General Discussion Competiting with the new MINI on track or at a SCCA Solo event.

R58 harness bar source

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 05:57 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
R58 harness bar source

Hi all,

Does any body know if anybody has made a HARNESS BAR for the R58? ( in my case a 2013 fJCW )

I have searched all the common vendors and have yet to see anything. Looking at the car it seems doable. Although space is tight behind the seat

Appreciate any info on this.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using NAMotoring

Old 09-09-2014, 10:53 AM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drivehard I am having one made for mine next week. Dropping it off on Wed and picking up on the 22nd of Sept.

Depending on how hard it is they will be making more for the Coupe and Roadster. they said it looks totally doable. You will lose some space behing the seat and before the rear humps to make it fit.

I'll post more once I get it done.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Tommy Liveoak
Drivehard I am having one made for mine next week. Dropping it off on Wed and picking up on the 22nd of Sept. Depending on how hard it is they will be making more for the Coupe and Roadster. they said it looks totally doable. You will lose some space behing the seat and before the rear humps to make it fit. I'll post more once I get it done.
Great news. You know that those humps are removable and we could gain some space and just fill in the void with some matching interior carpet.

Take a peek at real OEM for the interior partition and u will see what I mean.

Keep me posted.

Thanks

Old 09-10-2014, 10:03 AM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
Drivehard,

I will know the humps are removable but I lile them and have a custom speaker box and amp built in so plan on keeping it.

I will lose a couple inches of seat travel by having it behind the seat but that will be the strongest straightest route since I am going to use the seat belt towers as the base. they are already reinforced for the loar and will also stiffen the car. This will make it workable on the R58 and R59.

Plan is to make it removable if wanted so if you have that tall passenger or need you can just pop it out.

Will know know more in a couple weeks.
Excited to finally get this done.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:08 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Drivehard, I will know the humps are removable but I lile them and have a custom speaker box and amp built in so plan on keeping it. I will lose a couple inches of seat travel by having it behind the seat but that will be the strongest straightest route since I am going to use the seat belt towers as the base. they are already reinforced for the loar and will also stiffen the car. This will make it workable on the R58 and R59. Plan is to make it removable if wanted so if you have that tall passenger or need you can just pop it out. Will know know more in a couple weeks. Excited to finally get this done.
Great. Let me know. I'm prepping for next season and need this. I'm not partial to the 2 pads In the humps that appear removable. I'm guessing I could save almost an inch if not more and then make in insert to replace the 2 pads.

I'm talking about #19 I the pic

R58 harness bar source-image-3371958128.jpg

It could also leave me room to wrap the belts around the bar and let them lay flat when street driving

In any case I'll see what your guy has or I'll just make my own as I am able to have some one weld them for me once I get the material. I priced out the tube it's like 60 bucks all I need is the 2 brackets for the seat belt mount.

Anxious to see what your guy has. If it's nice I'll jump in

Thanks

Old 09-23-2014, 11:29 AM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
Quick update the bar is in and harnesses done.

I picked it up last night and then took it directly to another shop for my LSD and clutch install. Will take pics this Friday latest maybe sooner just depends on the shop.

Basically it mounts to the seat belt tower tops. Super clean and easy. They made a jig so they can make more if others are interested.

The company is called Auto Power Safety Equipment Website here is the website Autopowerindustries.com Tell them Tommy with the MINI Coupe sent you and they will know what you need.

Like I said I'll post pics as soon as I get it back. Till then Happy Racing!

Old 09-23-2014, 05:39 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
Quick update the bar is in and harnesses done. I picked it up last night and then took it directly to another shop for my LSD and clutch install. Will take pics this Friday latest maybe sooner just depends on the shop. Basically it mounts to the seat belt tower tops. Super clean and easy. They made a jig so they can make more if others are interested. The company is called Auto Power Safety Equipment Website here is the website Autopowerindustries.com Tell them Tommy with the MINI Coupe sent you and they will know what you need. Like I said I'll post pics as soon as I get it back. Till then Happy Racing!
Standing by. Thanks !

Old 09-29-2014, 02:42 PM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
As Promised Custom made R58 Harness bar and 5 point harnesses. They can make them now for everyone. If you want it contact Auto Power Safety Equipment

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Harnessbar.jpg

Name:  R58Harnessbar.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  97.1 KB

Old 09-29-2014, 05:35 PM
Drivehard
4th Gear
As Promised Custom made R58 Harness bar and 5 point harnesses. They can make them now for everyone. If you want it contact Auto Power Safety Equipment http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...Harnessbar.jpg
Nice. A couple of questions. Is the vertical tube welded to the OEM seat belt ring or is it just bolted on top of it. I can't tell enlarging the pic. And is there a bend in the bar to make it go reward then across or is it a welded turn.

It's nice. I see why they had to use the tube in order to get the correct height for what's look like the correct 20degree-ish angle.

And of course how much? It's not listed on their site. You can pm me that if you don't feel comfortable posting. Epically if u were the guinea pig.

Thanks for the effort.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:00 AM
Tommy Liveoak
2nd Gear
The vertical tube is bolted on top of it. Just remove the top black plastic cover. Remove the bolt that is already in there and place the bar inside it. Reinsert bar and bolt it on. So easy and clean.

Yes there is a bend in the bar to make it go reward then across. This is to give as much room behind the seats as possible and keep the correct height and angles.

On the cost you will have to give them a call not sure what the charge for it now. My may or may not have been more expensive due to being a custom and first one off. They told me they have it jigged and ready for production if others want it.So my endevores will benifit all Coupe racers. With both sets of 5 point harnesses, mounting, and the fabrication cost it was just under a grand. Harnesses are 209 each, the install was 100 and the rest was the bar and tax. So the bar was 4 something. Don't have the reciept with me at work.

I am very happy with it and the harnesses. Does what I wanted, looks nice, and does not obstruct the view. Bonus also it ties the two seat belt towers together for more structural rigidity.

I would totally recommend this for anyone serious about racing the coupe.