Exhaust Options

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 09:16 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Exhaust Options

Has anything been released for the Cooper yet?

Old 02-05-2015, 10:50 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Even if there was, it would be a waste of money.

Have a straight pipe welded in place of the muffler, $100 later...you have an amazing sounding Cooper. I've gotten so many compliments on how my car sounds with this setup...it's amazing such a tiny little motor can make such great noise. You would think with no muffler it would be way loud...but it's not at all, the turbo muffles the sound quite a bit.

I keep meaning to get a sound clip of it, but haven't got around to it. Maybe today I'll try.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:52 AM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
I'm just a bit hesitant to modify stock parts. I try to use bolt on parts wherever possible so I can put it back to stock when I sell it. I'd also really like to have an exhaust with an electronic valve like the JCW so I don't always have to deal with it if I don't feel like it.

Old 02-06-2015, 07:29 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
I'm just a bit hesitant to modify stock parts. I try to use bolt on parts wherever possible so I can put it back to stock when I sell it. I'd also really like to have an exhaust with an electronic valve like the JCW so I don't always have to deal with it if I don't feel like it.
True, but if you find a local shop like ours that installs lots of aftermarket exhausts, they'll have OEM ones lying around that they'll be happy to get rid of.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:47 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by VicSkimmr
I saved the muffler...its easy and cheap enough to have them just weld it back up when I get rid of the car. Lol....my car is a lease too...

Old 02-06-2015, 10:54 AM
TheBigNewt
OVERDRIVE
Received 103 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Even if there was, it would be a waste of money.

Have a straight pipe welded in place of the muffler, $100 later...you have an amazing sounding Cooper. I've gotten so many compliments on how my car sounds with this setup...it's amazing such a tiny little motor can make such great noise. You would think with no muffler it would be way loud...but it's not at all, the turbo muffles the sound quite a bit.

I keep meaning to get a sound clip of it, but haven't got around to it. Maybe today I'll try.
Great idea, I never "heard" of anyone doing that. What possessed you to try it? I'll have to admit the F56 MCS my friend has has a VERY quiet exhaust note.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:39 AM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Great idea, I never "heard" of anyone doing that. What possessed you to try it? I'll have to admit the F56 MCS my friend has has a VERY quiet exhaust note.
Well ever since I heard the first F56 3 cyl...I loved the exhaust note, but it was just soooo quiet. It had good tone, but you can barely hear it. Turbo cars are generally on the quieter side, as the turbo muffles the note pretty substantially. The FIAT Abarth is a 1.4L turbo and comes from the factory mufflerless, and they sound awesome. That mixed with the fact that this is only a 3 cyl 1.5 liter, I figured it wouldn't be that loud so I tried it. Even the exhaust shop that did it was suprised at how liveable it still is, but how deep it is now. There is 0 drone and its really only loud in boost.

I got some video clips from an iPhone yesterday, so they are not the best but I will have to post them up soon when I get around to it.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:52 PM
VicSkimmr
6th Gear
The Abarth has no muffler? Well that settles that, I loved the Abarth exhaust sound to death. I figured it would be louder.

Last edited by VicSkimmr; 02-08-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Diana De Van
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Muffler, pipe, exhaust , catback etc- pretty confusing stuff other than the fact that I too crave a gruntier sound from my beloved and unique 1.5L motor! I think you may have saved me $$ thanks ThumperMCS. I'm going to approach a local tuning shop who helped me out with an older GTI. Sounds like simple metal work that doesn't have to be performed by Mini ?

Old 02-11-2015, 01:52 PM
ThumperMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Diana De Van
Muffler, pipe, exhaust , catback etc- pretty confusing stuff other than the fact that I too crave a gruntier sound from my beloved and unique 1.5L motor! I think you may have saved me $$ thanks ThumperMCS. I'm going to approach a local tuning shop who helped me out with an older GTI. Sounds like simple metal work that doesn't have to be performed by Mini ?
Anyone that can weld and has a pipe bender can do the job

Old 02-25-2015, 08:23 AM
Mc_chra
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mini cooper

I have a 2012 base model and I want to straight pipe what size should I use can it damage the motor and how much performance will I gain or lose?

Old 03-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Diana De Van
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ThumperMCS
Anyone that can weld and has a pipe bender can do the job
I had my muffler delete done today (I was holding out for the upcoming Quicksilver exhaust for the 3 cylinder but was swayed by this thread!).
Well it sounds awesome
Deep and throaty.
I'm only home to post this then out driving again for the aural pleasures!

Thanks for the excellent recommendation.
Here in Canada I was charged $ 200 and they added a hanger support.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:06 PM
lsmith42
2nd Gear
I had my muffler delete done today (I was holding out for the upcoming Quicksilver exhaust for the 3 cylinder but was swayed by this thread!).
Well it sounds awesome
Deep and throaty.

How is it on the highway at human speeds?

Old 04-01-2015, 07:06 AM
kevpem
Neutral
Is it the centre box (part 1 in the below) that you guys have replaced with a straight pipe or the back box? (I'm in the UK so I'm not sure the US terms muffler etc...)

I'm currently looking at the QuickSilver exhaust but if it's as easy as removing the centre box then I'll give that a go first.

Exhaust Options-ihkbjp6.png

Last edited by kevpem; 04-01-2015 at 07:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 06:00 PM
Diskz
1st Gear
Well it sounds awesome
Deep and throaty.

That sounds awesome! I'm in Toronto and have been looking for one. Where were you able to get it done? I can't seem to find anywhere to get it done at.
Thanks!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:21 PM
Diana De Van
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lsmith42
How is it on the highway at human speeds?
Absolutely fine - I do nothing other than "human" speeds to avoid the subhuman fines! It actually seems to be quieter at speed - no doubt as I'm in a higher gear doing less revs. It never prevents me from enjoying the fine HK stereo

Old 04-22-2015, 07:22 PM
Diana De Van
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by kevpem
Is it the centre box (part 1 in the below) that you guys have replaced with a straight pipe or the back box? (I'm in the UK so I'm not sure the US terms muffler etc...)

I'm currently looking at the QuickSilver exhaust but if it's as easy as removing the centre box then I'll give that a go first.

My rear, larger box was the unit removed (the back box). Quite a heavy thing and I'm glad to be rid of it.

Old 04-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Diana De Van
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Diskz
That sounds awesome! I'm in Toronto and have been looking for one. Where were you able to get it done? I can't seem to find anywhere to get it done at.
Thanks!
I went to a rather generic looking exhaust/muffler shop in an industrial part of town (Richmond,BC). They performed the mod as I waited and sat in their lounge on what looked liked 50 year old furniture. No free coffee or anything Apparently any exhaust business that can do basic cutting and welding should be able to perform the job. Good luck!

Old 04-25-2015, 08:28 AM
bluvw69
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just had my muffler deleted today and I'm addicted to the new sound. The shop was able to re-use the original exhaust tip for the factory look and all the work took less than an hour. SO glad I found this thread before I bought an expensive aftermarket system.

Old 04-26-2015, 05:52 AM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 293 Likes on 222 Posts
Originally Posted by bluvw69
Just had my muffler deleted today and I'm addicted to the new sound. The shop was able to re-use the original exhaust tip for the factory look and all the work took less than an hour. SO glad I found this thread before I bought an expensive aftermarket system.
Nice isn't it? Now you can actually hear the car a bit, yes?

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 05-25-2015, 12:48 PM
Swedish
Neutral
Hi, new member on this forum, really enjoying reading all great info on this forum. I will soon get my F55 Cooper.

I found this video with resonator and muffler delete, this engine i really sounds great. Personally I plan to go for muffler delete only. Have you any recomendation on exhaust tips, dual (one on each side) or twin on one side? http://youtu.be/fp7g6vPqOl4

They are now offering ECU tunes for Cooper (full BMW F-series range). I have an offer from ZIP tuning: http://www.ziptuning.se/pdf/pdf.php?mod=car&mid=12426&lang_id=SE&stage_code=S1 CH1&crm_id=170106

Personally I think Cooper is the sweet spot in the new Mini range. Light weight engine with character, great sound and tuning potential. Reminds me of when BMW 335i with N54 engine was the best choice in the model range, look at the engine specs in the new M3/M4...

BR
/Swede

Old 06-03-2015, 01:53 PM
Swedish
Neutral
Originally Posted by Swedish
Hi, new member on this forum, really enjoying reading all great info on this forum. I will soon get my F55 Cooper.

I found this video with resonator and muffler delete, this engine i really sounds great. Personally I plan to go for muffler delete only. Have you any recomendation on exhaust tips, dual (one on each side) or twin on one side? http://youtu.be/fp7g6vPqOl4

They are now offering ECU tunes for Cooper (full BMW F-series range). I have an offer from ZIP tuning: http://www.ziptuning.se/pdf/pdf.php?mod=car&mid=12426&lang_id=SE&stage_code=S1 CH1&crm_id=170106

Personally I think Cooper is the sweet spot in the new Mini range. Light weight engine with character, great sound and tuning potential. Reminds me of when BMW 335i with N54 engine was the best choice in the model range, look at the engine specs in the new M3/M4...

BR
/Swede
Bump

Old 06-03-2015, 03:00 PM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
^ I don't know, I just drove a tuned 4 cylinder and it was jätte härligt.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:43 AM
Swedish
Neutral
Hej Erik, det var länge sen! Jag köpte en piggyback till min 335 av er 2008...

Old 06-04-2015, 07:07 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Kanon! Bor du fortfarande is Sverige?

Quick Reply: Exhaust Options