Electrical For discussions regarding wiring up electrical modifications such as radar detectors, brake light mods, power sockets, and driving lights in Clubman (R55), Cooper and Cooper S (R56), and Cabrio (R57) MINIs.

Electrical Multi Function Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 09:13 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Multi Function Steering Wheel

I purchased my MCS off the showroom floor. It had some packages on it including the 3 spoke sport steering wheel.

I want to know: I see on miniusa when you build one you can get the 3 spoke sport steeringwheel with multifunction (radio controlls etc). for $250...can I get this form my local dealer or does my MINI not have the prewiring in the steeringwheel for the controlls from the factory?

Can I buy the multifunction wheel and pop it on and have the cruise controll and radio controlls??

Old 01-17-2008, 09:40 AM
djam43
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think that when you order the cruise control you get the MF wheel. So I think you will have to order the cruise control module to get everything.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:45 AM
jaridp
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kevinminict
I purchased my MCS off the showroom floor. It had some packages on it including the 3 spoke sport steering wheel.

I want to know: I see on miniusa when you build one you can get the 3 spoke sport steeringwheel with multifunction (radio controlls etc). for $250...can I get this form my local dealer or does my MINI not have the prewiring in the steeringwheel for the controlls from the factory?

Can I buy the multifunction wheel and pop it on and have the cruise controll and radio controlls??
If your MINI did not come from the factory with the Multifunction steering wheel it cannot be retrofitted at the dealership. Sorry! The wiring is simply not there.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:54 AM
glangford
6th Gear
The retrofit capability does exist. Several who ordered MFSW for delivery last feb had there cars come without mfsw. Some have had that capability added at the dealer because of the mix up. I was one of the ordering mix ups and I reordered.

Talk to your dealer, they may say no, but it never hurts to ask. it won't be cheap, but a mfsw can be dealer retrofitted.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:14 AM
TurboBlu
2nd Gear
you can, but the radio buttons won't work and it will cost you 2000 dollars for cruise control basically

Old 01-17-2008, 10:42 AM
ScottMHoffman
2nd Gear
I had the same problem as glandford. My 2007 came without the multifunction wheel and since it was the factor error the dealer installed the wheel for $250 crusier control and everything works. The throttle is throttle by wire and the stereo is all part of the computer that is running everything. The dealer installs the new wheel and reprograms the computer and you are up and running.

I would bet you will pay a lot more than $250

Old 01-17-2008, 11:18 AM
goosefraba
3rd Gear
someone just added the MFSW and aside from buying the steering wheel, the dealer had to enable the software for 2 hours of labor. Theirs was already pre-wired and everything worked out. (starts on post 14 of above link)

Last edited by goosefraba; 01-17-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:25 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
If your steering wheel is already 3-spoke, it is only necessary to change to the MFSW spokes (assuming the car is prewired, otherwise you may also need a wiring harness).
Are all the MCS's prewired or some are and some are not?
Originally Posted by brgmcs

Btw, it is already pre-wired so no additional harnesses are required. Does anyone have any idea what the dealer will likely charge for the programming? I am hoping under $300.
That Makes me a little less worried.

Sounds like I would just need to buy the Multifunction Switches, BMW Part#32306773645. B/C I already have the 3spoke sport wheel al I need to do is add the switches and plug them in right?? Its #2 in the diagram in the link below.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=MF73&mospid=50031&btnr=32_1674& hg=32&fg=35

Just a thought. It would be nice to have Cruise. Kinda like it and its been a pain w/o it.

Last edited by kevinminict; 01-17-2008 at 12:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:32 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Anyone have any idea if that can be done?

Old 01-18-2008, 07:40 AM
ScottMHoffman
2nd Gear
I believe it can be done. Since the 07 Mini's have a computer running the car, everything is prewired. Once the steering wheel is installed it is then a change to the program. I ask my dealer about the cruise control when mine did not come w/ the MFSW and was told the throttle is by wire so it is just a programming issue.

Old 01-18-2008, 08:04 AM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Scott,

Ok my question is though....My 07' MINI when I purchased it, it had the "upgraded" 3 spoke "Sport steering wheel" for like $250- $300 bucks because the 07's only came standard with only 2 spoke wheels. (unless you got MFSW)

Now the 08's come standard with the 3 spoke. You can upgrade to the Multifunction now for $250 when you Build your MINI on miniusa.com. I dont know what it was like, pricing wise, when the 07' model's were on their site.

Anyhow

Since I already have the "3 spoke" steering wheel...
1. DO I need to buy the "3 spoke multifunction steering wheel" if there is such a thing (maybe differet wiring in the wheel or space for the switches?)

OR

2. can I just buy the switches to go into my existing steering wheel, which are avail on realoem.com. I dont know if there is a difference in the 2 wheels maybe the MFSW is made different so the switches can fit into the wheel

I asked my SA today and he though I would need a new wheel because of what is behing the 2 plastic covers where the swithes go.

If I may ask does anyone know how to take off the covers to see if there is room to put the Multifunction Switches in? If so I'll have to see if there is room if so maybe thats it?

I think I already have the MFSW just dont have the multifunction part of it, Ya know?

I was going to buy a MFSW from the classified section on here. Someone had one for sale for $50, but it didnt include the switches because he transfered them to his JCW "Fatty" wheel.

SO thats why I am thinking, I can just buy the switches? And get it re-programed. :impatient

Last edited by kevinminict; 01-18-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:33 AM
donato
3rd Gear
I actually intentionally ordered my mini without the MFSW. Why? Because I hate buttons on the steering wheel. I didn't care about the money...in fact I love cruise control. But I love a buttonless and clean steering wheel more. If they would've put cc on the stalk or something I surely would've gone for it.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:49 AM
ScottMHoffman
2nd Gear
I do not know the answer to the question.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:50 PM
glangford
6th Gear
Scott,

Ok my question is though....My 07' MINI when I purchased it, it had the "upgraded" 3 spoke "Sport steering wheel" for like $250- $300 bucks because the 07's only came standard with only 2 spoke wheels. (unless you got MFSW)

Now the 08's come standard with the 3 spoke. You can upgrade to the Multifunction now for $250 when you Build your MINI on miniusa.com. I dont know what it was like, pricing wise, when the 07' model's were on their site.

Anyhow

Since I already have the "3 spoke" steering wheel...
1. DO I need to buy the "3 spoke multifunction steering wheel" if there is such a thing (maybe differet wiring in the wheel or space for the switches?)

OR

2. can I just buy the switches to go into my existing steering wheel, which are avail on realoem.com. I dont know if there is a difference in the 2 wheels maybe the MFSW is made different so the switches can fit into the wheel

I asked my SA today and he though I would need a new wheel because of what is behing the 2 plastic covers where the swithes go.

If I may ask does anyone know how to take off the covers to see if there is room to put the Multifunction Switches in? If so I'll have to see if there is room if so maybe thats it?

I think I already have the MFSW just dont have the multifunction part of it, Ya know?

I was going to buy a MFSW from the classified section on here. Someone had one for sale for $50, but it didnt include the switches because he transfered them to his JCW "Fatty" wheel.

SO thats why I am thinking, I can just buy the switches? And get it re-programed. :impatient
I think you'll have to buy the steering wheel. Ask the dealer

Old 01-18-2008, 03:52 PM
kevinminict
4th Gear
They dont know, :(

Old 01-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Super Dave
3rd Gear
I didn't even know when I ordered that the only way to get CC was with the multifunction wheel, I just assumed that a car that came with some many standard goodies would have it. Can't wait to find out about getting a MFSW! Hopefully (perhaps unrealistically) it can be done for around $400

Old 01-30-2008, 12:32 PM
kevinminict
4th Gear
Anyone know an answer to my above posts?

Old 01-31-2008, 10:45 AM
Sithor
2nd Gear
I need cruise however I really dug the idea of a two-spoke wheel when I first read about them in the '07 brochure.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:31 AM
glangford
6th Gear
Anyone know an answer to my above posts?
Check out this thread in the mini general talk forum.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=127736

Apparently it is doable.

Old 02-13-2008, 03:17 PM
kevinminict
4th Gear
It can be done!

OK everyone. I finally got a chance to get to the inner guts of my steering wheel.

I have a 3 spoke steeringwheel without Multifunction. There was a debate if you could add Multifunction Switches to the steering wheel if it does not have it.

I took my airbag cover off and the L&R Cover plates where the Multifunction Switches would go and there is pre-installed in the steering wheel a Male connector for the Multifunction switches!!!!!

I am going to order the Multifunction Switches from MINI and install them and then have my Local Dealer Re-Program the computer so itll activate it. Exactly what someone else did as well and it worked. I just wanted to verify the male connector was pre-wired.

Here are some photos of my steering wheel. The Connector Circled in RED is the one for the Multifunction Switches switch. The one circled in BLUE is what the Air Bag connects to.

I will buy this part number 32306773645 it's #2 in the diagram from RealOEM.com then I'll have cruise and radio controlls.

Attached Thumbnails Multi Function Steering Wheel-img_9601.jpg   Multi Function Steering Wheel-img_9599.jpg   Multi Function Steering Wheel-235.jpg  

Last edited by kevinminict; 02-13-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:55 PM
zedaristo
2nd Gear
awesome, keep us updated. Very interested in this!

Old 02-14-2008, 04:57 PM
Del Chili
1st Gear
Thanks to this thread, I think my dealer has accepted that CC can be put in after delivery. They are still checking but, I have confidence that within a few weeks I'll finally have CC .

Old 02-21-2008, 06:28 PM
minigirl78
2nd Gear
OK everyone. I finally got a chance to get to the inner guts of my steering wheel.

I have a 3 spoke steeringwheel without Multifunction. There was a debate if you could add Multifunction Switches to the steering wheel if it does not have it.

I took my airbag cover off and the L&R Cover plates where the Multifunction Switches would go and there is pre-installed in the steering wheel a Male connector for the Multifunction switches!!!!!

I am going to order the Multifunction Switches from MINI and install them and then have my Local Dealer Re-Program the computer so itll activate it. Exactly what someone else did as well and it worked. I just wanted to verify the male connector was pre-wired.

Here are some photos of my steering wheel. The Connector Circled in RED is the one for the Multifunction Switches switch. The one circled in BLUE is what the Air Bag connects to.

I will buy this part number 32306773645 it's #2 in the diagram from RealOEM.com then I'll have cruise and radio controlls.
I also would totally love to do this! How did you get that part of the steering wheel off to look at the functions on the inside? I think I might be able to do the same thing, but I don't want to tear my steering wheel apart trying to figure it out. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2008, 09:55 PM
sunshine22
2nd Gear
My car has the MFSW. I never use the cruise control and the radio is so close to the wheel you really don't need the radio buttons on the wheel.

Just my thoughts. You can do w/ out it.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:39 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 120 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by minigirl78
How did you get that part of the steering wheel off to look at the functions on the inside?
Instructions for taking off the airbag here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=109892

Quick Reply: Electrical Multi Function Steering Wheel