Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio GTA Car kit harness connection help?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 02:20 PM
Joewp
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GTA Car kit harness connection help?

Hey All,

So yesterday I installed a gta car kit in my 04 R50. About a year and a half ago I installed one on my 04 Honda Accord, piece of cake! Much less technology in that car though... No steering wheel controls, and no ability to show track names on the radio face.

Anyway, I'm having an issue that I see many people are having, which is getting a good solid connection. First, after I installed it, I realized that only the Front Right and Rear Left speakers were putting out sound, pulled it, re-did it, it works as it's supposed to most of the time (as a CD changer / Wheel controls) then sometimes it doesn't. There is also a volume surge at times, but that is rare.

When I try to get the Mini's harness connected to the GTA harness, one side clips in perfectly, the other does not. It's kind of like the clip is missing the nipple on the GTA harness, or something. The GTA harness fits perfectly into the car stereo.

I have emailed GTA, but it is a weekend, and haven't heard back, which is totally fine. I don't want to strip the wires and solder everything together, that would be a nightmare, any suggestions from anyone who has had this problem?

Also, I'm noticing a high pitched motor noise, which was present with the GTA kit in my Honda, but I never really thought about it. Any suggestions on how to ground or shield this?

Thanks for the help!
Joe

Old 03-03-2013, 08:02 AM
jonas.sjogren
Neutral
Please give me a solution to this problem. It causes electrical problems in the car.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:15 PM
Joewp
2nd Gear
I've not noticed any electrical issues with it yet.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:02 PM
chtrich
1st Gear
I've fixed an electrical problem with my GTA kit. It was causing the the battery to drain completely if the car sat for 24 hours. Let me know if you're experiencing something similar and i can help you out.

As for the sound issue, I'd remove the original CD changer plug (white plug on left side of harness coming from car) and re-seat it. maybe jiggle the wires a bit. That fixed my issue when sounds was only coming from one side.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 PM
donharrisiii
Neutral
Hi Joe, I had the exact same problem with my 2003 mini base. I actually found that the wiring harness that is part of the mini (not the GTA part and not the radio) had TWO separate sections in the back where the wires went in. One little plug is held in the larger piece by a little plastic clip. That was protruding into the space where the GTA piece plugged in. AFter i received my SECOND unit from GTA I was able to figure this out. I simply broke the little "clip" piece off after I had removed the "small 4 wire "plug" from the larger plug in piece. Once I had snapped that off I actually pulled the insert out from the larger piece. I also removed the two "locking cams" that were on the side at the suggestion from the folks at GTA. I was then able to plug the remaining piece into the GTA socket. Then I pushed the smaller 4 wire piece that I had removed back into the larger Mini harness from the back, and it went in.

I was then able to snug the whole thing in without the use of the little cam locks I had removed and it actually worked great. However, I have had the same issue you noted with the volume surging. I also have some irregularities with my i phones ( I have two.... a 4s and a 3. When I plug in the phone to the adapter wires, funny things happen. However both of my Ipods work perfectly with no issues at all.

Is the surging volume thing going to last forever, or does it go away?

Good luck with your install. BTW let me know if this was any help to you.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Joewp
2nd Gear
Hey Don,

Thanks for the info. What I ended up doing was pulling the "Locking Cams" from the mini harness and made a snug connection, then added some duct tape and electrical tape. That got rid of the volume surging and the channel drop outs. However, it did not get rid of the problem that my iPod Classic (6th Gen) was too hot when plugged into the harness (distortion on certain songs, the iPod's EQ did not help this) I wound up sending it back and should be getting a replacement tomorrow.

I really like the guys at GTA, great customer service, and quick responses to emails, plus they are coming out with a bluetooth dongle soon for the car kit which I'm excited about, so I'll certainly give them another chance.

Old 03-16-2013, 06:42 PM
Joewp
2nd Gear
Well, I got the new kit today, and I do believe my last one was defective. I could tell instantly the sound and functionality were improved. These things happen, and GTA were top notch about replacing it quickly! I did again remove the clip from the mini harness, as it just seems warped and not able to make a good connection.

I also secured the Car Kit piece to the top of the drop down panel under the steering column, as that just seemed like a better idea than running everything behind the climate controls. It still gives me more than enough cable for my iPod to run behind the radio/stereo controls, and when they release the bluetooth dongle, I won't have to pull everything apart to install it. While I had the pillars off beside the radio, I put some dynamat in them, and will probably do the same with the panel under the steering column. Hopefully all is well, and any issues I was having are cured. I'm quite fond of GTA as a company and think they make a great product.

Old 05-19-2014, 04:03 AM
debayo
Neutral
battery drains after a long time with gta car kit

Hello,
I'm having the same issue u had with the battery running flat after a while of not being in use with a gta car kit installed. I own a Toyota Camry 02.
How did you solve this problem?

Old 09-14-2017, 02:21 PM
Aslay
Neutral
I am having the the battery drain issue - if you could let me know how you fixed it I would really appreciate that!

Originally Posted by chtrich
I've fixed an electrical problem with my GTA kit. It was causing the the battery to drain completely if the car sat for 24 hours. Let me know if you're experiencing something similar and i can help you out.

As for the sound issue, I'd remove the original CD changer plug (white plug on left side of harness coming from car) and re-seat it. maybe jiggle the wires a bit. That fixed my issue when sounds was only coming from one side.

Old 04-30-2018, 10:32 AM
Hdillow
Neutral
Originally Posted by chtrich

I’m experiencing the same battery drain issue with my 2008 Toyota 4Runner. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!