Navigation & Audio Bring your GPS and favorite CD or MP3. This is where navigation and audio options for the Cooper (R50), Cabrio (R52), and Cooper S (R53) MINIs are discussed.

Navigation & Audio Stereo turns on, no sound from any speakers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:07 PM
LTWagg
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo turns on, no sound from any speakers...

Hi! I have a 2003 Mini Cooper and it has the stereo that came with the car-- it was working fine, then yestersday I turn it on, it lights up, everything appears to be working, it displays that I am listenting to a CD, but no sound came out of any of the speakers. Not even a light static-- nothing. Completely dead. Has anyone had this problem and know the solution? Could it be a fuse? Do I need to take this to the dealer? They can be so expensive and I am no longer under warranty. Suggestions please! Thank you.

Old 02-16-2008, 06:08 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you have the H/K upgrade?

Old 02-16-2008, 08:24 PM
CupOJoe
1st Gear
Funny - A few days ago, I started the car and the radio was not producing sound. I could change stations, play a CD, etc... just no audio - not even static or hiss as I pushed the volume to the limit. After several confused minutes, I turned the radio off and back on and then it was then fine. I have a H/K system in a 2007 Cabrio and this is the first and only time it has acted up so far.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:39 AM
LTWagg
1st Gear
Interesting-- that is exactly my problem, but it hasn't changed! Do you recommend a place to take my car to get looked at? I feel like a mechanic wouldn't really know what to do about a stereo. And I know the dealer will be so expensive. I have an astro black car too! That is the color of the paint at least-- I am not sure if that is what you mean! I am very new to all of this... thanks!

Old 02-17-2008, 08:46 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
Try taking it to a local stereo shop and have them check it out. It shouldn't cost too much and they should know what to look for and would be able to fix it... or tellyou what youneed to replace.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:06 AM
golden_child
Coordinator :: Capital Area MINI Modders
Originally Posted by GBMINI
Do you have the H/K upgrade?
LTWagg--

Do you have the H/K upgrade? If you do, the answer could be your amp.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:28 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
That's what I'm thinking. I'm sure a stereo shop could check it out for 20 bux and let you know exactly the problem before you spend a ton of cash at the dealer to tell you the same thing.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:51 AM
LTWagg
1st Gear
Okay, thanks-- I am not sure what the h/k upgrade is, I will look on my owners manual, I just know it is the stereo that came with my mini, but maybe it is upgraded, I will look...

Old 02-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Darkness
5th Gear
Look at the speaker in the bottom corner of your front door; does the grill say "harman/kardon" on it? If it does then you have the H/K upgrade. If not, then it's the stock stereo.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:04 PM
LTWagg
1st Gear
Ah, I do have that! Yes, it says Harmon Kardon on the speaker. So, this makes it more likely that it could be the amp?

Old 02-17-2008, 01:03 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
Yeah, it sounds like the amp is dead.

You can get a replacement from the dealer, and it's not hard to switch out, but i've heard a replacement amp is very expensive (someone else will have to give you a $ figure).

Old 02-17-2008, 01:37 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
I think the H/K has it's own fuse ... but sadly most H/K problems turn out to be the amp itself

Old 02-17-2008, 02:47 PM
LTWagg
1st Gear
I just took it to a stereo installation place at Circiut City, the guy didn't even look at the wires and said it was definitely the amp, but then tried to sell me a new stereo. I like my stereo... so I am waiting to talk to my dealer or someone who deals with mini stereo systems. I am still hoping it's just a fuse... but I doubt it. :-(

Old 02-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
Get a second opinion. If he didn't look at it, he was taking advantage of the situation and was just trying to push a new stereo on you because they are on 100% commission. I suggest to take it to a actual stereo store that specializes only in car stereos (not best buy, circuit, etc) and ask them to check it out. Not give you their opinion on the problem, actually go out there, pull the panel off, and put a meter on the amp to see if it's putting anything out. It could be as simple as a fuse, loose wire, or a short. A small fee for them to check it out could save you alot in the end.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:30 PM
LTWagg
1st Gear
That is very good advice-- thank you. I will look for a car stereo place.

Old 02-18-2008, 11:03 AM
LTWagg
1st Gear
And one last question-- anyone know of a good car audio/stero repair in the Los Angeles area? Thanks!

Old 02-18-2008, 12:56 PM
countrym
6th Gear
This is really weird. I just got on the site to post about the exact same problem.

I have a 2004 MCS with the HK upgrade. Yesterday I got in the car, and had the same thing happen with my stereo. The display lights up as if the stereo is working, but no sound comes out.

I've also noticed that if I cycle through the options by pressing on the key with the note on it, I no longer get the option to change the equalizer setting that I used to get.

I don't know if the head unit is dead or if there's something I can do. I tried disconnecting the battery to see if that made a difference but it didn't.

Old 02-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Darkness
5th Gear
My H/K has given me the only problems with my mini.

7 times i went in to get the door panels to stop rattling (finally resolved with new panels, not really h/k's fault... probably just lemon door panels)

I took it in because the sound was crackling after that...
dealer replaced the head unit because it was putting a bad signal out
dealer replaced the amp becuase it wasn't putting out the right power
dealer replaced the left passenger woofer which was blown, probably because of the above.
It was fixed after that.

It's got isssues. If you're under warranty, the dealer can and will fix it. If not, it's probably cheaper to gut the whole system and replace it with something else. I've felt my sound from it has been kinda flat and lacks life, so next year I might go beserk with an aftermarket setup.

countrym, I recommend the same thing; go to the dealer and get it checked out under warranty, if not, go to a reputable stereo store and let them see (there should only be a small fee, and it would be much cheaper than the dealer for them to check it out). Don't let them push a new stereo on you. Make sure they go out, pull panels off, and actually check the components. It could be a fuse, loose wire, short, or worse (blown amp, headunit, etc.) They'll give you the run down and your available options, then it's up to youto decide to go to the dealer and have things replaced fixed, or have the stereo store replace things. If you're not sure, go somewhere else.

I say all this because when I had a huge stereo in my old car I replaced the rear speakers one day and no sound was coming out afterwards. All I did was switch them out! Connections were good and nothing else was changed. I paid a store $20 to investigate, and it turns out i turned the gain down on amp for whatever reason and I forgot. They didn't charge me because I was so embarrased, but what I did learn in car stereos, through my experience in that car, it is that its always something stupidly simple that you overlooked. $20 for a pro to look at it could save you spending $250 heat unit, or worse a $1000 amp.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:12 PM
LTWagg
1st Gear
Hi everyone-- so it turns out it IS the amp. Ugh. But I am faced with a dilemma, should I just replace it (dealer says it's $795 and $200 installation fee) or get a new system which I have gotten a few quotes and anything decent would be about $1,200 (not even new speakers)?

I liked my system, and I felt it had very good sound. But the audio people keep telling me a new amp could die anyway after spending all that money on it.

Plus my car now that it is out of warranty is having all kinds of problems (door lock actuator broken, just got a new clutch, new brake pads)-- I am wondering if it's time for a new Mini?

Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 PM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Yes?

A new amp is expensive. But it's the simplest answer to your problem.

An aftermarket system can be VERY good if done well by a good company - but it can also be a nightmare if not done well.

If you're serious about a new MINI, then maybe do nothing at all ... I doubt your trade-in would be hit by full $1000 if the radio is silent. But don't forget the stock R56 stereo is much worse than even the basic pre'07 stereo, and the HiFi upgrade is generally rated less good than the H/K.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:57 AM
fribble
Neutral
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Hi all,[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial] [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Just thought I’d share my experience, I have a 04 cooper with the HK. The radio was still working but the HK settings were lost in the head unit and there was no sound coming out of the speakers so I concluded it was the amp.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]I wrote to the Mini UK Customer Services manager, Simon Anderson ([/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/bfreeman/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msohtml1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]simon.anderson@bmw.co.uk)[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial], citing I believed the problem was inherent and that it should be replaced for free. He denied this and asked for me to take it to my dealer and once diagnosed ask for a goodwill gesture towards fixing it. I did, they diagnosed that it was the Amp and said that would be 700 quid to fix (160 diagnosis fee, 410 for the amp and 90 for fitting plus VAT). I then asked for goodwill and, after fighting to not to have to pay the diagnosis fee because I approached Simon knowing what the problem was, got it for 160 inc vat which was 20% of the price of the amp plus half an hour fitting. I also had to contact their customer service department a bunch because getting through to Simon direct was challenging. The BMW head office number is 01344 426565, ask for him and they will put you through. FYI the goodwill was, in part I was told, based on the fact that I’d had a ‘real’ bmw dealer service my car. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]It still annoys me that I had to pay anything as there clearly is a problem but c’est la vie. If anyone has managed to get this for free from BMW I’d be interested to know.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Good luck[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Regards[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Arial]Ben[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 11-06-2009, 03:58 AM
fribble
Neutral
Hi all,

Just thought I’d share my experience, I have a 04 cooper with the HK. The radio was still working but the HK settings were lost in the head unit and there was no sound coming out of the speakers so I concluded it was the amp.

I wrote to the Mini UK Customer Services manager, Simon Anderson (simon.anderson@bmw.co.uk), citing I believed the problem was inherent and that it should be replaced for free. He denied this and asked for me to take it to my dealer and once diagnosed ask for a goodwill gesture towards fixing it. I did, they diagnosed that it was the Amp and said that would be 700 quid to fix (160 diagnosis fee, 410 for the amp and 90 for fitting plus VAT). I then asked for goodwill and, after fighting to not to have to pay the diagnosis fee because I approached Simon knowing what the problem was, got it for 160 inc vat which was 20% of the price of the amp plus half an hour fitting. I also had to contact their customer service department a bunch because getting through to Simon direct was challenging. The BMW head office number is 01344 426565, ask for him and they will put you through. FYI the goodwill was, in part I was told, based on the fact that I’d had a ‘real’ bmw dealer service my car.

It still annoys me that I had to pay anything as there clearly is a problem but c’est la vie. If anyone has managed to get this for free from BMW I’d be interested to know.

Good luck

Regards

Ben

Last edited by fribble; 11-06-2009 at 03:59 AM. Reason: strange formating first time
Old 11-06-2009, 03:07 PM
Philip Rushing
2nd Gear
Screwed, blue'd and tatoo'd

Welcome to the club, bud. You will NOT get anyone to repair the amp, H/K will give you ZERO support (except to point you toward MINI), MINI will give you ZERO support (except to try to sell you a new amp)
The amp has some sort of microprocessor that scares the bejeesus out of repair facilities. I have sent mine to 2 places that said sure they can fix it, sent it back saying they couldn't fix it. BCelectronics in PA (think that's the name) says on their website they repair "all MINI amps". They don't.

Right now mine is off to a guy in Phoenix that likes to tinker on stuff. No promises but he said maybe he'll learn something.
There is a thread here somewhere, I just posted on it yesterday, a dialogue between Liquidyellow and Coopercooper I think was their names. They are perfecting an alternate amp setup that will allow H/K HU functionality. Do a search on google "MINI H/K AMP repair, maybe you can find it the same way I did. Good luck.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:13 PM
Lessence
1st Gear
Swapped out the amp. Still no sound........ damn. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Old 11-13-2009, 05:54 AM
GBMINI
6th Gear
Might be good news; you're left with easier things to solve like fuses, wiring, maybe the HU.
If the H/K mode displays are not visible in the HU, then it's going to be power to the H/K amp, or that the iBus is not connected between the amp and the HU.

Quick Reply: Navigation & Audio Stereo turns on, no sound from any speakers...