Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Header/High Flow cat advice please.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 06:33 AM
Lakersam88
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CornerHugger
I have had the Vibrant GESI cat and a Mini Madness header for a few years now. It's excellent. Never a CEL.

I have an OBX header with the stock cat welded in if you are interested. Would sell for real cheap.
interested, please pm or text 8132402904

Old 04-20-2020, 11:07 AM
Vernon29RW
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I've had one of Jan's shorty headers on my car since 2011. I don't drive my car much, haven't in the last 4 or 5 years. I've had it on and off my car multiple times because the check engine light comes on every time I install it. I bought it from a guy on here back then who swore he never had a CEL issue with it ( which I never believed). I've installed O2 simulators with no luck. When I put the stock manifold in, the light stays off. I just ordered a replacement rear O2 sensor to replace the one in my car now (because the harness is all chopped up from splicing in the O2 sim) and a J-Bung. Hoping that just pulling the O2 sensor out of the exhaust stream will be enough to keep the light off. I love the sound the RMW shorty gives but hate the check engine light it throws!!

Old 04-20-2020, 10:56 PM
Mini_Crazy
3rd Gear
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts
I bought one of Jan's shorty headers (used) five years ago. The previous owner said he had no CEL lights. After a few months, I started getting occasional lights. A J-Bung reduced the frequency but didn't cure the issue. Like Vernon said, it was irritating.

I contacted Jan, and he said he had switched to the Vibrant GESI cat because of problems with the prior Borla-sourced cat, and he offered to update mine if I shipped it to him. Did so, and haven't had any lights since. After that, I upgraded to a RMW 1.8L stroker motor, the Eaton TVS supercharger, and a few other bits. I've been at 284 peak HP for more than a year now. Reliable daily driver, and no lights with the same RMW shorty. A header raises the noise level all by itself, and can be loud inside the car, but combined with the JCW cat-back (that a lot of folks normally consider a bit quiet with the OEM header), I think it's perfect.

Last edited by Mini_Crazy; 04-22-2020 at 08:56 AM.