a short range issue by replacing the receiver).

Old 04-16-2013, 09:19 AM
astroBlackMetallic_Mini
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Ok. There must be 2 kinds of keys then, one that plugs into the car, and the "regular" key with the metal piece.

I have ripped open MY key, the regular one, and I can tell you, there IS no recharging going on in that key. There is no inductance circuit, nor is there any wires going to the circuit board.

So, to settle this recurring discussion, the regular metal stick key on an R53 IS NOT RECHARGEABLE.

The only way to fix this, is to desolate the original battery, and replace it, or build the batteries recharge circuit, as supplied by the maker, then glue the key back together, as it is sonic welded together!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:34 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by thirdraildesignlab
The R53 key does not recharge. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Dealer key replacement was about $175 when we did it for that car.
Wrong!!
The face-lift 2005+ cars keys inductively charge...like those Panasonic electric razors...no plug.
The battery will EXPLODE from the charging if you PRY the key appart, and put in a normal battery....
A few folks did find NickelMetal Hydride batteries and get them shipped form China/Taiwan....
Simpler thing....buy a uncut e-bay key, and open it...lets you PRACTICE getting the new battery out...and move it to the OLD key!!
Or just buy new keys from the dealer!!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:38 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by astroBlackMetallic_Mini
Ok. There must be 2 kinds of keys then, one that plugs into the car, and the "regular" key with the metal piece.

I have ripped open MY key, the regular one, and I can tell you, there IS no recharging going on in that key. There is no inductance circuit, nor is there any wires going to the circuit board.

So, to settle this recurring discussion, the regular metal stick key on an R53 IS NOT RECHARGEABLE.

The only way to fix this, is to desolate the original battery, and replace it, or build the batteries recharge circuit, as supplied by the maker, then glue the key back together, as it is sonic welded together!
The dealers sells a NON REMOTE key....for 2005's..for less $$. BUT NO REMOTE BUTTONS!!
If you have a remote, it is rechargeable!! Unless the battery or the inductive charging transmitter ring in the car has gone bad!!

Old 04-16-2013, 10:43 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductive_charging
To say the 2005+gen1 key DOES NOT HAVE inductive charging is like saying BMW/MINI conducted FRAUD in the sale of the car, and all MANUALS!!
It is there...IF YOURS does not work, it does not mean it is not there!!

Old 04-16-2013, 11:16 AM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Beermaestro, explain why you think the key isn't recharging. Is the remote lock/unlock not working or has very short range? There could be other reasons for that, such as car's receiver (in a recent thread, an owner fixed a short range issue by replacing the receiver).
The reason I think the key may not be recharging is that it doesn't lock or unlock the doors--at all from any range.

I must say I am more confused than when I posted. My car is an R50. It is pre-facelift. According to my manual, which I have read through twice, the key recharges whenever the car is driven. I have put about four or five hours on the car since I bought it.

And just parenthetically I wonder at what sheep we have become that we are willing to pay $250 for a couple of dollars worth of metal and plastic. It makes me wonder if I've chosen the wrong car. On another matter I have been told by MINI that I must pay to have a dealer turn off automatic locking. Pay for something that ought to be done as a courtesy. It's a crazy world.

Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Beermaestro, I'm not a fan of dealer pricing, but today's keys are far more than 'a couple of dollars worth of metal and plastic'. You're thinking of the 80's. The key has to communicate with the DME for the car to start, so it has to be mated with ONLY your DME. That means doing more than sticking a key in a machine to cut it.
Your only mistake was not discounting the price of the car to include the cost of getting a spare key.
Note: You may be able to re-sync the key to the car. Refer to this post. Good luck!

Old 04-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Eric_Rowland
Beermaestro, I'm not a fan of dealer pricing, but today's keys are far more than 'a couple of dollars worth of metal and plastic'. You're thinking of the 80's. The key has to communicate with the DME for the car to start, so it has to be mated with ONLY your DME. That means doing more than sticking a key in a machine to cut it.
Your only mistake was not discounting the price of the car to include the cost of getting a spare key.
Note: You may be able to re-sync the key to the car. Refer to this post. Good luck!
With all due respect, Eric, if I'd have been thinking of the 80s, I would have said a few cents. I am fully aware of the electronics contained within the key and their cost to produce.

Old 04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Beermaestro
My car is an R50. It is pre-facelift.
Pre-facelift is 2004 or older. You said yours is a 2006. If your reverse lights are in the taillights (not in the center rear bumper), it is facelift. The facelift key fob has 3 buttons -- unlock doors, unlock trunk, lock (MINI emblem), and it is rechargeable. The pre-facelift key fob only has 2 buttons and has a replaceable battery.

The reason I think the key may not be recharging is that it doesn't lock or unlock the doors--at all from any range.
The first thing to try is reprogram the remote. Instructions here: http://new.minimania.com/article/222...Keys_R50-52-53. If reprogramming doesn't work, the problem could be in either the key or the car receiver. The remote receiver in a 2006 is inside the rear view mirror. I've never seen anybody report and verify that the rechargeable battery went bad, so I think that is unlikely.

Last edited by rkw; 04-16-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Pre-facelift is 2004 or older. You said yours is a 2006. If your reverse lights are in the taillights (not in the center rear bumper), it is facelift. The facelift key fob has 3 buttons -- unlock doors, unlock trunk, lock (MINI emblem), and it is rechargeable. The pre-facelift key fob only has 2 buttons and has a replaceable battery.
I thought the facelift started with 2007 cars. I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by rkw
The first thing to try is reprogram the remote. Instructions here: http://new.minimania.com/article/222...Keys_R50-52-53. If reprogramming doesn't work, the problem could be in either the key or the car receiver. The remote receiver in a 2006 is inside the rear view mirror. I've never seen anybody report and verify that the rechargeable battery went bad, so I think that is unlikely.
I'll give this a try. I'd come across this, but figured if the battery was dead... Will post results.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:12 PM
minibx
5th Gear

I must say I am more confused than when I posted. My car is an R50. It is pre-facelift. According to my manual, which I have read through twice, the key recharges whenever the car is driven. I have put about four or five hours on the car since I bought it.

And just parenthetically I wonder at what sheep we have become that we are willing to pay $250 for a couple of dollars worth of metal and plastic. It makes me wonder if I've chosen the wrong car. On another matter I have been told by MINI that I must pay to have a dealer turn off automatic locking. Pay for something that ought to be done as a courtesy. It's a crazy world.

That's modern cars for you!!!! It's not limited to MINIs or BMW most car keys nowadays are expensive to replace, the remote on my other car is 350.00 so it is what it is, you can always choose to buy the non remote key too.
Sometimes if you go to the dealer to purchase a new key they can do that code for free( automatic locking) or if you are doing some other service or a BMW/MINI Indi shop could do it too for a small fee.
Just so you know MINI parts are expensive sooo... Good luck and I hope that you can resolve the problem

Old 04-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Originally Posted by minibx
That's modern cars for you!!!! It's not limited to MINIs or BMW most car keys nowadays are expensive to replace, the remote on my other car is 350.00 so it is what it is, you can always choose to buy the non remote key too.
Sometimes if you go to the dealer to purchase a new key they can do that code for free( automatic locking) or if you are doing some other service or a BMW/MINI Indi shop could do it too for a small fee.
Just so you know MINI parts are expensive sooo... Good luck and I hope that you can resolve the problem
Dammit, Jim, the revival procedures did not work.

So I can buy a non-remote key for a reasonable price? It doesn't have to have a chip?

Old 04-16-2013, 02:20 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I thought the facelift started with 2007 cars. I stand corrected.
Just a note on terminology. "facelift" (or "refresh") usually refers to a minor update while keeping the car model the same, to extend sales for a couple more years. The R50/R53 was produced from 2002-2006 and there was a refresh at 2005 with minor cosmetic and mechanical updates. 2007 introduced the completely new R56 model (usually referred to as 2nd generation MINI), and it had its refresh in 2011. It will be replaced at the end of this year with the 3rd generation MINI.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:56 PM
minibx
5th Gear
Dammit, Jim, the revival procedures did not work.

So I can buy a non-remote key for a reasonable price? It doesn't have to have a chip?

Yes, you can get a key made without the remote, I'm not 100% sure but I think it's around 75.00 bucks but don't know for sure

Old 04-16-2013, 04:38 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minibx
Yes, you can get a key made without the remote, I'm not 100% sure but I think it's around 75.00 bucks but don't know for sure
The non-remote key is cheaper....
I would suggest getting 2 keys...
One non-remote, one regular, that way if the dealer charges you a "programming fee" you get two WORKING keys out of the deal, and your 3rd key MIGHT start to work.....
The MISSING keys can then be DEACTIVATED!
2005+ (model year cars) the "facelift"gen1 MINI's came with
3 keys... ( I picked my car up new)
2 remote keys
1 small all plastic "wallet" key, an emergency key.
Once a key is deactivated, it WILL still OPEN the door, but NOT start the car.
Yes, it is a $$ to swallow, but I don't know why anybody would buy a MODERN car with ONE key, and not Discount the $ by a a couple hundred $$.
The dealer WILL ask for proof of ownership when you order the keys...
sometimes a fax of the registration will be enough...call ahead, and SAVE a trip to the dealer....the keys MUST be ordered.

And yes, the replacement key DOES HAVE A CHIP....
A tiny RFID chip...it MUST BE PRESENT for the car to start, and is separate from the remote chips/battery. The "immobilizer" chip is passive, but has a code the car reads.

Old 05-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Beermaestro
1st Gear
Just to close this out... my dealer paid for a new master key from Motorwerks in Bloomington, MN. Nice going Walser Hyundai! And my original key definitely does not work--the new key linked easily; the old key would not no matter what. It is now my spare.
BTW, I was able to do it all by fax and mail.

Old 08-28-2013, 02:30 PM
Pirate007
2nd Gear
Have perused a hundred posts on the subject of the dead or dying key fob with the rechargable battery... Yes.. some model years have rechargable batteries some don't... Duly noted, but I can't seem to get a simple answer to this question...

My 2008 has the 3 buttons... and it's supposed to be a rechargable battery... but my dash says it's not charged or needs to be charged almost on a daily basis.. I assume the battery is just past it's prime.

Do I just open up the back and replace the battery with the CR-2032?

In a hundred posts on the subject I can't find a single post where anyone said... Just take out the rechargeable battery and replace it.. Not one..

Old 08-28-2013, 03:09 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
2008 is a different model unless it is a cabrio...

Old 08-28-2013, 03:16 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirate007
Have perused a hundred posts on the subject of the dead or dying key fob with the rechargable battery... Yes.. some model years have rechargable batteries some don't... Duly noted, but I can't seem to get a simple answer to this question...

My 2008 has the 3 buttons... and it's supposed to be a rechargable battery... but my dash says it's not charged or needs to be charged almost on a daily basis.. I assume the battery is just past it's prime.

Do I just open up the back and replace the battery with the CR-2032?

In a hundred posts on the subject I can't find a single post where anyone said... Just take out the rechargeable battery and replace it.. Not one..
If you can pop open the back and see a CR-2032 you don't have a rechargeable battery. Just replace it and you're done.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Pirate007
2nd Gear
Different model than what? it's a hatchback Cooper "S"....

Originally Posted by ZippyNH
2008 is a different model unless it is a cabrio...

Old 08-28-2013, 03:19 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Pirate007
Different model than what? it's a hatchback Cooper "S"....
You're in the 1st gen (2002-2006) section.

See my post right before this one. I was editing when you posted.

Quick Reply: R50/53 Rechargeable (?) Key