Drivetrain (Cooper S) MINI Cooper S (R53) intakes, exhausts, pulleys, headers, throttle bodies, and any other modifications to the Cooper S drivetrain.

Drivetrain Time for a new clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:34 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Time for a new clutch

Sooner than later I will need to replace the clutch. I can clearly hear and feel the clutch slipping and making a shuddering sound on 1st and 2nd at 60 to 75% throttle. I have been reading everything I can about all the options available and I think I will either do a lightweight flywheel and heavy duty clutch (Exedy or ACT) or the Valeo kit. From what I've read here on NAM the Valeo is as close to the OEM in terms of driving feel.

My car has a few modifications:

camshaft, 550cc injectors, 15% pulley, Mines tune, M7 intercooler, CAI, custom header, full cat back etc. (Thanks Phil for selling me such an awesome ride)

My question is, will the Valeo kit be strong enough for the above modifications or should I get an ACT or Exedy with proper torque rating? My thing about the lightweight FW and Clutch kit is that it may be too noisy or create too much chatter (the car is very noisy as it is). I call it the rattle box. But I still love it.

Do you think I may blowing the noise issue out of proportion? What do you recommend from your own experience? ACT or Exedy?

ONE IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Who in or near Bellingham, WA do you recommend to do this job? Anyone? Any information is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by mininuke; 08-14-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:53 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Anybody out there?

Old 08-15-2011, 01:03 PM
K20K1LLA
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Valeo kit will be strong enough to support those mods. However if you plan on doin more in the future I would recommend the Exedy or ACT. That's a pretty big job so if you have to do it, might as well save the hassle (and money) in the future and do it right the first time. FWIW I just put an Exedy in my car and I can't be happier. Pedal feel is very similar to stock with engagement points similar as well.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:38 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by K20K1LLA
The Valeo kit will be strong enough to support those mods. However if you plan on doin more in the future I would recommend the Exedy or ACT. That's a pretty big job so if you have to do it, might as well save the hassle (and money) in the future and do it right the first time. FWIW I just put an Exedy in my car and I can't be happier. Pedal feel is very similar to stock with engagement points similar as well.

Hi,

Did you noticed a difference when accelerating? Does it rev faster? How long of a breaking period for the setup? Can you recommend a vendor?

Thank you.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:14 PM
K20K1LLA
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't been revving it much as the clutch needs 750mi to break in but early signs suggest that it is a little quicker revving. I have noticed that taking off takes some getting used to as the lighter mass doesn't hold revs as easy. That's completely normal and to be expected from a lightweight flywheel. As far as the vendor, I actually bought mine from Amazon.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:58 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by K20K1LLA
I haven't been revving it much as the clutch needs 750mi to break in but early signs suggest that it is a little quicker revving. I have noticed that taking off takes some getting used to as the lighter mass doesn't hold revs as easy. That's completely normal and to be expected from a lightweight flywheel. As far as the vendor, I actually bought mine from Amazon.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm going to check Amazon to see what they got.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:50 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 757 Likes on 618 Posts
The Exedy will definetly rev faster as it is one of the lightest available, if not the lightest. But we have seen them have very stiff pedals so be ready for that as they have a stiff pressure plate. Good luck getting that info from Amazon.

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | IE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

Last edited by WayMotorWorks; 08-15-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:40 PM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WayMotorWorks
The Exedy will definetly rev faster as it is one of the lightest available, if not the lightest. But we have seen them have very stiff pedals so be ready for that as they have a stiff pressure plate. Good luck getting that info from Amazon.
Good to know, thanks. Amazon is good place to find stuff but their product description and/or information is always pretty vague.

I just got a quote of $1100 for just the labor here locally by a reputable shop. Is that reasonable?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:58 PM
luseboy
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mininuke
Good to know, thanks. Amazon is good place to find stuff but their product description and/or information is always pretty vague.

I just got a quote of $1100 for just the labor here locally by a reputable shop. Is that reasonable?
I personally don't know about the exedy clutch (or others really, but I need one soon too, it's starting to slip a bit). But 1100 is an excellent price. I was quoted $3500 by one guy (), 1600 by another, and 1200 by a guy I know (this was with a bit of a discount as well). As such, I have decided to do it myself. But that is a good price!

Old 08-16-2011, 06:20 AM
mininuke
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by luseboy
I personally don't know about the exedy clutch (or others really, but I need one soon too, it's starting to slip a bit). But 1100 is an excellent price. I was quoted $3500 by one guy (), 1600 by another, and 1200 by a guy I know (this was with a bit of a discount as well). As such, I have decided to do it myself. But that is a good price!
$3500? That is crazy! Good luck with your car.