Off-Topic :: Autos Interested in discussing other autos? This is the place!

Justa mini cooper

Old 11-11-2015, 06:50 AM
BadgeFTW
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Justa mini cooper

Why do people like the justa mini cooper? Maybe its just me, but i dont see the appeal. I dont think they look as nice and nowadays you can get and s for just as much as a justa. So why pick an R50 over an R53?

Last edited by BadgeFTW; 11-11-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:30 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts
If you are talking about the second generation, it is all about reliability. They simply are a lower cost to operate. With the addition of a Sprint Booster or another throttle enhancing device, the performance is very acceptable. Fuel mileage is good, but it is on a S as well. A S has some very expensive failures that occur during its lifetime in most cases. A Non-S has far, far fewer issues in most cases. I have a very well optioned Non-S that can do everything a S does. It will never be as fast in a straight line, but it will handle as good or better and I will have a simpler life with it. Presently 141000 miles. Keeping it forever. Expecting 300000+ miles from it.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:50 PM
BadgeFTW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Ive's Mini
If you are talking about the second generation, it is all about reliability. They simply are a lower cost to operate. With the addition of a Sprint Booster or another throttle enhancing device, the performance is very acceptable. Fuel mileage is good, but it is on a S as well. A S has some very expensive failures that occur during its lifetime in most cases. A Non-S has far, far fewer issues in most cases. I have a very well optioned Non-S that can do everything a S does. It will never be as fast in a straight line, but it will handle as good or better and I will have a simpler life with it. Presently 141000 miles. Keeping it forever. Expecting 300000+ miles from it.
Wow yeah, my dad has an 08 and it is absolute garbage in the maintenance department. i just dont see the appeal beetween the r50 and the r53.

Old 11-15-2015, 10:44 PM
Martin-Logan
2nd Gear
For me it's just tough to drive a base model of ANYTHING knowing there's something "better" out there. Yes, sometimes "better" could be debated, but this is why my CRXs and Civics were Si's, my Camaros were Z28's or IROC's, my MINI that I ordered new back in 2002 was an S, etc.

This is especially true when the engines are drastically different, like my Mustang is a 5.0L but the alternative back when it was new was a 4 cylinder. Easy choice. But take for example a Miata - the base model is probably actually quicker due to lighter weight in many model years, because they all have the same engine (not counting Mazdaspeed turbo versions made for a short time 10 years ago).

Old 11-16-2015, 04:45 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Martin-Logan
For me it's just tough to drive a base model of ANYTHING knowing there's something "better" out there.
I understand that completely. When ever possible my cars always had leather interiors, sun/moon roofs along with other goodies. My wife's present CR-V has all the bells and whistles. However, when I bought my '13 Mini I went with the simple little Justa. I still don't know why but I have really learned to enjoy the simplicity of the car. The added bonus I've received is two years of absolutely flawless operation. The only time my car has been back to the dealership is for the free service.

Old 11-18-2015, 07:18 AM
BadgeFTW
3rd Gear
Yes i totally agree with that train of thought, if i where to ever get a WRX for example id get the STI version. I just dont get the appeal if somebody wants to get a R50/R53 mini why wont they just go with the R53 it has more power,more options, and the body modifications. When ever i see a justa mini cooper i think it was somebody who bought it becuase it was "cute", and it really grinds my gears. Going along with that is the mentallity that most people have when they hear "mini cooper" most people think of the cute little toy for females(not to offend anyone). I always find my self having to say my Mini is an S and explaning how good of a car it is, but i digress. Cheers Badge from SC

Old 11-18-2015, 09:07 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Some of us please ourselves instead of others. I can't speak to the first gen cars nor believe R50 and R53 are identically priced. I liked my 2010's base for its perfectly balanced handling. I like my 2014 Roadster S for the top down motoring. The extra power just makes me a lazy driver. Then there are the issues of mpg, reliability, affordability, and value for dollar (the first step to wealth).

If you even momentarily think anyone who buys a base MINI does so because they are cute, you have the same judgmental problem as the people to whom you are trying to explain yourself.

The base is still an Autocross champion. The "S" has fallen and the JCW never was. Twiggy had an original Mini. So did Steve McQueen.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:16 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Very well said hsautocrosser. Thank you.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:33 PM
BadgeFTW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
Some of us please ourselves instead of others. I can't speak to the first gen cars nor believe R50 and R53 are identically priced. I liked my 2010's base for its perfectly balanced handling. I like my 2014 Roadster S for the top down motoring. The extra power just makes me a lazy driver. Then there are the issues of mpg, reliability, affordability, and value for dollar (the first step to wealth). If you even momentarily think anyone who buys a base MINI does so because they are cute, you have the same judgmental problem as the people to whom you are trying to explain yourself. The base is still an Autocross champion. The "S" has fallen and the JCW never was. Twiggy had an original Mini. So did Steve McQueen.
Most people who buy base minis are wemon who think they are cute, i am a judgementel person, sorry i just cant get into the justa MINI.

Last edited by BadgeFTW; 11-18-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 11-18-2015, 01:04 PM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the corrections you made to that post.

Old 11-18-2015, 01:19 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BadgeFTW
Most people who buy base minis are wemon who think they are cute, i am a judgementel person, sorry i just cant get into the justa MINI.
You do make me smile. I've owned a good number of cute cars over the years. The last three I owned before my present Justa was a Scion FR-S, Mazda Miata and a 911 Carrera Cabriolet; all cute cars. My wife (a woman) thinks of it as quirky, not necessarily cute.

Old 11-18-2015, 03:26 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, dangit! Better turn in my "man card". I bought the Justa because I wanted the handling without the extra complexity of the turbocharged engine. The various posts in the R56 forums make me think I made the right choice on that. Besides, I can already get a ticket in the Justa, an S or JCW would just get me into more trouble quicker!

Old 11-18-2015, 03:57 PM
ShipM8
4th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm sort of a less-is-more kind of guy. I'd like to be able to get rid of half the junk on my car that serves no purpose other than to frustrate me or break...like tpms, power windows/mirrors, warnings to tell me it's cold and that I'm low on gas, heated seats, etc...I did consider an "S" but I didn't think I needed to go any faster, I like getting good mileage, and I like having a spare tire.

Last edited by ShipM8; 11-18-2015 at 03:58 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 11-18-2015, 04:36 PM
BadgeFTW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by hsautocrosser
I like the corrections you made to that post.
Thanks…

Old 11-18-2015, 04:38 PM
BadgeFTW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ShipM8
I'm sort of a less-is-more kind of guy. I'd like to be able to get rid of half the junk on my car that serves no purpose other than to frustrate me or break...like tpms, power windows/mirrors, warnings to tell me it's cold and that I'm low on gas, heated seats, etc...I did consider an "S" but I didn't think I needed to go any faster, I like getting good mileage, and I like having a spare tire.
Yhea, deffinently agree with that. A lot of times less is more, lotus thaught us that.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:43 PM
BadgeFTW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Slave to Felines
Well, dangit! Better turn in my "man card". I bought the Justa because I wanted the handling without the extra complexity of the turbocharged engine. The various posts in the R56 forums make me think I made the right choice on that. Besides, I can already get a ticket in the Justa, an S or JCW would just get me into more trouble quicker!
i can agree with that. The r56s has so many issues just becuase its an S.

Old 11-18-2015, 04:45 PM
BadgeFTW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by whaap
You do make me smile. I've owned a good number of cute cars over the years. The last three I owned before my present Justa was a Scion FR-S, Mazda Miata and a 911 Carrera Cabriolet; all cute cars. My wife (a woman) thinks of it as quirky, not necessarily cute.
there is a diffrence between cute and sexy you know. It is personel taste but the mini has a face that is always happy and big, innocent, shy, headlights. C

Old 11-18-2015, 04:48 PM
BadgeFTW
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by whaap
Its all personel taste, some people think that 911's are cute, but mini are just so innocent and happy that it is cute. If you went out to downtown and asked people what they think of when they hear mini cooper you will get a lot of "oh those cute little toys"?