Navigation & Audio Audio upgrades, bluetooth, and navigation discussions surrounding the Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Navigation & Audio My Car Supposed to have satellite radio?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 07:53 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Car Supposed to have satellite radio?

I have a 2015 MCS with "audio system with am/fm radio, 6 speakers and auxiliary input" (wording on window sticker). Moreover, I have the base level sound system. My salesman responded when I inquired, "the car is not satellite radio ready, would need to be upgraded (a $600 cost) to use satellite radio." Anyway, my car came with a Sirius brochure in the glove box that said the car was satellite ready, including instructions and activation code (they probably just stick this in all cars). But, tried to activate and it was clear that my salesman was accurate (the on screen message needed to activate satellite radio was not present). However, when I did a bmw model archive / vin decoder to determine my vehicle's build date, I noticed a whole host of features that were included in my car (listing of standard and optional features). The list is consistent and accurate as far as I can tell.... but, the listing mentions under the optional equipment category "preparation bmw satellite radio". Does anyone know what this all means? Could my radio be satellite ready? Can the owner make the radio satellite ready or would the upgrade be a "dealer only" upgrade? Sorry for the long and detailed post.

Last edited by isleofbones; 03-07-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:19 AM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Yep, you have to pay a mini dealer to have the satellite radio activated. For what it's worth, I just cancelled my subscription as the sound quality was marginal..

Old 03-08-2015, 11:09 AM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
Thanks, maybe I'll just use Pandora with my auxiliary cable.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:23 AM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Received 517 Likes on 431 Posts
Sat Prep means you have the antenna, cabling and receiver. Its just not activated.
What I mean by that, is "BMW" activated.
You pay $375 for the activation code, and another $125 for the dealer to program the code.
After that you will see SAT on your radio display.
At that point you can then call SXM to activate service.

What I have done, is called SXM for an outboard receiver $49, (it was free for me , as I already had 2 cars activated) Installed a coax to the car's cabling junction at the kick panel, using the car's antenna.
SXM receiver mounted on a pro clip mount. Into the aux input.
I negotiated for $77 year service.

I have a write up here, do a search.

Old 03-08-2015, 02:51 PM
isleofbones
2nd Gear
Thanks again for making it clear what I have to do if I want satellite, either with the existing radio or an outboard receiver.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:38 AM
malsalah
2nd Gear
My 2008 Cooper S which I just took ownership 3 weeks ago, has a built in Nav System, Sattelite Radio, AM/FM...having issues with the Nav DVD, but my question here is about the Sattelite, on the Sticker/Dealer Invoice it does indicate the it's equipped with Sattelite Radio with a life time subscription (i guess for only first owner), however, I called Sirius and added the 3 months trail just to try it out, but I have no service still and I don't know how to do it, I called and Activated it, they supposedly sent me a signal, they asked for activation code which I got from the screen. so now I am not sure if I have sattelite or don't know what the heck am doing....any feedback is appreciated...Thank you

Old 04-23-2015, 08:44 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by malsalah
My 2008 Cooper S which I just took ownership 3 weeks ago, has a built in Nav System, Sattelite Radio, AM/FM...having issues with the Nav DVD, but my question here is about the Sattelite, on the Sticker/Dealer Invoice it does indicate the it's equipped with Sattelite Radio with a life time subscription (i guess for only first owner), however, I called Sirius and added the 3 months trail just to try it out, but I have no service still and I don't know how to do it, I called and Activated it, they supposedly sent me a signal, they asked for activation code which I got from the screen. so now I am not sure if I have sattelite or don't know what the heck am doing....any feedback is appreciated...Thank you
Since you have an activation code on the screen, your sat is active.
Call SXM back early AM, to get someone in the US that can do more than just send a refresh signal.

Old 04-24-2015, 05:05 AM
malsalah
2nd Gear
I called them the other day and I did speak with a technician "American" finally got someone on the line that knew what he doing, he made me do somethings trying to get it going, made me walk-a-way about 100 feet from the car with the key-fob in my hand , sent a signal then I came back to the car turn radio on, but no luck. Concluded that the satellite radio module might need a hard reset, and that is probably from switching ownership names. This is where am standing now, trying to locate this module in the car and see if I can do it myself "the reset". Maybe I will find it this weekend and get it started. Appreciate any help/tips on where I can find it....Thank you...Mark

Old 04-24-2015, 05:23 PM
TVPostSound
6th Gear
Originally Posted by malsalah
I called them the other day and I did speak with a technician "American" finally got someone on the line that knew what he doing, he made me do somethings trying to get it going, made me walk-a-way about 100 feet from the car with the key-fob in my hand , sent a signal then I came back to the car turn radio on, but no luck. Concluded that the satellite radio module might need a hard reset, and that is probably from switching ownership names. This is where am standing now, trying to locate this module in the car and see if I can do it myself "the reset". Maybe I will find it this weekend and get it started. Appreciate any help/tips on where I can find it....Thank you...Mark

Can you hear the test station on channel 1?

2008 Probably in a cubby under the passenger seat.
See if there is a hard plastic cover under the seat.

First thing to check is the antenna coax at that point, make sure its connected.

Disconnect he battery, unbolt the passenger seat, unplug the seat belt and air bag connectors, remove the lid, the module will be in a cubby.

Last edited by TVPostSound; 04-24-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-24-2015, 07:22 PM
malsalah
2nd Gear
i don't get channel 1, starts with channel 2, am I suppose to get channel 1? i disconnected the battery today, thought it might reset something, but that didn't work, the satellite started it's marathon acquiring of the signal. i found a box in the rear left panel, it's possible the satellite box...still searching for a solution.