Navigation & Audio Is it possible to mirror iPhone display to mini connected?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:20 PM
mikecalgon
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dharvey1221
So how did u get it to work? I have iPhone 4S, jailbroken. Installed display out. Seems every time a video plays display out is giving a warning to use the internal app not display out? If you got it to work are you using any other apps with it?

I have tried external and through connected. With display out on it says please install compatible device. I tried to downgrade the latest firmware update on the car but that didn't make a difference.

Any suggestions would be great! So close
Well, I am new too. Here is what I do
Update my iPhone 4 to 6.1
Jailbreak with evisn0w
Install sbsetings , toggles, sbrotator( does not work with ios6.1) etc
Some addon includes
Display purchased.
When my iPhone is connected , displayout detects external device

Play a video through mini media, the video is overed by displayout , then get iPhone screen.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:00 AM
ALex Reyen
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikecalgon
I confirmed displayout 1.6.9 works with my iPhone 4 iOS 6.1.
Sbrotator not updated. You have to rotate iPhone by yourself.
To Alex , you may protend to play a video on your mini connection.

Seems mikecalgon got it working, so the rest of us can pretend...
If thats a joke, i dont get it.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:01 AM
ZaliZoe
2nd Gear
I tried everything without results.

It works through external devices if you select a video from your iphone by the menu on the visual boost.
I also wrote to ryan petrich telling him the issue.
He aswered back asking what is wrong. Maybe all of you guys should write him.
You find his email inside the displayout app description.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:19 AM
mikecalgon
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ALex Reyen
Seems mikecalgon got it working, so the rest of us can pretend...
If thats a joke, i dont get it.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:24 AM
ZaliZoe
2nd Gear
Ok.

Also for me it works from external devices but it stops once you start moving with the car.
Trought plugin interface it usually doesn't stop while driving.
That's the difference.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 PM
pidge1114
Banned
I have Display Out installed on a jailbroken 6.0 software.

I go to Mini Connected, scroll to 'plugin', then connect my iPhone, and nothing happens. I also tried connecting to Mini Connected first, which works fine with the iPhone where all the apps load up, but again when i scroll down to 'plugin' and click it, it doesn't do anything.

For those that have gotten it to work, can you please specify the process in which you click/plugin/choose settings? that might be the key.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:07 PM
TazMinianDevil
4th Gear
Check your cable. Does the head jack pin have 3 individual bands or just 2? To get this to work you need all 3. Many of the low cost cables only have 2.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:20 PM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by TazMinianDevil
Check your cable. Does the head jack pin have 3 individual bands or just 2? To get this to work you need all 3. Many of the low cost cables only have 2.
I'm using the Y cable that Mini provided.

Old 02-09-2013, 07:59 PM
guitarte
Neutral
Hi All,

I'm not able to get display out to work consistently using an iPhone 4S on iOS 6.1

Example 1: Using the factory y-cable, plug in the iPhone with DisplayOut disabled. Go to plug-in under mini connected. Displays iPod Out as expected (album art with iPod interface)

Example 2: Using the factory y-cable, plug in the iPhone with DisplayOut enabled. Go to plug-in under mini connected. Black screen, then it times-out and displays an error to check the cable.

Example 3: Using the factory y-cable, plug in the iPhone with DisplayOut disabled. Go to plug-in under mini connected. Black screen, go to settings before it times out and turn off displayout > then the screen reverts to the normal iPod Out.

Trying to enable displayout while the iPod out is already running doesn't do anything.

I've emailed Ryan to see if he can suggest anything, but I think iOS 6.1 is now overriding the displayout with iPod Out or maybe blocking it. Either that or he will need to figure out how to take precedence over the iPod Out again (as it was working in 5.1.1 when this thread was first opened)

The only time I got it to work while the vehicle as in motion was when the iPhone crashed and rebooted to safe mode and I rebooted back and it was mirroring in the "plugin" interface.

The other way other folks have been able to get it to work, is while the vehicle is parked and using external devices > iphone > videos > play video > enable displayout - but this doesn't work while the vehicle is in motion.

-Chris

Old 02-09-2013, 09:41 PM
ALex Reyen
1st Gear
I cant seem to find external devices option on my mini connected. Can it not be on mine?

I have a 2012 MINI Countryman with Mini Connected and NAVI if that makes any difference.
Edit: Forget it.. Found it in CD/Multimedia

Last edited by ALex Reyen; 02-09-2013 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:08 PM
guitarte
Neutral
Originally Posted by ALex Reyen
I cant seem to find external devices option on my mini connected. Can it not be on mine?

I have a 2012 MINI Countryman with Mini Connected and NAVI if that makes any difference.
It's on the next screen where you select CD or Aux In. Lower left corner of the home screen.

Old 02-10-2013, 12:22 AM
ZaliZoe
2nd Gear
I'm second tired about it and so i bought this chip that a guy here in italy experienced it works crom external devices. It's from a german company:
http://prochip.de/shop/index.php?pag...74d1689ffa1371

Old 02-11-2013, 06:12 AM
ch51
Neutral
Hello,

I'm french and sorry for my english...
I try to connect my iphone on the mini connected and everything works but just works 2seconds (I see my SpringBoard) and after it's the iPod interface who is running...
How can I desactivate this interface who is lauching every time when I connect my iPhone ?

Thanks a lot !!!!

Charly

Old 02-11-2013, 05:26 PM
TRIPLE_O
2nd Gear
To get the video to play while you are driving, you need to have your vehicle coded for Video In Motion.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:05 PM
guitarte
Neutral
Originally Posted by coopers111
Ok guys, I took some photos of how the mirroring looks on the Connected screen.

When you first plug it in it shows that an external display has been connected

These show the iPhone's home screen horizontally. You need another Cydia tweak called sbRotator.

These are from the Tom Tom app. The screen follows the iPhone's orientation so you have to keep the iPhone horizontal.

This is the CNN app showing live tv.

And the I shot a little video of the MINI tv app playing. In the middle of the video the Tom Tom app starts giving directions to my destination. It wasn't supposed to happen but it shows that the sound of the video lowers, the nav gives the directions and then the video sound resumes.
This was working in plugin mode while driving on 5.1.1 (WITHOUT video in motion) but I haven't gotten it to work on jailbreak 6.1 with the latest version of display out in the plugin mode while driving.

Hopefully there's a fix that Ryan the developer of DisplayOut can provide. Should be a setting to override iPod out that gets piped out during the plugin mode...

Old 02-11-2013, 11:08 PM
guitarte
Neutral
Originally Posted by ch51
Hello,

I'm french and sorry for my english...
I try to connect my iphone on the mini connected and everything works but just works 2seconds (I see my SpringBoard) and after it's the iPod interface who is running...
How can I desactivate this interface who is lauching every time when I connect my iPhone ?

Thanks a lot !!!!

Charly
What version of iOS, iphone and display out are you running Charly? For ex: iOS 6.1, iphone 4, displayout 1.6.9

I want to send a follow up email to the developer with some of our configurations to see if that will help him

Old 02-13-2013, 09:16 AM
ZaliZoe
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by guitarte
This was working in plugin mode while driving on 5.1.1 (WITHOUT video in motion) but I haven't gotten it to work on jailbreak 6.1 with the latest version of display out in the plugin mode while driving.

Hopefully there's a fix that Ryan the developer of DisplayOut can provide. Should be a setting to override iPod out that gets piped out during the plugin mode...

What kind of fix are you talking about?
Is it there a way to override ipod out?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:19 AM
ZaliZoe
2nd Gear
Ah ok, you are hoping for a fix.
Sorry, i'm italian.

Old 02-13-2013, 05:37 PM
pidge1114
Banned
I reached to the developer as well. Haven't heard back.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:08 PM
wickywack
1st Gear
I managed to get mirroring to work with DisplayOut 1.6.9, IOS 6.1.1, and an iPhone 4S.

Beyond Jailbreaking and installing DisplayOut, I had to do one other step to get it to work. When the iPhone is connected to the Mini, a hidden app called iPodOut.app is triggered. This app seems to take control of the TV-out and interfere with DisplayOut. By renaming it and rebooting, it's no longer launched when connected. Instead, DisplayOut mirroring works. :-)

To rename, I:

(1) Installed iFile from Cydia.
(2) Started iFile and navigated to /Applications
(3) Found iPodOut.app and clicked on the blue arrow to the right.
(4) The top line should read "Name iPodOut.app". Click on this and rename to "iPodOut.app$".
(5) Reboot.

Next time I connected to the Mini with DisplayOut enabled, my screen mirrored properly on the Mini Display. Note, the iPadOut.app is the one that shows the nice Apple TV like interface of your playlists, etc. That no longer works since I renamed it, but it was interfering with everything else.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:25 PM
countryman-s
4th Gear
thanks wickywack. mine would show the ipod dispay sometimes. i would fiddle with it until it worked correct. i followed your instructions and will check it out when i get home.

Last edited by countryman-s; 02-17-2013 at 10:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-18-2013, 05:18 AM
mbabischkin
6th Gear
I'm still waiting on my CM-S w/Connected to be delivered but I've got a couple of questions:

First was this accomplished by reprogramming the car to accept Video in Motion in addition to the jailbreak - or was it a jailbreak only?

Does this only work on pre-Lightning iPhones only, or does it work on pre-lightning iPads & iPod Touches as well?

Does anybody know if the problem with the iPhone5 is because the 5 does digital video out only - or does it not do video out at all? I'm just wondering if with the iPhone 5 it is "simply" a matter of somebody developing a Lightning compatible Digital to Analog video converter or if the phone just is completely incapable of doing it...

Old 02-18-2013, 06:41 AM
pidge1114
Banned
Originally Posted by wickywack
I managed to get mirroring to work with DisplayOut 1.6.9, IOS 6.1.1, and an iPhone 4S.

Beyond Jailbreaking and installing DisplayOut, I had to do one other step to get it to work. When the iPhone is connected to the Mini, a hidden app called iPodOut.app is triggered. This app seems to take control of the TV-out and interfere with DisplayOut. By renaming it and rebooting, it's no longer launched when connected. Instead, DisplayOut mirroring works. :-)

To rename, I:

(1) Installed iFile from Cydia.
(2) Started iFile and navigated to /Applications
(3) Found iPodOut.app and clicked on the blue arrow to the right.
(4) The top line should read "Name iPodOut.app". Click on this and rename to "iPodOut.app$".
(5) Reboot.

Next time I connected to the Mini with DisplayOut enabled, my screen mirrored properly on the Mini Display. Note, the iPadOut.app is the one that shows the nice Apple TV like interface of your playlists, etc. That no longer works since I renamed it, but it was interfering with everything else.
Hmm, you had me going up until the part where you said that it affected the Apple TV-like interface. I really like that and dont want to lose it. Does that get affected in apps like Pandora?

Old 02-18-2013, 06:57 AM
ZaliZoe
2nd Gear
Today I received the chip from Germany and...it works (http://prochip.de/shop/index.php?pag...74d1689ffa1371)
You can mirror your iphone trough the external devices starting a video from the main menu.
It works while driving obviously.
The procedure is simple: you plug the chip into the obd port (close to the pedals),turn on ignition by inserting the key of the car, press green button on the chip and the system will reboot.
You can also go back to original doing the same procedure and pressing the red button on the chip.
Hope it's useful.
Ciao

Last edited by ZaliZoe; 02-18-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:39 AM
wickywack
1st Gear
No "Vehicle-in-Motion", etc. I got it working with just a jailbroken 4S and plugin mode on the car. I just had to rename iPodOut.app to iPodOut.app$.

It is a little finicky about starting to mirror but seems solid once it's begun mirroring. I have gotten it to mirror all 5 or 6 six times I've tried. Sometimes I re-activate the PlugIn from the car or disable/reenable DisplayOut.

No idea about the iPhone 5. Sorry!

Pidge, this is the iPodOut.app interface that I disabled:

This used to come up automatically when I plugged my phone and seemed to interface with DisplayOut. Since I moved that out of the way, I get the mirroring instead.

I just tried Pandora for the first time. With mirroring on plugin screen, I see the same image as on the phone - a connected to Mini image. Nothing useful. But, I can just exit the plugin mode (phone still plugged in) and run the Mini Pandora app from the car. I.e., this still works fine:

http://help.pandora.com/customer/por...ndora-and-mini

Not sure if I can play Pandora in the background and use Maps in the foreground. That does work with the regular music app, but Pandora seems to stop when it is in the background on the phone.

If you tried renaming iPodOut.app as I described, you *should* be able to rename it back to the original name with no problems. I'll try that myself when I get a chance just to verify.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Is it possible to mirror iPhone display to mini connected?