Mini jack question

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2024, 07:56 AM
stokessd
1st Gear
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Mini jack question

I have an F54 clubman with the spare wheel and jack option. The spare wheel has a foam insert in it with cutouts for the older style jack and tools. However it’s completely empty and they bolted down (with a strap) a complete second set of tools and jack. The combination of these two items completely fills the lower storage area and I’d like to consolidate and get some storage back.

the new jack is a more traditional scissor jack and from what I’ve seen in pictures of the old jack, it’s more of a diagonal lift.

So my question is, can I use the older “R” series jack with my “F” series mini? Was there something special under the car to interface the old and odd looking jack that I don’t have? This is our third mini and the first mini jack we’ve had.

thanks,
Sheldon

Old 05-27-2024, 01:33 PM
CrusherDave
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought a 2020 F-55 with run-flats - so no jack - scissor or diagonal. However, I had a 2003 BMW 525 and a 2005 BMW 330i both the with diagonal "jack of death".

I can confirm that the diagonal jack fits the indents under the Mini and works as advertised. In fact, much of the 5-series tools are going to be acquired by the Mini

You might try a junkyard or ask around the BMW forums if anyone has an extra. I think BMW is mighty proud of a new jack......

Hope that helps!

Old 05-27-2024, 03:39 PM
stokessd
1st Gear
Thanks for the info, I bought a diagonal jack from ebay for $35. The spare tire and tools I got with my clubman is really dumb. The spare tire is on the right of the subfloor storage bin and there is a foam insert with tool cutouts in the tire with a plastic cover over the foam insert. The retaining bolt screws through a depression in the plastic cover holding everything to the car floor. To the left of the tire is another foam block with the new scissor jack and handle and such in it. It is restrained to the floor with a strap which is bolted to the floor under the foam block.

The new scissor jack is too large to fit in the spare tire so they made this other foam block. The foam insert in the tire is completely empty!

So the entire sub-floor storage area is consumed by both pieces. All the tools in the foam block except the scissor jack and it's handle fit right into the foam insert inside the wheel. So with a diagonal jack, I can ditch the foam block and reclaim about 40% of the storage area back and also retain the ability to not have runflats.

Here's a picture of the kit from realoem:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=71_0900

Thanks a lot for your reply, I didn't think anything had changed, but that weird diagonal jack was giving me flashbacks to my youth and old bumper jacks.

Sheldon

Old 05-28-2024, 08:51 AM
CrusherDave
Neutral
You had to bring up bumper jacks.....

As "bad" as the diagonal jacks are, they really perform well as long as you are on hard flat ground. I took to carrying a small piece of plywood just in case. And they are head and shoulders above a bumper jack.....

Glad you found an adequate replacement.

Old 05-28-2024, 12:59 PM
daafisch
Neutral
Originally Posted by stokessd
Thanks for the info, I bought a diagonal jack from ebay for $35. The spare tire and tools I got with my clubman is really dumb. The spare tire is on the right of the subfloor storage bin and there is a foam insert with tool cutouts in the tire with a plastic cover over the foam insert. The retaining bolt screws through a depression in the plastic cover holding everything to the car floor. To the left of the tire is another foam block with the new scissor jack and handle and such in it. It is restrained to the floor with a strap which is bolted to the floor under the foam block.

The new scissor jack is too large to fit in the spare tire so they made this other foam block. The foam insert in the tire is completely empty!

So the entire sub-floor storage area is consumed by both pieces. All the tools in the foam block except the scissor jack and it's handle fit right into the foam insert inside the wheel. So with a diagonal jack, I can ditch the foam block and reclaim about 40% of the storage area back and also retain the ability to not have runflats.

Here's a picture of the kit from realoem:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=71_0900

Thanks a lot for your reply, I didn't think anything had changed, but that weird diagonal jack was giving me flashbacks to my youth and old bumper jacks.

Sheldon
Could you link me to the jack you got? I have the same "issue" as you and would love to reclaim some under storage but still have a jack option for when I get rid of these run flats.

Old 05-29-2024, 06:31 PM
stokessd
1st Gear
I did an ebay search for "mini cooper jack". Here's an example of what I bought (although I just bought the jack by itself:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25652112077...mis&media=COPY

You might want to wait a few days until I get mine. I have no reason to think that it won't work, but I'll try it firsthand and report back if you'd like. I've got to believe that the newer scissor jack is more stable and more usable on rough or uneven surfaces.

Sheldon

The following users liked this post:
daafisch (05-29-2024)
Old 05-29-2024, 06:39 PM
daafisch
Neutral
Originally Posted by stokessd
I did an ebay search for "mini cooper jack". Here's an example of what I bought (although I just bought the jack by itself:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/25652112077...mis&media=COPY

You might want to wait a few days until I get mine. I have no reason to think that it won't work, but I'll try it firsthand and report back if you'd like. I've got to believe that the newer scissor jack is more stable and more usable on rough or uneven surfaces.

Sheldon
Thanks. Yeah, let me know how it fits. I assume the scissor jack will be more stable but I would love to get some of the items out of my rear door pockets that don't fit right.

Old 05-30-2024, 03:46 PM
stokessd
1st Gear
I got my ebay jack today and was able to effortlessly (well pretty simply) jack up my clubman with the diagonal jack. I would never dream of getting under the car with that spindly little thing holding it, but it seems to do a reasonably nice job for emergency tire changing.

Here's a bunch of pics in case this topic comes up in search again. This is probably way too much info for such a simple topic, but here we are.

Here's what my clubman lower storage looks like with the stock tire and jack as received from the dealer:

Stock 2024 Clubman spare and jack

Completely empty foam insert

Populated foam insert with older jack

Space saved by going with the older jack

The following users liked this post:
daafisch (05-30-2024)
Old 05-31-2024, 08:07 AM
daafisch
Neutral
Great. Thanks for the pics! I'll probably end up doing the same to get back some storage. I'm sure the scissor jack is safer but there is almost zero chance I'd get under the car with a scissor jack either, so just need something for that emergency tire change.