Vendor Announcements Announcments from the Sponsors of North American Motoring. New products, test results, and more.

Cup Holder Platform for iPhone, iPod, and others

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cup Holder Platform for iPhone, iPod, and others

This started as a DIY project, but a few asked me to make some for sale. So, here are a few from exotic hardwoods, and plexiglass.

More info at: http://www.robincasady.com/ShiftKnobs/

The first is a black plexiglass (acrylic sheet) platform for mounting a iPhone 3G Dock, iPod Universal Dock, etc. I can be used with suction cup mounts as well. The iPhone 3G Dock is attached with double-sided carpet tape. Tape is included. It could also be glued, but I've found the tape to be quite sufficient and is removable.

The edge of the plex is rounded and highly polished. Other colors could be used. I have some white plex and probably could get red, blue, yellow, etc. Below the plex is a section of black plastic pipe that fits into the cup holder and is held firmly in place by the rubber tabs.

Price for a black plex platform is $35.00 plus shipping (usually $8.50). You supply the iPhone or iPod dock. If you need me to supply the dock and mount it, that can be done since Apple opened a store in Monterey.

Next are some made from turned hardwoods. They are held in the cup holder with the same kind of black pipe. This makes them less expensive than if the hidden part was made of expensive hardwood. Prices vary from $45 to $50 depending on the wood.

Cocobolo (a rosewood):

Claro Walnut (same color as "English Oak"):