JCW Thinking of doing some exterior mods, looking for advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 07:28 AM
1chaos52
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thinking of doing some exterior mods, looking for advice

So after finally getting a chance to really drive the new JCW during Minis in Foliage this past weekend, I have been thinking about some appearance/other mods to the car.

One thing I have always had on my past Minis is the mud flaps. While they did not cure the problems that we all have with dust and dirt on the boot, it did help. After cleaning my car on Monday, I drove it for a total of about 4 miles yesterday and the boot was already dusty (California duster to the rescue) and it got me thinking. I would like to possibly look into some of the JCW Pro parts to see if they would help with that.

JCW Pro Rear Diffuser: Expensive I know, but I like the looks of it and I have heard that it can really help with the dust issues on the boot. Has anyone had this put on and have any comments? Has anyone put this on themselves and, if so, what is the difficulty level?

JCW Pro Front Splitter: This is strictly for the looks as I think it really makes the front end look nicer. Only question here is on install difficulty?

JCW Pro Spoiler Extensions: Not sure if these have any effect on the dust although someone told me that there was a lip for the old spoilers that did help to some extent. Due to prices, This would be a nice first step. Do like the looks of them as well, and obviously, fitting them is simple.

Mud flaps: Can anyone actually confirm whether or not the regular ones will fit on the JCW. Has anyone tried to fit them? Maybe just some trimming involved? Interested more for protecting the sides of the car with the fronts, but I know those have been a problem on earlier models.

Thanks in advance for any advice and thoughts that you can provide.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:04 AM
caiken
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't realize that the boot dirt was more than just my problem. Gets crazy dirty.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:33 AM
1chaos52
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by caiken
I didn't realize that the boot dirt was more than just my problem. Gets crazy dirty.
It is a general problem with Minis and a lot of other hatches. The air kind of balloons behind the car as you drive along with any dirt or dust that may come up from the road and instantly coats the car with dirt. Drives me insane, so looking to minimize it as much as possible.

With that said, the California Duster is a great tool that I have been using for years on my car. If it is just surface dust, you just wipe it with the duster and it has some parrafin wax in it that attracts the dust into the brush. Have never had a problem with scratches or swirl marks using it, so it stays in the boot so I can give the car a quick cleaning when I need to.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:31 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
haven't tried to put the mud flaps on the JCW kit, but know they have helped keep it clean in the past.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/mud-fla...i-hardtop.html

The diffuser kit does look great.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/john-co...fuser-f56.html

the front splitters are nice, just hate the cost
http://www.waymotorworks.com/john-co...nsion-f56.html

I'd wait on the spoiler parts as there will be more options coming out for that.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-15-2015, 01:04 PM
1chaos52
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
haven't tried to put the mud flaps on the JCW kit, but know they have helped keep it clean in the past.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/mud-fla...i-hardtop.html

The diffuser kit does look great.
http://www.waymotorworks.com/john-co...fuser-f56.html

the front splitters are nice, just hate the cost
http://www.waymotorworks.com/john-co...nsion-f56.html

I'd wait on the spoiler parts as there will be more options coming out for that.
There are two model numbers for the diffuser kit, 51192339046 and 51192339047. I believe one is for PDC and the other is for without. Which one is which?

Old 10-15-2015, 01:25 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
According to RealOEM, the non-PDC is #51192339047, and the cars with PDC is #51192339046

Old 10-22-2015, 11:15 AM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Anyone know if the Pro Front Splitter (51192339038) is available for cars with PDC (park distance control)?
I know the rear is as Ryan has pointed out.

Last edited by GregoryK; 10-22-2015 at 11:20 AM.
Old 10-22-2015, 03:56 PM
Jas0n
1st Gear
Originally Posted by GregoryK
Anyone know if the Pro Front Splitter (51192339038) is available for cars with PDC (park distance control)? I know the rear is as Ryan has pointed out.
Unfortunately not. When I took delivery I had the front and rears ready to install at the dealer. They called me to inform there was no way of installing the front splitters because there was nowhere to mount the sensors. In the end I had to settle for the rear only. Not a big deal as it's the rear that really makes the difference in looks.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:03 PM
GregoryK
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Jas0n
Unfortunately not. When I took delivery I had the front and rears ready to install at the dealer. They called me to inform there was no way of installing the front splitters because there was nowhere to mount the sensors. In the end I had to settle for the rear only. Not a big deal as it's the rear that really makes the difference in looks.
Then again that is the dealer talking. There are Lego blocks and then there is a drill and glue.
I bet there is a way.
I'll report back once I've seen them side by side......

Old 10-26-2015, 08:33 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
I'm a bit confused. When I read your description of the rear diffuser it says:

John Cooper Works Diffuser for 2014+ F56 MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works Rear Aero Bumper.

Now my Mini is a JCW not an S. Is there any reason this will not work with my car?

Old 10-26-2015, 08:12 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Originally Posted by papawhiskey
I'm a bit confused. When I read your description of the rear diffuser it says:

John Cooper Works Diffuser for 2014+ F56 MINI Cooper S with John Cooper Works Rear Aero Bumper.

Now my Mini is a JCW not an S. Is there any reason this will not work with my car?

If it doesn't have the JCW rear bumper it won't fit.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 10-27-2015, 07:00 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
If it doesn't have the JCW rear bumper it won't fit.
So, I guess the question then is: Does a 2016 Mini Cooper, John Cooper Works model, direct from the dealer have a JCW rear bumper?

When I look at the shape of the rear diffuser on my car it surely looks like this should fit right in there, but this thing is a bit of coin to be experimenting with. A little reassurance would be appreciated.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:00 AM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
My understanding is that ALL JCWs come with the aero kit as standard. If you look at the Configurator there is not an option for it when you build, but there is for the Cooper S.

Old 10-27-2015, 11:18 AM
SCoopa
1st Gear
So, I guess the question then is: Does a 2016 Mini Cooper, John Cooper Works model, direct from the dealer have a JCW rear bumper?

When I look at the shape of the rear diffuser on my car it surely looks like this should fit right in there, but this thing is a bit of coin to be experimenting with. A little reassurance would be appreciated.
JCW Body Kit (factory JCW car) is different than the JCW "Aero" Kit offered as an add-on for the F56. The JCW Pro Rear Diffuser fits the "JCW" Factory car.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:31 PM
Jb16
1st Gear
Not an external mod but is the horn easily accessible on this car? Thinking of replacing it. Thanks.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:13 PM
TheGeekGuy
4th Gear
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by SCoopa
JCW Body Kit (factory JCW car) is different than the JCW "Aero" Kit offered as an add-on for the F56. The JCW Pro Rear Diffuser fits the "JCW" Factory car.

Side by side of the rear. Looks the same to me.

Old 10-27-2015, 02:26 PM
SCoopa
1st Gear
Originally Posted by TheGeekGuy

Side by side of the rear. Looks the same to me.
Hmm, maybe the rear is identical, the front is not for sure though.

Just looked at the builder on both, lighter color though to see better ... You're right, they do seem to be identical

Old 10-27-2015, 03:57 PM
papawhiskey
4th Gear

Originally Posted by SCoopa
Hmm, maybe the rear is identical, the front is not for sure though.

Just looked at the builder on both, lighter color though to see better ... You're right, they do seem to be identical
No, they are not the same in the rear. I can see where the S (below) will need the bumper to use the Pro Diffuser and now I can see too that my JCW (above) can use the diffuser by itself.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:21 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
If you have a Cooper S specifically with the JCW exterior package, then yes, it's identical to the factory JCW bumpers, front and rear. The only difference is the factory JCW can't have front fog lights.

If you have a factory JCW, then of course you have the JCW bumpers, and thus the accessory JCW Pro diffuser is applicable.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:51 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
If this is the bumper you have then you can install it.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:15 AM
SCoopa
1st Gear
If this is the bumper you have then you can install it.

And to reiterate, that bumper comes on BOTH the JCW Factory car and the JCW "Aero" kit add-on (if you are adding it to the F56 Cooper S), should you spec the car with that kit.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:39 PM
RDSJCW
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Front & rear JCW aero kit added to a JCW.

Attached Thumbnails Thinking of doing some exterior mods, looking for advice-img_2805.jpg   Thinking of doing some exterior mods, looking for advice-img_2808.jpg   Thinking of doing some exterior mods, looking for advice-img_2804.jpg  
Old 10-30-2015, 08:51 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by RDSJCW
Very nice!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 10-30-2015, 11:58 AM
papawhiskey
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RDSJCW
Sweet. I like how it protrudes a bit more in the back and since I have white-silver the added visible contrast is a plus. This one's on my list.

Not sure I see much difference in the front. Is it the lower lip protrudes more than the stock?

Old 10-30-2015, 01:06 PM
RDSJCW
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes the front JCW Pro unit has a nice air splitter /curved lip that is lower and protrudes out father.

The standard one just curves under the car with no lip.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: JCW Thinking of doing some exterior mods, looking for advice