Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Mini OEM Ipod Interface Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 02:57 AM
alistaircookie
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mini OEM Ipod Interface Installation

I just installed the OEM Mini Ipod Retrofit Interface Kit into my 2003 MCS, and I'm quite pleased with the result. I can now play and charge my ipod, while controlling it from the steering wheel.

While I doubt many people are still installing this kit into R53s these days, my experience might prove helpful to anyone who does.

Installation is pretty straight forward, although it was difficult to find decent instructions. In the end I relied on scattered bits of information obtained from the NAM forums and two separate sets of official Mini installation instructions (both are attached to this post).

The later Gen 3 instructions provide the luxury of actual text descriptions of what you're supposed to do. Meanwhile, the earlier instructions from 2005 have better diagrams, clearly showing the pin numbers of the wires to be moved in the harness grid.

Also, I found the earlier instructions had labeled the wire colors more correctly for my car. However, that's about all the early instructions have going for them, as they lack text and have only ambiguous symbols indicating what to do. So I suggest you refer to both sets of instructions.

I also suggest you disconnect the battery; or failing that, be especially fastidious about keeping loose wires apart. I inadvertently let a ground wire touch one of the live wires, and shorted a 15 amp fuse (which was easy enough to locate and replace in the driver's side kick panel).

I couldn't figure out, or feel, what part the instructions wanted me to secure the ipod interface box to; so I just sort of wedged it in there behind the climate controls as best I could. And instead of cutting a hole in the glove box, I just routed the cables down under the bottom panel of the center console.

The last step is to create playlists on the ipod. I cannot locate the ipod interface user's manual (which I once found online), so I'm including basic usage instructions.

The ipod interface can only read five playlists which must have names beginning with MINI1, MINI2, MINI3, MINI4, or MINI5. (You can add extra information to the names of each playlist, as long as they begin with a capitalized "MINI" followed by a number 1 through 5. For example, you could title a playlist "MINI3 - Rock Out".)

When you connect the ipod to the car adapter, the ipod's controls will be locked out and should show a Mini logo on the ipod's screen. You can control the ipod either from the radio console or the steering wheel controls. You simply cycle through the inputs until you get to the ipod. The radio display will show it as a six disc CD changer - discs 1 through 5 are your playlists; selecting disc 6 plays all songs on your ipod.

If you were listening to music on your ipod when you plugged it in to the car adapter, it will continue playing that selection and the radio will show CD 7. It will then continue playing songs in order, but you cannot then navigate your ipod (except to change to one of your playlists).

If you want to control your ipod manually, you are far better off installing the much cheaper and simpler AUX cable. I already had the AUX cable, and I appreciate the added convenience and safety of using the steering wheel controls with the ipod adapter.

I rarely use the AUX adapter now, but I left it in there just in case. (Yes, you can have both the ipod adapter and an AUX cable simultaneously installed.)

I hope this post proves helpful to someone in the future.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:37 PM
R52JCW
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the post, this was something I was thinking of tackling (2007 R52, but should be similar). A couple of questions. Where did you find the retrofit kit (not from Mini I hope)? And I didn't see any of the attachments, did something happen with the post?

Old 03-13-2015, 12:52 AM
alistaircookie
4th Gear
You're welcome, R52JCW.

I bought the kit used from a NAM member who had posted it in the marketplace. The kits come up cheaply on ebay from time to time, but often don't come with all the cables and clips (which are expensive to order from Mini).

I don't know what happened with the attachments and will try to attach them to this post. Let's see if it works this time.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MINI_Cooper_ipod_instructions.pdf (768.7 KB, 513 views)
File Type: pdf
NMI4405_ Gen3_INSTR.pdf (320.6 KB, 426 views)

Last edited by alistaircookie; 04-28-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 05:10 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 1,966 Likes on 1,766 Posts
Yep, thats the kit. This is the latest version. The older ones came with a white Ipod cable.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65110035964/

You can get that cable, module separately:

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65110035956/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65110035957/ES2675177/

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/65110411925/ES253505/

So you can still get some of the parts.

Congrats on the install.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-13-2015, 06:54 AM
R52JCW
1st Gear
Excellent help. Another question about functionality. Does the interface work the same with the latest generation devices (I.e. Lightning connected, iPhones etc.). It's not a huge concern as like many people I have old devices lying around, but just curious.

Old 03-13-2015, 07:58 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Welcome, don't know about that , get the 30 pin to lighting adapter from apple and give it a try , know it works on the older platforms listed.

Then let us know.

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 03-13-2015, 10:14 AM
alistaircookie
4th Gear
I'm using it with 160 gig ipod classic (which now resides in my car).

I presume lightning connected devices might work with the adapter, unless the file system is different.

Old 03-13-2015, 10:22 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Yea, classic works. But think its the newer software. Give it a try with the lightening / newer ipods and post up.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:20 AM
alistaircookie
4th Gear
I unfortunately don't have a newer apple device with lightning connector to test with. If I happen across a friend who does, I'll give it a try and report back.

Old 03-14-2015, 11:15 AM
R52JCW
1st Gear
That's a kind thought, but don't go out of your way for me. I have devices for both interfaces, if that is the way I decide to go. I've also thought about replacing the head unit, but I have the Harmon Kardon system and from what I've read on the forum, that's not a simple change which more than likely involves changing everything (and getting it done by a shop).

Add that to a recent trip to the auto show here in town and a chance to see all the new shiny Mini's and I'm perplexed. But that supercharger whine is so seductive.

And all that and I can't even drive mine yet as it's still in storage for the winter. Soon.

Thanks for the info.

Old 03-21-2015, 11:36 PM
SquamishDroc
2nd Gear
Another option that works pretty much the same way is the USASpec PA12 adapter. I had one in my BMW and moved it over to the Mini. It plugs into the cd changer wiring at the back of the car, so it won't work if you don't have the plugs back there.

http://usaspec.com/product.php?Produ...eShowProduct=1

Old 03-22-2015, 07:46 AM
R52JCW
1st Gear
Would the CD plug be obvious at the back of the car, or is it hidden? (Don't remember anything back there, car is still in storage but can check later in the week). Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 03-22-2015, 12:24 PM
SquamishDroc
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by R52JCW
Would the CD plug be obvious at the back of the car, or is it hidden? (Don't remember anything back there, car is still in storage but can check later in the week). Thanks for the suggestion.
they are in the right rear storage bin, here you can see them plugged into the adapter i have.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Catch_Me
2nd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
With a adapter to the lightning from 30-pin it works fine, I've been using it that way for about a year and never had a problem.

Old 03-24-2015, 07:40 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Thanks for the info so then the V3 old iPod kits works with the newer iPods with the additional lightning pin to 30 pin.

Old 12-29-2016, 05:42 PM
scottyb043
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Anyone connected an older iPhone to this kit to use as an iPod?

I've got several old phones kicking around that I could use rather than buying another iPod.

Thanks Fellas.

Old 12-30-2016, 08:48 AM
scottyb043
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by alistaircookie
The last step is to create playlists on the ipod. I cannot locate the ipod interface user's manual (which I once found online), so I'm including basic usage instructions.

The ipod interface can only read five playlists which must have names beginning with MINI1, MINI2, MINI3, MINI4, or MINI5. (You can add extra information to the names of each playlist, as long as they begin with a capitalized "MINI" followed by a number 1 through 5. For example, you could title a playlist "MINI3 - Rock Out".)

When you connect the ipod to the car adapter, the ipod's controls will be locked out and should show a Mini logo on the ipod's screen. You can control the ipod either from the radio console or the steering wheel controls. You simply cycle through the inputs until you get to the ipod. The radio display will show it as a six disc CD changer - discs 1 through 5 are your playlists; selecting disc 6 plays all songs on your ipod.

If you were listening to music on your ipod when you plugged it in to the car adapter, it will continue playing that selection and the radio will show CD 7. It will then continue playing songs in order, but you cannot then navigate your ipod (except to change to one of your playlists).
Page 16 in this document describes the operations; albeit for a BMW, so substitute "MINI" where applicable.

http://www.bmwmotorsports.org/pdf/au...ers_Manual.pdf

Old 12-30-2016, 08:57 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Have not tested the newer phone, but the older 30 pins should work unless the update are past the date where the firmware does not work. Somone posted up the 30p pin to l lightning, so its worth a try on what you have.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:44 PM
jpwins
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scottyb043
Anyone connected an older iPhone to this kit to use as an iPod?

I've got several old phones kicking around that I could use rather than buying another iPod.

Thanks Fellas.
Hi, I have used the apple adaptor and connected my iPhone 7plus to my OEM mini iPod connector and it works. The one thing I notice that while i have my older iPod connected, it doesn't charge like the original poster says thats when I attach my phone when the iPod dies. Uses the same mini1,mini2 and works with the interface on my steering wheel.

Old 08-04-2022, 06:41 PM
Onizukachan
4th Gear
Received 352 Likes on 222 Posts
This is old but for those that run across this when diagnosing issues with their OEM mini adapter, There were changes to pin outs on 30 pin meaning later 30 pins look for charge on only one pin instead of 2-3 of them. … and it was one which previously nearly no adapter or stereo company had ever ever used.( Edit: I remembered the details. Early units had both USB 5v and FireWire charging, ie 12v, so car manufacturers just put +12 to to that pin, , later apples went to 5v charging only. ) Scoche made a device called passport that was a small charging adapter the same size as the 30 pin connector itself, like an adapter head, which moved the charge over to the pin later devices (and apparently the 30 pin to lightning adapter) expected it to be on. They are of course as defunct as the 30 pin but that is what you have to find if you get no charge or charging not supported message.

had that issue with my alpine iPod adapter in my 92 e34 wagon and iPod nano 4 iirc. And just confirmed it with an iPod touch and the OEM mini kit in the new r53. Sadly while it works on the radio side, it has no audio and since can’t get the 30 pin cable to test if that the culprit, it may wind up scrapped for something newer.

Last edited by Onizukachan; 08-05-2022 at 10:52 AM.
Old 08-05-2022, 07:11 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Update on my older post: I used the 30 pin to lighting for my R58 aka R55-R61 Y cable platform and it did not like it, you have to get the Y cable in lighting. Have not tested the older R50-R53 System but thats what i found.