Electrical (?) Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2016, 02:44 PM
32 ft. per sec2
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Electrical (?) Questions

2 questions regarding the black art (well no more since Lucas was banished) of all things electrical. Noob here so if there's a thread link (couldn't find one) then please let me know.

#1) Does anyone else's windows occasionally (for no rhyme or reason) reverse their function? In other words, sometimes when i tab the lever to make the window go down, it goes down a bit then reverses itself. Sometimes it does it in the other direction. It's very infrequent and happens with both windows. Also I've notice that the motor action is sometimes slow, I can hear it.

#2) I absolutely HATE the automatic door lock function (1 for the driver's door and 2 for the others). I want both doors to unlock when I hit the button but the dealer says no way to reprogram the key fob. Any help?

Old 01-24-2016, 09:01 PM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, I've had ghostly behavior from my windows occasionally. Weird when it happens but not often enough to worry about it.

Are you talking about unlocking both doors using the key fob? Mine is set to do that. The you tube link walks you through the process.

Old 01-25-2016, 09:04 AM
keen
3rd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 32 ft. per sec2
#1) Does anyone else's windows occasionally (for no rhyme or reason) reverse their function? In other words, sometimes when i tab the lever to make the window go down, it goes down a bit then reverses itself. Sometimes it does it in the other direction. It's very infrequent and happens with both windows. Also I've notice that the motor action is sometimes slow, I can hear it.

No magic here - your window is binding somewhere, and triggering the automatic safely reverse in the motor. Same thing happens if you stick your head or hand thumb out the window and try to close it on it.

The slow motor action is the easy give away there - if it's slow, something's dragging somewhere. Could be someone closed the door using the glass (cry) and bent something/knocked something out of alignment. Or could be the cold. :-D

The drivers window on my GP isn't in perfect alignment...sometimes. so it'll bump the rubber when it gets to the top and reverse. Most of the time it doesn't hit it.

Overall these components are significantly lower quality than my R53s were.... need to get in before warranty rolls over to get a bunch of little issues addressed that a late build car should not have had. :/

Old 01-27-2016, 08:34 PM
32 ft. per sec2
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks all!

Dropped the GP off at the dealer for the window issue plus some others, all covered under warranty. It was the driver's side window motor so they replaced it along with the windshield top trim strip. But they couldn't figure out the rear hatch creaking. The tech actually said that he couldn't hear it but since it was late I figured "bone head" so of course as soon as I got in it and drove away it was creaking like no one's business. D'oh!

Hey Johnna, thanks for the video, it's a real help. Of course when I asked the dealer they said it couldn't be done!

Old 01-30-2016, 06:00 AM
Johnna
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks all!

Dropped the GP off at the dealer for the window issue plus some others, all covered under warranty. It was the driver's side window motor so they replaced it along with the windshield top trim strip. But they couldn't figure out the rear hatch creaking. The tech actually said that he couldn't hear it but since it was late I figured "bone head" so of course as soon as I got in it and drove away it was creaking like no one's business. D'oh!

Hey Johnna, thanks for the video, it's a real help. Of course when I asked the dealer they said it couldn't be done!
Happy to help out where I can.

Re: Creaking. I've found in my GP2 that there are two sources for creaky noises.

One is the hatch latch which has been an issue with MINIs since Gen 1. Latch replacement/adjustment or wrapping the loop with electrical tape tends to help.

The other is the red pseudo harness bar. Best fix for this creak is to wrap the ends of the bar that contact the support bracket with electrical tape.

Good luck.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:50 AM
hsautocrosser
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2 questions regarding the black art (well no more since Lucas was banished) of all things electrical.
Not banished very far:

http://www.lucaselectrical.co.uk/ima...e-products.jpg