Smooth ride no more, tyre issue?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 12:47 PM
wlondoner
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smooth ride no more, tyre issue?

Hey so I'm sure it's not just me being over the top my 2014 F56 Cooper D Hatch is running a bit loud on its tyres and it doesn't feel as comfy as it used to.

It used to glide on the road but now it seems to be a bit crashy (a bit like my old R56 naturally was) and not smooth
I've had this car a year and it's been the last 4 months I've noticed this in that time it passed an MOT no issues so I'm wondering what could be going on?
I believe there may be a wheel bearing that needs to be replaced (as the sound I'm hearing) but this wouldn't effect the drive would it? And surely that would get picked up on MOT (MOT was done by MINI themselves 3 weeks ago)

The tyres are cheap brand (I didn't put them on) but they have life left in them as didn't come up on MOT as low (but I reckon they are 4mm or less now

Is it likely a tyre or 2 is out of circle / out of shape?
Of the wheel allignment or would this have nothing to do with this?
Wheels need balancing? Do these things help the ride?
I also thought is it the heat? But it's been like it since at least April so I don't think it was warm then!

My car has adaptive dampers. Green/mid mode on most of the time no different to how I used to have it when the car drove smooth

Tyre pressures are maintained I do it regularly so I don't think it's this

Car is brilliant other than this i could put it into MINI for £85 to look at it but they may say just need branded tyres.

I think I'm only a bit concerned as the F56 is generally a very comfy ride (for a MINI)

Anyone else had similar or can offer advice? Thanks

Old 07-21-2018, 07:40 PM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Cheap tires near end of life should be changed out no matter what. Don't know if it solves your problem but can't hurt. You don't say how many miles on the car. Take car to a reputable tire store and have them inspect for bearing issues, etc.