Wheels and Tires for Sale (archive) Archived - Wheels and Tires - For Sale

FS: Any interest in 12mm X 1.5 PU tuner lugs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:56 AM
blackie
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
FS: Any interest in 12mm X 1.5 PU tuner lugs?

I'm selling the new items (wrench & key) in another set of threads here, but these rusty lugs are not being sold, not that anyone is beating down my door for them!

I'm not quite sure what I'm doing about these Palo Uber Tuner lugs just yet, or the extra PU wrench and key that I have for them, so let me hear you out there. I may be keeping them, I may be returning them, or I may just be selling them here, but I'll know in about a week or so, so that is why I'm sending out this feeler thread.

I'd want the shipping covered or there is no point in doing this at all, based on my costs and the pricing I'm suggesting, but I would estimate that to be about $7-8 for the lugs and about the same for the wrench (or maybe a dollar or two more) depending on the variables. Apart from that here is the deal (well, maybe it's a deal; you'll decide).

I have these lugs in chrome and while the fit on the wheels is fine, I've had problems with the inner chrome showing rust (the chrome on the inside; it is an open octagonal star-pattern locking lug that requires a special key). The outside and lug treads do not rust (at least it has not shown up since I've had them, but the place where the key fits into the lug for installation or removal certainly does show the rust). I've complained to PU about the problem and I am waiting on a replacement set of supposedly altogether different lugs. The company has said they had a bad production run on the ones I have, but from threads here on NAM you can see this has been an excuse that has been dismissed by a few NAMers as too frequently used (as others had the same sort of problem too; I had it twice). I really have no clue what the problem is with the appearance, but they do function fine. I also have an extra PU telescoping wrench that was intended for use with these lugs and I have an extra key too.

So what is a set of 16 locking tuner lugs (only about 2 months old) that sell by PU to NAM members at $49.95 (and to others at $69.95) that have this flaw of rusty key slots worth? Are they worth it just for the protection and security factor to someone who doesn't give a hoot about the rusty looking inners? That is probably not your typical Mini owner, but that is why I'm here asking.

Some have said these are just over-priced knock-offs or simply re-badged Gorilla lugs, but my own reaserch of the cost of those Gorilla lugs indicated that even the Gorilla brand seems to cost more (as only 4 such locking lugs of theirs seem to retail for $29.99 and often seem to sell for $20 - $25, while the PU set is 16 locking lugs in total). Some have said the same is true of the wrench (which is on the PU site at $69 and I do not see a NAM discount for it offered, although you can get it in a specially priced set with the lugs for about $115). The Gorilla brand wrench that has been said to be the same sells for about $16 and some say the only difference in the wrenches is the badge on it, but so far this is only speculation. An extra PU key sells for $10.

If someone knows different on any of these matters, please pipe up. This thread is about full disclosure; I want potential second owners to know all the facts here. Don't worry, I won't be offended. If you are concerned about the appearance of flaming you can always go the PM route too.

The wrench is an extra I ended up with in this PU affair over the rusting lug matter, so it is perfect (actually new, since I've used the other one only) and comes with a 19mm deep well socket head (although a 17mm socket would also fit over the end and could be used with your standard OEM lugs or any other socket size probably could be used too). So please hear this; there is no rust or anything else wrong with this spare PU wrench (although I did have PU replace the socket head on my other original PU wrench, as it was damaged in use).

Maybe someone wants to experiment on these lugs with their own coating or paint; I really do not know if either is even feasible, but there are plenty of DIYers here, which is one reason I'm asking. Again, there are 16 lugs in total and every single one is a locking lug (rather than every 4th one, which is often typical of locking lug sets).

So? Here is my guess, apart from the shipping, which I already indicated estimates for above.

Extra key (new; see PU site for photo): $7 (I'd guess shipping will probably be about $2 more)

16 locking lugs with key (with rust showing on the inside of the octagonal locking areas - see photo attached here for extent of rust that shows): $22

Telescoping wrench with 19mm deep well socket (and storage sleeve; see PU site for photo): $30

Last edited by blackie; 04-08-2012 at 09:48 AM.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:17 AM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All that, to try and get $30.00?

Old 09-16-2007, 01:25 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimarks
All that, to try and get $30.00?

I guess this sort of comment could have been reasonably anticipated. As I said, the wrench is unused and it is the $30 item (which is less than half the PU site price any way you slice it, even if some think it is another manufacturer's wrench that costs less). I wanted anyone though who might be considering any of these items to know the whole story to avoid confusion or problems with the offer . The key is also unused and someone who has these PU lugs already and may want a spare key saves 30% off the PU site price.

My thinking on pricing these lugs are that they are all locking type lugs and are in otherwise perfect condition (and only 2 months old) other than the rust that I described and photographed, which, by the way, is completely superficial and cosmetic only. The rust that is evident inside the locking head is NOT eating into the lug itself; only the chrome surfacing (which may have been coated on poorly in some way and is the cause) has it, so they are basically priced at $1 per locking lug + $6 for the key that comes with it ($1 less than the key I am selling alone as new).

No question if you purchased these lugs new from a manufacturer you would not be happy (like I'm not happy). The cost of them new though is more than double the amount I suggested, even for NAMers (and again, this is only just a feeler)!!

I don't know if this information helps at all, but I thought any one who may consider buying these should have it. As I suspected, I thought I'd get a few snide comments for listing these items after all the negative posts that PU gets in general (some of it even came from me), as well as ones that were specific to this rust problem.

Again, 2 of the 3 items here were never even used and even the lugs made by Gorilla (that some think are these PU ones) really are considerably more money, if you opted to get 16 locking ones from them. And no, I don't know if the Gorilla ones have or have not rusted in the same way.

Last edited by blackie; 09-16-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:29 PM
minimarks
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 09-16-2007, 09:07 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by minimarks

Well, they are woth a laugh, at least!

Old 09-17-2007, 09:32 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Maybe it's a good thing there is a remarkable lack of interest here, as I may be returning these lugs. Although, I expect the new wrench and key may still well be available.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:28 PM
blackie
6th Gear
Originally Posted by blackie
Maybe it's a good thing there is a remarkable lack of interest here, as I may be returning these lugs. Although, I expect the new wrench and key may still well be available.

Well, I'm probably not returning these lugs, as PU is refusing to take them back. I find their bottom line on the matter appalling. So, maybe it is better no one buys them; they are my problem then and no one else's, no matter how little they pay for them. I will probably list the wrench and key separately though, as the wrench is certainly an improvement over the one that comes as stock (it telescopes, so there is greater leverage) and all it needs is a 17mm socket head and the key is worthwhile to anyone who actually has the lugs and is using them. Again, both are new and unused. I already took the lugs off my car; they deserve a negative review in the review section, which i will get around to soon.