JCW Garage Interested in John Cooper Works (JCW) parts for your 2nd Generation MINI? This is where JCW upgrades and accessories for the MINI Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs are discussed.

JCW K&N air filters for JCW................

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 06:54 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
K&N air filters for JCW................

I used K&N air filters on previous cars and I have been very happy with the results. They improved performance and fuel economy even on my classic 240Z.

Any comment how they may improve performance on a Mini?

Old 12-11-2014, 07:12 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
I would not recommend using an air filter which uses oil as a medium for filtering the air in a MINI equipped with Hot Film Air Mass meter component. That would include the R5X S and non S models.

Inevitably the oil from the filter makes it's way down stream to the wire, coats it with a shellack like substance destroying the rather expensive part. ( appx $500.00 )

Old 12-17-2014, 05:16 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
I would not recommend using an air filter which uses oil as a medium for filtering the air in a MINI equipped with Hot Film Air Mass meter component. That would include the R5X S and non S models.

Inevitably the oil from the filter makes it's way down stream to the wire, coats it with a shellack like substance destroying the rather expensive part. ( appx $500.00 )
I would like to know more about what you think. Did you use K&N filters before?

Do you have concerns because the engine runs too hot?

Old 12-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Zillon
5th Gear
Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Any issues that arise from running an oiled filter usually result from the end user applying too much oil to the filter.

I've run K&N filters on my vehicles for years with no adverse effects on the MAF.

Old 12-17-2014, 05:33 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
In an R53, yes had one in mine.

But for R56's, seen at least two I know of personally who's owners both had K&N's in their R56S and in both cases it was damage to the wire from the oil in air filters.

Other auto manufacturers which have MAF wire equipped cars get around this by having an automatic heat cycle for the wire when the car is shut down. The wire automatically heats up to 2000* burning off impurities which may get on the wire during engine operation, leaving it clean for next start up.

Unfortunately the MINI system does not heat up burning off these contaminates leading to buildup and consequential permanent damage.

One could say that maybe the owners of these MINI's just used too much oil on the air filter themselves - hence, "operator error". K&N's instructional / method of dripping oil on the filter after cleaning is a bit ambiguous and vague on how much to use leaving too much room for personal judgment and error IMO. That said, with a $500 part in the balance why take the chance when there are free flowing air filters available out there which don't use oil at all....

Old 12-17-2014, 05:50 PM
dube53
6th Gear
Originally Posted by -=gRay rAvEn=-
In an R53, yes had one in mine.

But for R56's, seen at least two I know of personally who's owners both had K&N's in their R56S and in both cases it was damage to the wire from the oil in air filters.

Other auto manufacturers which have MAF wire equipped cars get around this by having an automatic heat cycle for the wire when the car is shut down. The wire automatically heats up to 2000* burning off impurities which may get on the wire during engine operation, leaving it clean for next start up.

Unfortunately the MINI system does not heat up burning off these contaminates leading to buildup and consequential permanent damage.

One could say that maybe the owners of these MINI's just used too much oil on the air filter themselves - hence, "operator error". K&N's instructional / method of dripping oil on the filter after cleaning is a bit ambiguous and vague on how much to use leaving too much room for personal judgment and error IMO. That said, with a $500 part in the balance why take the chance when there are free flowing air filters available out there which don't use oil at all....
Thanks, you answered all my questions.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:51 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
I've used K&N filters many times before.

But with the MAF I don't like the oil getting in the sensors. So I've been using the Dry Filters and see no loss in performance. So I only recommend them now.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more
Old 12-19-2014, 09:38 PM
fastfour
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
49k on my old 2011 R56S and 7k on the 2014 JCW clubman...all with a K&N and 0 problems.