1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Acquired a 03 MCS

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 03:11 PM
shahriar35
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Acquired a 03 MCS

Good afternoon all,

So last week I purchased a 2003 Mini Cooper S in Missouri with 85,000 miles. I'm the 3rd owner. The second owner put a lot of miles on her about 45k in a year and a half, his daily commute was 125 miles, so he racked on the miles.

I know he added a K&N filter, from the looks of it, it seems that he removed the cover and slapped on a filter. He also installed a 15% pulley.

The car runs well other than the common squeak here and there.

Personally the car was purchased for my wife to be, but I cant keep my hands from wanting to modify it some more, her simple rule is that as long as I do not lower her I'm okay.

I'm hoping that the car is reliable enough to make the commute from Kansas City to Los Angeles in a couple of months when I go back home.

I have been around cars most of my adult life and have done majority of my own repairs.

I also have a 2000 Acura Integra Type R with a JRSC, a 1995 Honda Accord wagon with a H22 Type S, 1998 BMW M3 sedan, and lastly a 2001 Ducati 900SS. Some of which are going to be sold upon my return.

I was wondering if I should take the Mini to a dealership and have the pre-purchase inspection for my piece of mind. But regardless, my lady always wanted a Mini, at least before we have kids. I'm glad she allowed it to be a 6 speed.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:45 AM
Aelwulf
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome! I'd recommend the inspection just in case. I just bought a 2009 JCW with 60k miles, 3rd owner as well, and plan to get it inspected when I get back for the same reason. It helps to know exactly what you're looking at for a starting point even if things seem to be running pretty well. The independent shop I'm taking mine to did a quick visual and OBD check on it for free before I left and didn't see anything much other than an odd code light I pointed out he couldn't figure out without a better check and a rear side light out I had thought was just a reflector.

Hope it works out for both of you, enjoy it!

Old 08-22-2014, 06:02 AM
Ygritte
Neutral
Welcome to the community, remember to wave!

Keep in mind that A LOT of MINIs have little squeaks and rattles, especially manuals. But unless it's predominately loud (like a tractor almost), you don't need to worry about it. My best decision in years was to purchase my cooper. I've done a couple mods here and there, including a single 12 inch sub in the back (just for a little kick, not car shaking or anything).

Many of the maintenance services from the dealer for MINIs can be overpriced, therefore I recommend doing them on your own (serpentine belt inspections/replacements, oil changes, etc). I've come to find that once you figure out how to do it once, it's just as easy, if not easier, than most American cars.

Blue skies!

Old 08-22-2014, 06:35 AM
shahriar35
2nd Gear
Thank you guys for the warm welcoming. Yea the noises are not too bad.

I just realized the controls behind the steering wheel, made my day!

Now I have to for use get an adapter for the new stereo I will be installing.

The previous owner said the steering wheel had a weird reaction to the cleaner that was used, which caused the top layer of the "leather" to bubble, so its time for a new steering wheel.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:03 AM
Grizld700
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd take it and have it inspected, they see the cars all the time and know what common things to look for. That way you have a good idea what is needed. Plus KC to LA isn't exactly a short trip and a service center with MINI knowledge, should you need one, will be very limited during your trip. Peace of mind.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:09 AM
JABowders
6th Gear
Received 177 Likes on 166 Posts
Welcome to the MINIacs!

And from your explainable desire to MOD the car already is a sure sign you belong here...

Yes, by all means have your favorite Tech conduct a full inspection, better safe than sorry. Plus afterward you will have a really great understanding of the overall condition of the car.

Motor on!

Old 08-22-2014, 07:26 AM
Ygritte
Neutral
Originally Posted by shahriar35
I just realized the controls behind the steering wheel, made my day!

Now I have to for use get an adapter for the new stereo I will be installing.

The previous owner said the steering wheel had a weird reaction to the cleaner that was used, which caused the top layer of the "leather" to bubble, so its time for a new steering wheel.
Be VERY careful putting in an aftermarket stereo/steering wheel. A lot of MINIs (other forum members would know better than I do which ones) store information inside the radio that dealerships and mechanics use. Replacing the stock head unit can cause your steering wheel buttons to malfunction (different voltage readings after replacing it) and error messages in your cars data. I believe there's a thread somewhere regarding which generation of MINIs are compatible with aftermarket replacements and which ones are not.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:51 AM
shahriar35
2nd Gear
Thank you for the advice, I ordered the boost wire from newministuff for the kenwood, lets see how it works out.

Old 09-21-2014, 09:14 PM
shahriar35
2nd Gear
Can anyone help with the adapter harness from newministuff, I wired it up and the head unit is working, but thats just using the adapter, but what about the additional plugs they provide and actually getting the steering controls to work? Is there a write for it?

Also, how do you get the antenna cable to work, the adapter from crutchfield doesnt seem to plug into the OEM cable. Do I need to take off the small square on the antenna connection?