General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled or repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 09:13 AM
Knarfarrgh
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totaled or repairable?

Got rear ended by a f250 and pushed into a chevy silverado. I'm fine but my mini is not. No air bag deployment but seatbelt pretensioners went off. Back driver side window is coming off seal. Waiting to hear back from insurance but being a little impatient. Lemme know what you think. Parts that will need replacing- front and back bumper, entire back door hatch, hood, grill, drivers side quarter panel, and area where the hatch attaches when closed. Not to mention possible damage to unibody. Meeper is a 2012 with 39,000 miles.

Last edited by Knarfarrgh; 09-21-2014 at 09:58 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 09-21-2014, 06:52 PM
Knarfarrgh
Neutral
Any help?

Any help would be appreciated

Old 09-21-2014, 07:03 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I think you might be boarder line. Its very hard to tell by just pictures. The good thing is the airbags didn't go off. Also sense its a 2012 its still new enough. As long as there is no structural damage then I would say yes they will fix it. But again its very hard to tell by these pictures. You did get hit hard in the back. Is the car at a body shop now?

Old 09-21-2014, 07:09 PM
Knarfarrgh
Neutral
Yes it's at the body shop. Should know by at least thursday

Old 09-21-2014, 07:16 PM
ZIPPY "S"
6th Gear
You know what I would do.. I would very nicely go to the body shop and just ask them what they think about your car. Are you waiting on them or the Insurance company?

Old 09-22-2014, 04:17 AM
Knarfarrgh
Neutral
Waiting on both actually. I'll find out this week, just wanted some opinions until I find out.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:40 AM
otbiker
2nd Gear
Total is usually 75% of current book value. Lookup the retail value X 75%. Damage would need to exceed that to total the vehicle. I'm not guessing if it is or not, and no one else should either...

Old 09-22-2014, 09:16 AM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Depending on your financial situation, you're better off if it's totaled. Many times it's difficult to get a good repair, and the carfax will be a deal killer when it's time to unload it.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:30 PM
Knarfarrgh
Neutral
Thanks everyone. It was deemed not totaled. 7k in damage

Old 09-22-2014, 06:32 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Knarfarrgh
Thanks everyone. It was deemed not totaled. 7k in damage
Wow, it cost my insurance company nearly $3k when someone backed into my door and broke the mirror off!

Old 09-27-2014, 05:48 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
No way on earth that's only $7k. Maybe if they use crap used parts. I think I'd get several other estimates, and use only genuine MINI parts.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:50 AM
deovolens
3rd Gear
at least 10000$ for those repairs, there is a lot of invisible damage and future problems are programmed: corrosion aso

Old 09-27-2014, 07:50 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Be aware that insurance companies and body shops write estimates in totally opposite ways. If a body shop can't see a hidden item but suspects it is probably damaged they will include that item on their estimate. If an insurance company is writing the estimate and can't see a hidden item that might be damaged, they won't write that item on their estimate. After repairs are started if that hidden item proves to be damaged the insurance company would authorize a supplement for the required amount and make an additional payment. Body shop estimates don't go up nearly as often as insurance company estimates do.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:27 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
I concur. No way 7 k. But that's not the OP's. Issue.

That mini was hit high so I don't think the floor is tweaked But that left quarter panel where the tail light mounts is crushed pretty hard. I would say it needed a quarter panel. That tailgate is toast bumper reinforcement and supports

There is some hidden damage there. I am saying a 2500 supplement. But it won't total now being that they would have started work by the time they get the supplement.

Make sure you see the estimate and try to verify everything went in that was authorized.

If you see on your estimate the term "LKQ" next to a part. That means " like kind or quality". Aka. NOT OEM your ins co is allowed to request theses but some times they have no choice.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 09-28-2014, 05:42 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Drivehard
I concur. No way 7 k. But that's not the OP's. Issue.

That mini was hit high so I don't think the floor is tweaked But that left quarter panel where the tail light mounts is crushed pretty hard. I would say it needed a quarter panel. That tailgate is toast bumper reinforcement and supports

There is some hidden damage there. I am saying a 2500 supplement. But it won't total now being that they would have started work by the time they get the supplement.

Make sure you see the estimate and try to verify everything went in that was authorized.

If you see on your estimate the term "LKQ" next to a part. That means " like kind or quality". Aka. NOT OEM your ins co is allowed to request theses but some times they have no choice.

Good luck.

LKQ (Like kind and Quality) doesn't necessarily mean 'NOT OEM'. LKQ also refers to used parts. Theory is: if you insure a car that is x number of years old it is acceptable to replace that part with a salvage part that is also x number of years old. So long as it is equal to or better (example being rust) to the part being replaced it is acceptable.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:47 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Originally Posted by whaap
LKQ (Like kind and Quality) doesn't necessarily mean 'NOT OEM'. LKQ also refers to used parts. Theory is: if you insure a car that is x number of years old it is acceptable to replace that part with a salvage part that is also x number of years old. So long as it is equal to or better (example being rust) to the part being replaced it is acceptable.
Yes. I stand corrected. Forgot about the used part thing. And too add. If given a choice I'd rather a nice clean used part than an aftermarket part that may not have the same corrosion treatment and fit. Either way they are getting painted so that aspect is a wash.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:46 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
I always thought LKQ was the nation wide salvage parts company by the same name

Old 10-03-2014, 08:03 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Nicefeet
I always thought LKQ was the nation wide salvage parts company by the same name
It may well be but in 'insurance speak' it means like kind and quality.