General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Better R53 Mini Cooper S & Manual, or Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 03:13 PM
Elite Treats
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A Better R53 Mini Cooper S & Manual, or Automatic?

Out of the R53 models, what's the difference between the 04's, 05's, and 06's? Besides the fact that the 06 could have the JCW package straight from the factory. I'm curious because i'm in the market for one and I want to know if they had any changes/differences between them. And another thing is I never ever have driven a manual car in my life. (im 18) and I really want to learn, but don't know anybody who can teach me because almost every driver in America has an automatic. And would you recommend a Manual or an Automatic when it comes down to the feel, performance, and fun. Does anybody have a manual and wish they have an automatic, or vice-versa? and btw i live in florida so i don't have to worry about going up hill and things like that. the land here is flat.
THANKS!!!

Old 09-19-2013, 03:49 PM
jordan.burks
4th Gear
well i know you are asking about a r53 and i drive a r56 but in terms of the manual vs auto. definitely go with the manual. having driven both i can say the manual gives you a much better experience. just my opinion. learning how to drive stick is not that hard. you can pick it up quick especially since it's flat where you live!

Old 09-19-2013, 04:16 PM
ACallahan
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In 05 they started offering a LSD as an option they also upgraded to 380cc injectors and CAI on the 05 JCW models.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:19 PM
JAB 67
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Manual transmission gear ratios in the 05 & 06 are reportedly somewhat better than in the earlier versions.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:21 PM
Day177017
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are those days when i get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and i'm hating life while playing with the clutch and wishing i got an auto.

But then when it opens up and i'm running through the gears, those feelings go right out the window and glad i got a manual.

Old 09-19-2013, 04:29 PM
mikeson
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Day177017
There are those days when i get stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and i'm hating life while playing with the clutch and wishing i got an auto.

But then when it opens up and i'm running through the gears, those feelings go right out the window and glad i got a manual.

Haha, Yes, when I drive in LA, I hate my manual trans but as soon as drive down in Orange county, I love mine.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:49 PM
SkyRideTravis
2nd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have both an auto and manual. Loved the auto so much, but wanted more, so I ended up getting a 2nd. I knew how to drive stick, but had no feel for it. About 7 years ago I drove a couple of friends manuals for about 300 miles total. Other than that, nothing. I didn't let that stop me, though. I went ahead and got a manual.

However, I wouldn't recommend you go with a manual if you live somewhere with bumper to bumper traffic, and you have to go through it every day.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:12 AM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Manual. All day long. Once you learn how, you never forget, like riding a bike. I think it's a valuable skill, but not often found these days. The fun, feel, and control you have over the car is unmatched - and even better in a MINI.

I live in Tampa Bay and deal with some unpleasant rush hour traffic during my commute to & from the office, bumper to bumper for big stretches. If you know how to keep the car moving slowly in 1st without stalling it - and you don't insist on moving up every 6" when available - it's not that big of a deal.

My first car was a manual, and while my Mom had driven a manual, I pretty much taught myself in empty parking lots. Another option: check Sunshine MINIs for a local club. Maybe drop a post about wanting to learn how to drive the manual properly, you might be able to find a member willing to teach you. Hell - if you're anywhere near the Bay - I'll be happy to help if I can.

Good luck!

Old 09-20-2013, 11:43 AM
chosmister
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fridayxiii
Manual. All day long. Once you learn how, you never forget, like riding a bike.
Can't agree more. I was forced back to an auto bc no dealers around me had a manual at the time I leased.

Miss it so damn much.

A manual tranny gives you a much more direct and connected driving experience, and it really becomes habit. After a while you don't even think about it.

I still depress my left foot every time that I turn on my car. They should make a dummy clutch pedal for sad sacks like me.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:56 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts
Get the one you will be more comfortable driving....
Just know that automatic in higher power cars tend to have a shorter life... Much the same in a manual where clutches tend to wear faster with high HP...
Just know the fix, a clutch in a manual is around $2000, and an auto tranny rebuild 2-3x as much.
IMO the auto in the mini is more well suited to cruising, not thrashing.... So new that in mind...and buy carefully.

Old 09-20-2013, 12:12 PM
fridayxiii
5th Gear
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by chosmister
Can't agree more. I was forced back to an auto bc no dealers around me had a manual at the time I leased.

Miss it so damn much.

A manual tranny gives you a much more direct and connected driving experience, and it really becomes habit. After a while you don't even think about it.

I still depress my left foot every time that I turn on my car. They should make a dummy clutch pedal for sad sacks like me.
+1
During my time with auto trans - before I got my MINI - I really needed a dead pedal for my left foot to stomp on I also got so used to sitting in neutral at stop lights with a stick that I started doing the same with the auto.

I understand the technical advantages of some new flappy paddle gearboxes over a traditional stick shifter, and I get why some people by autos, but I'll never like them as much nor go that way 'til I'm forced to.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:06 PM
c0op3r
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Automatic

WOW you have gotten alot of answer on this, I personally love stick shift cars, BUT with the newer Automatics that have some sort of sport mode. I have been buying Automatic.

My Mini is an 06' and I looked for one that DID have the Automatic, I have the paddle shifters for when I want to use it in that mode, but like what was already stated here, in general traffic it sure is nice to have the auto.

I have found the automatic to be very nice and quick, there are some caveats:

• The transmission is not as strong - so if you plan on building a 400 hp beast go stick!
  • you CAN NOT rev as high it going to shift no matter what you do at 6700 to 6750 - you can push a stick to bounce off the rev limiter and can even raise the rev limit with a tune.
  • Automatics cost more - you ARE going to pay more for the car
  • Automatics are Rare - the number produce is like 1 to 100
Like I said I have the Auto, I have done some upgrades and I am shooting for 200 at the wheels which I am told the transmission will handle fine.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:11 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm not from the States originally but learned to drive in the States unfortunately for me so I got stuck driving automatic. My wife, who's born here, doesn't want to drive a manual so that kills it a bit for me, but for sure if you can get a manual I would do it. It will give you a tone more flexibility if you travel anywhere in the world and that is really valuable, trust me

Originally Posted by c0op3r
[*]Automatics are Rare - the number produce is like 1 to 100
I know Motoring often means manual for a lot of MINI owners but Automatic rare??? IDK... In the US I would still think there are more auto and manuals regardless of vehicle type.

Last edited by TG.; 09-20-2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Jaydavid
3rd Gear
I first learned to drive manual when i was 17 and i have to say im glad i did thats all i wanted to do after i learned. Its way funner than an auto its not very hard to learn. You will be happy got got the mini in a stick. Sports cars should not be anything other thank manual in my honest opinion. Save the autos for the family carriers

Old 09-21-2013, 03:08 AM
MINILLA
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Jaydavid
I first learned to drive manual when i was 17 and i have to say im glad i did thats all i wanted to do after i learned. Its way funner than an auto its not very hard to learn. You will be happy got got the mini in a stick. Sports cars should not be anything other thank manual in my honest opinion. Save the autos for the family carriers
No no no ...auto is the way to go....much less hassle and it doesn't diminish the driving experience one bit.......maybe stick for sports cars but were talking MINI here so go auto

Old 09-21-2013, 07:18 AM
TG.
6th Gear
What MINILLA is saying made me think . . .

I still think being fluent in driving a stick provides so much more flexibility if you do any sort of travel in other countries.
Having said that driving the MINI has been a blast for us and is truly a lot of fun no matter what you choose.

So the real question would be: What kind of driver do you think you are?

- Do you like to stroll the city to go out often trying that new restaurant that open downtown or that show that just started? You like to be quick everywhere and zipping around and find that tiny parking spot only you can fit in, it makes your day special. Do you like taking the back road home to make the drive longer just because it's fun driving regardless where you go? Are you exited just to go anywhere with the MINI and feel your lifestyle is getting better and better. Do you like going on small trips always looking for that nice beautifully poetic winding road you can let yourself drive sportingly when twist and turns at speed in the MINI makes you feel so free.

OR

- Do you look for any opportunity to test your driving skills hoping to improve those quick shifts cornering moments? Do you wait for the next AutoX event where you hope you'll get to try someday? Do you get bored or anxious any time you drive in the city and can't wait to get some distance from it so you can blast that acceleration that puts a big smile on your face? That same smile you get when you nicely timed that downshifting taking that turn on your favorite road. Do you prefer having that mechanical relationship that makes you feel YOU drive the car at any moment especially on those back twisty roads when the MINI and you are alone in the moment?

. . . It may not be exactly that. I was just trying to find the right mood that fits both transmissions on a MINI

Last edited by TG.; 09-21-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:44 AM
jgk6502
3rd Gear
I say manual.
I bought an auto CMS last year. It made me love to drive. I felt that a manual, would make it even better, so I bought a manual R53.
Just like chosmister, when I get in the CMS, I want to put the shifter in neutral and press the clutch pedal before starting. It feels like something is missing.

The paddle shifting is nice, but still doesn't give you as much control as true manual because it's linear and you never know exactly what gear you're in without peeking. With my manual, I always know what gear I'm in based on muscle memory of shifter position.

Learning manual, the hardest part isn't clutch work in 1st from a standstill. It's developing muscle memory for when to shift up AND down based on speed and RPM, and where each gear is, ALL at the same time. I've been teaching my 18 year old daughter and her first try, she had a smooth start from standstill, but then after that... NOW What.. Clutch, off gas, shifter back, ease clutch, on gas. All takes practice, but well worth it. Start in a big parking lot. Probably in a business park on a weekend when few cars are around. If you can work a video game controller, working a manual will be easy for you and more enjoyable.
I agree with others, daily bumper to bumper traffic on a highway with a manual is no fun.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:34 PM
wmsky33
Neutral
Manual doesn't equal hassle

Originally Posted by MINILLA
No no no ...auto is the way to go....much less hassle and it doesn't diminish the driving experience one bit.......maybe stick for sports cars but were talking MINI here so go auto
I don't know how much experience with manuals you have, but for me a manual is just the opposite of hassle - it's fun. I've driven manuals all my life. Once you get used to a manual, you don't even have to think about it, you just do it. And I feel like I'm just more in control of, even more a part of, the car. I find driving an automatic mind-numbingly boring. My $.02.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:11 PM
LethalR53
3rd Gear
I have a manual and sit in traffic everyday to university. But I don't regret getting manual. I personally think that if your going for the R53, get the manual.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:25 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
Manual. The only reason I'd buy an auto is if my knees were completely shot.

And this forum needs voting threads.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:49 PM
TG.
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DrewN
And this forum needs voting threads.
This would be pointless in a motoring fan forum

Stats would be too easy:
- Average americans driving an automatic > win
- Motoring enthusiasts driving a manual > win

Isn't it obvious who's driving a manual?

Old 09-23-2013, 06:24 PM
Elite Treats
1st Gear
WOW! thanks guys so much! i really love reading all these replies! I'll read one and it will set me on getting manual, then i'll read one about getting an auto and it'll make me wanna think it over. i think i wont be dealing with bumper to bumper traffic here. i do live in a popular area but things move pretty well. i do need the learning experience though. and i'll have bragging rights over my friends.

Old 09-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Elite Treats
1st Gear
Originally Posted by fridayxiii
Manual. All day long. Once you learn how, you never forget, like riding a bike. I think it's a valuable skill, but not often found these days. The fun, feel, and control you have over the car is unmatched - and even better in a MINI.

I live in Tampa Bay and deal with some unpleasant rush hour traffic during my commute to & from the office, bumper to bumper for big stretches. If you know how to keep the car moving slowly in 1st without stalling it - and you don't insist on moving up every 6" when available - it's not that big of a deal.

My first car was a manual, and while my Mom had driven a manual, I pretty much taught myself in empty parking lots. Another option: check Sunshine MINIs for a local club. Maybe drop a post about wanting to learn how to drive the manual properly, you might be able to find a member willing to teach you. Hell - if you're anywhere near the Bay - I'll be happy to help if I can.

Good luck!
HAHA thanks for the offer but i dont think i want to "waste your time" even though it would go to good use, im sure u have better things to do. i do live near the tampa area. I'm in Clearwater. and god for bid if i did something wrong i wouldnt want to harm your baby.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:44 AM
sh13
1st Gear
I bought an '07 MCS a month ago. Beautiful car with a 6-speed manual. I am already thinking of trading it in for an automatic. I live in the NYC suburbs, and, most days, it isn't much different from driving in NYC, especially weekends: traffic, stop signs, stop lights, and speed traps just about everywhere. I am constantly rowing the gears up from first, then back down, often not getting beyond second or third before I have to slow it down again.
I had a Porsche 944 for nine years with a five speed and thought it was great fun. Then I retired and decided that I needed an everyday car, so I bought an Audi A4 with an automatic transmission. I drove it for three years, and gave it to the Lady of the House when I got the MCS last month. It might be that I became lazy driving the automatic Audi for three years or that I became lazy by aging three more years. Either way, I am at an age where I don't have to live with my mistakes, and am seriously considering giving in to convenience and ease.
If you have doubts about the manual, and haven't driven one yet, or you are looking for convenience, get the automatic; you can always trade it in for a manual.
That's my two cents.

Last edited by sh13; 09-24-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:00 PM
bishop_gideon
3rd Gear
Automatic...

I've driven both and have taught many people how to drive manual. I can drive either very well, but prefer automatics.

- traffic... lord how I hated shifting in traffic.
- I like to enjoy my car, and the drive... I'm not saying you can't enjoy your car if it's a manual, but I found that I enjoy the car more if I'm not worrying about shifting.
- if it's a daily driver, like mine, you'll be much better off with an auto. If you only drive it on weekends, or on occasions, get a manual.

And the fun thing about all these replies about Manual Vs. Automatic... they are opinions. Neither is "more fun" than the other. Get what fits your situation the best. Everything that every one wrote about "if you want to do this, then drive this, if you want to do that, then drive this" is mostly opinion. Get what makes it easier on you.

Also, if you want to learn stick, rent a car.

Quick Reply: A Better R53 Mini Cooper S & Manual, or Automatic?