MINI Cooper MINI Cooper specs

Go Back   North American Motoring > 2nd Generation MINIs > Modifications > How to
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to North American Motoring !
Welcome to North American Motoring,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Gallery
Interior/Exterior :: Mirror Cap Removal/Replacement R55/R56

There is MUCH debate out there in regards to removing the mirror caps on an R55 and R56. There is an EASY way to remove them WITHOUT breaking any clips nor the mirror itself. Once you pop the first one off, you will be a PRO at removing them. It is so easy...a caveman can do it!!

Tools you will need...
Blanket
Plastic tool to get behind the mirror cap. (I used a pampered chef scraper from the kitchen) You can find them on Ebay by searching "pampered chef scraper" (DO NOT USE METAL or you risk scratches. Its a thin HARD piece of Plastic

See picture of the TOOL I used below

Click the image to open in full size.

Place the Blanket on the ground below the mirror you are working on. (this is just in case the mirror cap pops off and falls to the ground.

Stand in front of the mirror with the Glass Mirror facing AWAY from you (you will use your body/leg to hold the cap from popping off.

Insert your PLASTIC tool between the cap and the mirror body like below. Slide it in towards the outside of the mirror like shown. Pry the cap back towards you. Once you can pry it back a little, hold it with your fingers and remove the tool.

Now slide the tool to the inside like shown below and push and pry back until you hear the clips release. The cap will most likely pop off, if not pry around the sides.

DONT TUG...GENTLY try to release with your tool and by pulling EASY.

BINGO...your cap should be off the car.

NOW, to replace it or change it out...

Simply, put it back on. I find it easiest to seat the outside edge and work back towards the car. Click in the bottom, then Click the top in.

It's just THAT easy!!!

NOW, SHOW US YOUR NEW LOOK!!
2010 MCCSa JCW Stage 1, Chili Red/Blk, Picked up 1-16-2010, Premium, Convenience, Cold Weather, Carbon Leather, Rooster Red, Chrome Interior, JCW Aero Kit, JCW Carbon Fiber Scoop, JCW Strut Bar, JCW Scuttles, Carbon Fiber Mirrors, Viper Stripes, Black Driving Lights, DRAG DR-34 17", 215-45-17 Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport, Remus Racing SportExhaust, H-Sport Rear Sway

Last edited by slimjimtell; 02-21-2010 at 08:08 AM.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:06 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to iwashmycar
Gallery
excellent. thank you
Old 02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gallery
good to know.

want to trade your black ones for my red ones?
2009 MCCS JCW Stage 1 (tuning kit). CR/CR w/ Roof Rails, Cold + Premium Packages! Park Distance Control, Black Sport Stripes, Piano Black interior, Rooster Red color line, Alpine retrofit kit w/ BOSS subwoofer in rear wheel well. Born Nov 13 2008 (week 45).
Old 02-12-2010, 07:12 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by isthar View Post
want to trade your black ones for my red ones?
I'm going with Black Jack. I ordered them today, should be in next week.

I put the checkerboard on today and didn't like them, they just stuck out too Much. The black and silver on the Chili Red/Black looked pretty cool.
2010 MCCSa JCW Stage 1, Chili Red/Blk, Picked up 1-16-2010, Premium, Convenience, Cold Weather, Carbon Leather, Rooster Red, Chrome Interior, JCW Aero Kit, JCW Carbon Fiber Scoop, JCW Strut Bar, JCW Scuttles, Carbon Fiber Mirrors, Viper Stripes, Black Driving Lights, DRAG DR-34 17", 215-45-17 Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport, Remus Racing SportExhaust, H-Sport Rear Sway
Old 02-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Neutral

Gallery
installation

Thank you sooo much it was so easy even a girl could follow your instructions. Now my mini rocks with the British flag on the roof as well as the mirror caps.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:18 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
tagging, getting pure silver caps soon.

2011 Mini Cooper Clubman S Hampton Edition / Reef Blue / Mini Connect with Navigation / Auto / DTC / Auto AC / Dual Sun Roof / Roof Rack / Alarm /
Old 03-14-2010, 05:24 AM
3rd Gear

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Gallery
Thanks Jim, the directions worked like a champ! I used a plastic putty knife since I didn't have one of those fancy pampered chef widgets.

Craig
Old 03-30-2010, 11:06 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
SWEET! I'm changing to white caps too! thanks
Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 PM
5th Gear

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
Gallery
Garage
THanks for this write up man, I forgot how to switch the caps out lol. Have any pictures of your black jack mirror caps? I havent seen them on a chili red yet.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Neutral

Send a message via AIM to nbliss
Gallery
Talking Chili Red Mirror Caps

Hello!

I have a Pepper White Mini Cooper S 2008 & have been dying to change out my mirrors to Chili Red? Does anyone know where I can get some or trade for my black ones? The mini dealership is pretty expensive. Any helpful hints would be great. Also what is everyone's thoughts on changing out the trunk lift thing to red & the piece on the hood around the air intake? I saw a mini the other day that had all parts switched out, but didn't know how to go about doing that.
Thanks!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:48 AM
2nd Gear

Gallery
You might try searching eBay for the mirror caps, I just got some carbon fiber ones there. Changing out the scoop isn't too hard, one screw and then a gentle clockwise turn. Just keep it easy so you don't break any of the connector pins. Changing the trunk release lift is a breeze. Two screws to undo and then a wire to unplug. Just reverse that to put the new one on. I did both of mine with carbon fiber.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 AM
3rd Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbliss View Post
Hello!

Does anyone know where I can get some or trade for my black ones?

I've been considering swapping my Chili Red ones for Black. We might have a deal!
2007 MCSa "Habanero" | DIY Rear Seat Delete | DIY Lumbar Retrofit | Rear Sound Dampening | Full Speaker Replacement | Detroit Tuned Stage 1 Brakes | ASA AR1 Wheels | Aesthetic Creations Wheel Caps | 4 Hella 500FF Rally Lights | Lots of NCSExpert Programming!
Southwestern Indiana MINI Motoring Club
Old 05-12-2010, 01:20 PM
1st Gear

Gallery
IS this method is best for the powerfold mirrors?
2009 S Clubman Pure Silver | Carolina Panther Blue mirror caps | Alta 22mm Sway Bar | NM Strut Brace | NM Intake | Riss Catless DP | JCW Exhaust | Helix FMIC | NM Cold Side Boost Pipe | Alta Hot Side Boost Tube | WMW Diverter Valve
Blue Thunder 1988 Volvo 245 | 286k miles | 1500 Watts | 2 x 12" MTX | 10 Speakers
Old 05-12-2010, 07:04 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
Yes, Powerfold and NON powerfold.

The above pics are Powerfold mirrors.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Neutral

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCheatOSX View Post
I've been considering swapping my Chili Red ones for Black. We might have a deal!
I have some black ones that I'm willing to trade. Let me know if you're still interested.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:59 PM
Neutral

Send a message via AIM to nbliss
Gallery
Hello TheCheatOSX,

I know it's been about 2 months, I just noticed you replied to me. Are you still interested in the black mirror caps? Or did you already get some?

Is your mini chili red? And my mirrors are powered, not sure if that matters for the caps or not. Let me know & sorry for the late response. Thanks, Nicole
Old 08-26-2010, 06:04 PM
2nd Gear

Gallery
Garage
Great write-up THANKS
I will be installing Black Jacks on my MINI
with much help from you!
Thanks again
[/SIGPIC]2010 MCSC*Midnight Black *17" Mod Tech Black wheels * BlackJack interior & exterior mirror caps, door/boot handles, side scuttles, stubby antenna *carbon fiber A panels, grille surround, headlight rings, scuttle holders, door panels, window posts, MINI logos and 20% tint all around*blacked out beltline* *tinted side markers and 3rd brake light*ruby red taillights*22mm Eibach sway bar* JCW strut tower bar*ALTA CAI* *SCMM Member*
Old 08-28-2010, 01:14 AM
Neutral

Gallery
Garage
I was able to pull my caps off by hand (no tools of any kind) without breaking any tabs. Maybe I was just lucky. I used both hands and just gave them a tug and off they came. Done in less than 2 minutes!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:05 PM
3rd Gear

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Gallery
Garage
Is there a true difference between power-folding and non-power-folding mirror caps? I'm considering replacing my '09 JCW black caps with carbon fiber caps. I've looked at serveral caps including ones found on eBay and some mention that they are not for power-folding mirrors. Why wouldn't they fit? Any detailed info out there? Thanks.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:23 PM
6th Gear

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Send a message via AIM to onefish2
Gallery
Swapped out the black mirror caps for the JCW CF mirror caps. I did not follow the advice from the OP and cracked the passenger side heated glass. The replacement part was almost $90. Be very careful and follow the directions in this thread.

09 JCW Laser Blue/Black | JCW Aero Kit | JCW Suspension | JCW Steering Wheel | Akrapovic DP & Exhaust | M7 CF Hood Scoop | DoS CAI | Helix Intercooler | H-Sport Rear Sway Bar | Craven Speed SSK | NM Eng Tie Bar, Boost Tubes & Torque Arm Insert | BSH OCC & Boost Tap | VEI High-Res Boost Gauge | Integral Audio Sub & Soundsatge | Blacked Out by Vinyl Styles | Pics
Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM
5th Gear

Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaCooperS View Post
Is there a true difference between power-folding and non-power-folding mirror caps? I'm considering replacing my '09 JCW black caps with carbon fiber caps. I've looked at serveral caps including ones found on eBay and some mention that they are not for power-folding mirrors. Why wouldn't they fit? Any detailed info out there? Thanks.
Yes, the size of the cap is different between power fold and NON power fold and therefore NOT interchangeable.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 PM
3rd Gear

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
Gallery
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimjimtell View Post
Yes, the size of the cap is different between power fold and NON power fold and therefore NOT interchangeable.
Is the size different or just the clip locations? I was told by a vendor that it was just clip location. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:42 AM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
Looks easy, but I just broke two plastic spoons, a large plastic washer and one of my fingernails trying to pry these things off. And they are still on. Anyone out there selling Pampered Chef scrapers?
Old 03-06-2011, 05:18 AM
5th Gear

Gallery

http://www.pamperedchef.com/our_prod...ategoryCode=FH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gluhwein View Post
Looks easy, but I just broke two plastic spoons, a large plastic washer and one of my fingernails trying to pry these things off. And they are still on. Anyone out there selling Pampered Chef scrapers?
Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 AM
4th Gear

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Gallery
Solved it.

I went out to two grocery stores in an unsuccessful attempt to find those plastic milk jug handle tabs. One girl even let me head into their huge fridge to scour around for them. She said she usually sees a couple when a new shipment comes in, but no luck today.

Then I headed for Home Depot looking for something totally unrelated when inspiration struck. First I looked in the tool section to see if perhaps there might be a plastic chisel or even a prybar. No such animal. Then I thought about paint scrapers and edging tools for painting. Again no luck. The edgers were far too thin and I suppose proper scraping of old paint requires something tough and sharp like steel.

Looking around in the paint department I spotted the ultimate tool (not me!) - it was a spackling knife made of plastic. The 1 inch wide blade sells for a whopping .98. Even if it didn't work it was no great loss.

It worked like a charm as I started on the pax mirror. Wedged it in on the outside edge until I heard the pop. Kept one hand on that edge to keep it off then slid the plastic knife inward and voila, off came that side. Less than a minute.

A lot more trouble on the driver side because I couldn't get the knife to wedge inside. I even broke off a corner of the knife but no mirror cover scratches at all. Finally I approached from the outer curve and got the sucker to pry up the corner. From there it took a little work to hold that end off and slide up to the opposite end, but it eventually came off.

Installing the new mirrors was a breeze. I spent 98 cents and saved more than a hundred bucks on the installation.

One last word of advice - I was going for the whole Black Jack look when I ordered the two side mirrors AND the interior mirror cover. Don't waste your money on the latter. You can barely see the silly thing. Better to save your money and buy the side scuttles or roof graphic. Now I know.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:08 AM