1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New R50 owner in CT

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New R50 owner in CT

Since driving my friend's 02 M50 out in California on vacation, the MINI Cooper has been on my short list of cars to replace my Jetta TDI as a daily driver. Nothing wrong with that car, but after 180,000 miles, and some life changes, I felt the desire for a something different, and less pedestrian. When I saw a BRG 2002 with 121,000 miles and a blown trans on Craigslist for $1,500, I had to check it out. I was going to look at another car that day, and had the cash on hand, so I bought it on the spot. It was a lovingly cared for, one owner car that found it's way into the hands of the owners son for the past six months. New, young driver plus Midlands box equals shrapnel.
The next day, I brought the car home on a borrowed trailer, and set it in the driveway. The day after that (New Years Eve), I got it up on jacks, stripped the modular subframe, and pondered a drivetrain extraction, or dropping the subframe and pulling the trans by itself. I only had a few hours that day to work because of a New Years Party I was hosting. New Years Day, the engine and trans came out as a unit. The Bently manual I had ordered obviously had not arrived yet, and with what I could gather from the internet, and my own observations, it was 6 one, half dozen the other. At least this way I'd be spending almost no time on my back.
It wasn't a particularly difficult job, but the fact that I needed to remove either the engine, or the subframe to get the trans out, made me wish to do it once, and do it right. So I'm going for the Getrag 6 speed conversion. I bought a 2005 R53 box WITH LSD and 50,000 miles for $1,300 shipped. While this will be a commuter, I figured the LSD will be a plus in the snow (car also has DSC). I obviously have a lot more stuff to buy (including tires), but I'm feeling pretty good about what I have for the money. I'm thinking I'll be on the road for about $4k. My TDI is worth more than that on a bad day, so I'm even going to be ahead there. Granted this car will likely give me a lot more headaches than the one it replaces, but the TDI was reliable to the point of being boring.
Pics of the $1,500 MINI Cooper:

Attached Thumbnails New R50 owner in CT-img_0122.jpg   New R50 owner in CT-img_0135.jpg   New R50 owner in CT-img_0143.jpg  
Old 01-02-2011, 09:31 AM
HRM
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are the car seem to be a great match. If you read the forum, you will find the few things to look out for and it sounds like you will be able to handle them all.

One caution though, your $4K car can become more expensive just with optional upgrades, so..be forwarned...and have fun.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
HRM, I'll take your warnings on the expense of upgrades, and consider myself forewarned. Of course, with my entry price, I have some room in my budget for fun. I actually got a set of S-Lites (actually the later '07 version with the full cap) on eBay for $310 shipped. I am not considering this an upgrade per-se, since I want to use my 16's for dedicated snow/ice tires. Gee, I don't have a wife, so why am I trying to justify this? Anyway, thanks for the reply, this site is becoming my new best friend.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Vollgas
6th Gear
Welcome.
You have been busy.
Sounds like you have done your homework.
Good luck on the swapout.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Busy, yes. But then again, it's a long weekend.
I'm still sketchy on the details of this swap. I know I need the S flywheel, clutch, halfshafts, slave cylinder, shifter cables, trans mount, and starter. The airbox won't be a bolt in, and I'm not really interested in an open element filter. I'm sure I'm missing something, but while I'm waiting for parts, I'll have time for more research to fill in the blanks.

Old 01-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
There is a very good thread by TSW (Texas Speed Werks) on the swap out.
It sounds like you have found it.
You seem to have all the parts you are going to need.
I know there are some special tools that are needed.
While you are doing shift cables, might think of a quick shift linkage also.
Just think, when you get done, you will have a real nice ride.
Happy Motoring for the future ride.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
That thread (found via Google search) is what brought me to NAM. I have read it twice already. I don't have all of the parts yet, just the transmission. I was just referring to the big items I'll need. I'm finding that eBay, of all places, seems to have competitive deals on the flywheel, and right now I'm considering the T6 Fidanza, which is 14lbs, I believe. A stock type clutch should be fine, and have found deals there as well. I actually sourced the trans from an eBay seller. I'm going to call them tomorrow, and see if they have the axles, starter and shifter cables from that car. I like Rock Auto, and will go to them for the new stuff, such as slave cylinder and shafts if I have to buy new.

As for the special tools, I was able to get the shifter cables off with a pair of screwdrivers, and a lot of swearing. The spline protectors sound like money well spent. I have eyeballed clutch disks before, with great success. If my clutch kit doesn't come with an allignment tool, I'll eyeball it. Nice thing about pulling the motor, is that I'll be mating the two on the bench, not in the car, so if I don't get it right the first time, no big deal.

Great tip on the short shift linkage - now would be the time to do it, and I think I'd really like that mod. It's going on my list.

Old 01-02-2011, 01:51 PM
Vollgas
6th Gear
rwilde has some clutch cylinders for sale in the Marketplace.
Check Mini Madness for clutch & flywheel system.
They had a Stage 2 system for sale during the holidays.
They might honor price for another week if you ask them.
I found some nice driveshalfs listed on ebay.
$180.00 NEW ea. Not Rebuilds
Check Calif. Starter (also on ebay) for R53 starter, less than $100.00.
Good luck on part finding.
Need any help, just ask.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:41 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blackbomber
Since driving my friend's 02 M50 out in California on vacation, the MINI Cooper has been on my short list of cars to replace my Jetta TDI as a daily driver. Nothing wrong with that car, but after 180,000 miles, and some life changes, I felt the desire for a something different, and less pedestrian. When I saw a BRG 2002 with 121,000 miles and a blown trans on Craigslist for $1,500, I had to check it out. I was going to look at another car that day, and had the cash on hand, so I bought it on the spot. It was a lovingly cared for, one owner car that found it's way into the hands of the owners son for the past six months. New, young driver plus Midlands box equals shrapnel.
The next day, I brought the car home on a borrowed trailer, and set it in the driveway. The day after that (New Years Eve), I got it up on jacks, stripped the modular subframe, and pondered a drivetrain extraction, or dropping the subframe and pulling the trans by itself. I only had a few hours that day to work because of a New Years Party I was hosting. New Years Day, the engine and trans came out as a unit. The Bently manual I had ordered obviously had not arrived yet, and with what I could gather from the internet, and my own observations, it was 6 one, half dozen the other. At least this way I'd be spending almost no time on my back.
It wasn't a particularly difficult job, but the fact that I needed to remove either the engine, or the subframe to get the trans out, made me wish to do it once, and do it right. So I'm going for the Getrag 6 speed conversion. I bought a 2005 R53 box WITH LSD and 50,000 miles for $1,300 shipped. While this will be a commuter, I figured the LSD will be a plus in the snow (car also has DSC). I obviously have a lot more stuff to buy (including tires), but I'm feeling pretty good about what I have for the money. I'm thinking I'll be on the road for about $4k. My TDI is worth more than that on a bad day, so I'm even going to be ahead there. Granted this car will likely give me a lot more headaches than the one it replaces, but the TDI was reliable to the point of being boring.
Pics of the $1,500 MINI Cooper:
The very best of the best to you.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:45 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Volgas, thanks for all the great tips on sources. I'll look into them all.

Kathy, thanks for the well wishes. I like the color of your car. I don't believe I've ever seen one that color in person. MINI's aren't rare where I live, per-se, but I could go a week or more without seeing one. Quite the contrast from when I was in LA, and you saw them at every intersection.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Kathy1946
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Blackbomber
Volgas, thanks for all the great tips on sources. I'll look into them all.

Kathy, thanks for the well wishes. I like the color of your car. I don't believe I've ever seen one that color in person. MINI's aren't rare where I live, per-se, but I could go a week or more without seeing one. Quite the contrast from when I was in LA, and you saw them at every intersection.

Blackbomber,
You are very welcome and thank you.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:20 PM
HRM
6th Gear
Call way from waymotorworks. He always has some parts cars around and may have alot of what you need.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Good suggestion. I saw he had a old post in the conversion thread offering parts to an interested party. It didn't even occur to me to contact them and see what they have currently. That could simplify things.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:39 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by HRM
Call way from waymotorworks. He always has some parts cars around and may have alot of what you need.
Excellent advice.

Congrats on your new-to-you MINI!

Old 01-05-2011, 07:33 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
I just sent Way Motor Works a part request through the website. Thanks for the suggestion.
It would be great to deal with someone who actually knows a thing or two. The wrecker I bought my Getrag from wanted my car's VIN prior to shipping. It took a bit of convincing to assure him that I actually wanted the "wrong" trans for my car.

Old 01-05-2011, 11:30 PM
BensMini
6th Gear
Interesting story, good luck with your new ride.

Old 04-16-2011, 10:37 PM
lizandrooo
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoa dude... Howd it turn out !? I want your brain...

Old 04-19-2011, 07:27 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Oh, THAT project, haha. Geez, I've got my finger in too many pies right now. This one kind of sat all winter, as I've been pretty busy. I did take a half day to get the new flywheel / clutch setup installed, and fit up the transmission. As the engine was out of the car, I had the luxury of doing this on the workbench, as opposed to on my back, which made pulling the entire shebang worthwhile to me. If I had the luxury of a lift, then dropping the K-member might be a better route.

In any case, I went with the Exedy single mass conversion, which wound up being a couple of pounds heavier than the stock R50 flywheel, but better than the 12 or so pounds heavier that the Valeo would have been. Yes, I'd feel more comfortable with a Valeo clutch in there, but this will be just an A to B commuter, so I should be fine. And the price was dirt cheap.

The only thing keeping me from getting the thing on the road at this point (besides a free weekend) is the Bowden cable bracket, and some new output shaft seals. Other than that, I've got everything I need in waiting.

Attached Thumbnails New R50 owner in CT-img_0374-1-.jpg   New R50 owner in CT-img_0383-1-.jpg   New R50 owner in CT-img_0388-1-.jpg  
Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Vollgas
6th Gear
It does take time to do the job right, the first time.
Getting all the special bits, nuts, brackets, etc is a pain.
While you have engine out, check the crankshaft damper for any excessive wear.
Would be good time to swap it out for a ATI fluid damper.
Less mass for crank to turn.
Will rev much quicker than with OEM damper.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:28 AM
valvashon
5th Gear
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Hats off to you sir, for keeping a high mileage '02 R50 on the road! It's a car most MINI "enthusiasts" would consider nothing more than parts. Nice find for the price, and just a reminder- BRG/W is the best combination ever.

Welcome to the MINI community, and we all look forward to seeing you on the road.

Val

Old 05-11-2011, 04:48 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Wow, I didn't realize just how tight my schedule was until I tried to do button up this conversion. I got a half day on Saturday to play with, so I dropped the drivetrain back in the car. Simply connect a few pipes, wires and hoses, and it's off and running, right? Wrong! I ran into an issue with the shifter cables that is perplexing. The cables are simply too short. I'm using the stock cables and lug (as installed), and Bowden bracket 23-11-7-509-737 (supplied by dealer). According to the Bentley manual, I see no provision for adjustment. And I'm not wanting to drop the exhaust to check unless I need to. So either the bracket, the cables, or my information is wrong. Since the cables are original to the car, and all information points to them being identical to the Cooper S parts, I'm wondering if there might be more than one Bowden cable bracket that would look right for this application. The angles are good (as opposed to the one from the Midlands). Could I have the wrong part here? Any suggestions? This kind of sucks, because the car is ready to rock, except that I can only get two gears (3rd and 5th, I think).

Old 05-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Nevermind. A search here showed several people confirming that I do need "S" shifter cables, which makes sense. I don't know why two suppliers I checked listed the parts the same for both cars. Maybe I was looking at later getrag equipped Coopers, not Midlands. Anyhow, it's off to grab the angle grinder, and get those exhaust bolts cut off.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
It's done, car is on the road, and drives great! I wouldn't do this swap pre-emptively to replace a functioning Midlands, but if you need to replace the transmission anyway, it's no tougher than a stock swap (assuming you will change clutch in the process). Ok, dropping the exhaust to change out the shifter cables isn't my idea of fun, but that was really the only extra thing I can think of, besides the reverse light, which is no biggie.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:40 PM
lizandrooo
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Incredible!!! did you study to be a mechanic or have you been working on german cars all your life ? I admire your work to the fullest! did you take anymore pictures while it was apart ?

Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 PM
HRM
6th Gear
More pics bomber? Maybe you having fun instead of getting greasy?

Ride in good health.

Quick Reply: New R50 owner in CT