1st Gear New members: make an initial post and introduce yourself as you shift from Neutral to First Gear. Current members: meet some of the new members.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4questions & a thank you:steering-smooth ride,alarms, cdchanger?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 07:22 AM
ranchopam
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4questions & a thank you:steering-smooth ride,alarms, cdchanger?

Hello All,

I touched on this yesterday - I drove a Cooper for the first time and noticed that the steering seemed stiff and the ride rough. I think it's because it was outfitted with the sports package. I am going to place my order tomorrow with South Bay Mini and what do I need to order - if anything - to make the ride and steering as smooth as possible . My racing days are over.

Also do the cars (is that blasphemous to call the Cooper a car?) come with an alarm system ? I hate the damn things when they go off and have never thought they do much good, but I don't want my red pony stolen.

Anyone have any thoughts about the 6CD changer ? Anything else anyone wishes they had or hadn't ordered

Thanks so much for all your help !

Old 08-18-2005, 07:42 AM
LAMINI
Banned
4 Answers

STEERING Depends on speed: it has one of those electromagnetic steering pumps.
Ride: Runflats suck.
Alarms: they don't come with unless you order one, get lowjack instead.
cd changer: don't bother, it already comes with mp3 player, and if that's not enough get the miniIpod input jack/plug.

Old 08-18-2005, 07:51 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
STEERING: it has hydraulic steering. I don't find it hard to turn. But it is very precise. A small turn of the wheel does alot.
Ride: Runflats suck for comfort. Also you might find you don't like the ride of the Super Sport suspension.
Alarms: Not unless you pay extra. But a MINI like a BMW is a hard car to steal. They either need to have the key or a flat bed truck to pick it up and drag it away.
CD changer: Depends. If you like to keep CDs in a changer then its good. If you like to encode your music on your pc then a MP3 cd in the single disc will do you just fine. Or for $40 (install yourself) add the Aux in and use a ipod or other mp3 player or pda for music.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:07 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I ordered my Cooper with the standard suspension and have 15" holeys w/standard Contis. Back in the day, word was that this was the best setup for a comfortable ride which is what I need because I carry passengers all the time...teenagers. I didn't think it fair to go nuts on what was to be essentially a commuter/milk-run, part-time family car. The ride is still quite stiff and very MINI-esque....and I love it. Anyway, I still think a standard suspension w/ 15" wheels is the best setup for a smooth ride.

Also back in the day....I got an OEM alarm system which has served me very well given where I park. The car is prewired for it and the blinky light on the wiper stalk (moved on '05s??) is nice...I like it and would get it again.

Don't have a 6CD changer so I'm no help there.