Travel Stories Have an interesting trip in your MINI that you want to share with others? Post it here!

MINIclo and Spring - WOO HOO

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2005, 10:10 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Hiya! YuccaPatrol and I are at "Something's Brewing," an internet cafe/coffee house in Conway, Arkansas!! It's on the campus of Hendrix College....PURPLE HAZE!

I left my sister's in Arizona yesterday at 5 AM. After driving for about an hour or so, it started drizzling, then sleeting, then SNOWING! It was only the second time I've ever driven in a snowstorm! At the time, I was wearing a light weight hoodie, lighter-weight cotton yoga pants and flip-flops!

I stopped at a rest stop near Flagstaff, where it was 28 degrees, slipped into my black knee-high Ugg Boots, and walked through the snow to the restroom! BRRRRRRR!

I was blasting Neil Young on the H/K and missed the black ice bing! My temp reading at the Rest Stop was 28 degrees!!

In New Mexico, all the traffic on I-40 was directed off the interstate due to a HUGE duststorm...can you see where I'm going with this? The combination of snow, salt, and dust, made for a FILTHY little Wanda! She has NEVER looked so bad!

Despite my stupid dead cellphone and road delays, Yucca only had to wait 20 minutes for me at the Albuquerque Airport! YAY! We drove until we reached the Happy Traveler Cafe in Henryetta, Oklahoma at 3:30 AM! We wanted a piece of their fudge pie, and waited until they opened at 6 AM! Tee hee! Yucca slept behind the wheel and I guarded us!

More later.....

Clover

Last edited by MINIclo; 04-11-2005 at 07:25 AM. Reason: boo boo typo
Old 04-10-2005, 02:26 PM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just heard from the happy travelers and there in MS right now and should make Yucca’s place by 7/8PM. MINIclo sounds like she could use some sleep. When you start hearing more TEE HEE’S than she normally uses you know something’s up. Andrew’s doing fine at the wheel BTW.

Old 04-10-2005, 09:12 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by sndwave
Just heard from the happy travelers and there in MS right now and should make Yucca’s place by 7/8PM. MINIclo sounds like she could use some sleep. When you start hearing more TEE HEE’S than she normally uses you know something’s up. Andrew’s doing fine at the wheel BTW.
MINIclo has slept about 3 hours in just as many days and is now quite delirious! Can't sleep until I've PROPERLY loaded all the maps into my Garmin NAV! Found out I hadn't loaded all the details I need for my cross-country roadtrip.....OOPSIE! Tee hee!!!!

Giddy with happy exhaustion....was motoring in Wanda for 30 of the past 36 hours...WOO HOOOO! (Fortunately, Yucca drove about 20 of those hours...LOL!)

Heh heh heh.....hasta manana!!!

Clover

Old 04-10-2005, 09:24 PM
ImaVunDerBrah
6th Gear
I love the updates! I feel like I'm on a trip too... can't wait to hear what's next.

Old 04-11-2005, 07:44 AM
StLouieLo
6th Gear
Good morning, Clo

Hope you got some rest:smile: Glad to see you have made it safely to our side of the world See you soon

Lois

Old 04-11-2005, 07:54 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Geez Clo, slow down!!!, the Dragon is not till May, you still have a few weeks

Glad the trip is going well, keep the updates coming (for us who couldn't make the journey)

Nik

Old 04-11-2005, 08:00 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Hi, Lo! I got about 6-7 hours of sleep but am still bone-tired!

Gotta report that Yucca's new home in Birmingham is so awesome! And it's on a gorgeously-landscaped LARGE lot in a really nice neighborhood with parking for PLENTY of MINIs!!

We have to figure out the garden hose situation to see if we can get Wanda cleaned up before I take her out into the world again! She is encrusted with road grime and doesn't even look like she could possibly be black, let alone made out of metal!

I love it here! Everything is beginning to bloom, it's very green, and all the birds are chirping! Besides, the roads up to the YuccaPad are very nicely twisted!

Clover

Old 04-11-2005, 10:46 PM
GRNSTRK
1st Gear
I am waiting to hear that your butt is starting to hurt by day three. This way I'll know it's not just me...

Wendy/GRNSTRK + TR STRK the teardrop trailer

Old 04-13-2005, 04:02 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by GRNSTRK
I am waiting to hear that your butt is starting to hurt by day three. This way I'll know it's not just me...

Wendy/GRNSTRK + TR STRK the teardrop trailer
Sorry, Wendy...LOL! No problemo with the long drives! My secret: turning on the heated seat! I swear by it...do you have them in your GRNSTRK?

Clover

Old 04-13-2005, 06:45 AM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Sorry, Wendy...LOL! No problemo with the long drives! My secret: turning on the heated seat! I swear by it...do you have them in your GRNSTRK?

Clover
Hmmm - sounds like a good way to get a case of *SWASS!

*SWeaty ***

Old 04-13-2005, 06:47 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by adame
Hmmm - sounds like a good way to get a case of *SWASS!

*SWeaty ***
SWASS must be a "guy thing," as I have never experienced that condition!

Clover

Old 04-13-2005, 07:11 AM
adame
Coordinator :: MINIsota Motoring Society (MMS)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL - keep those heated seats on and you probably will!

Thanks for the updates - keep 'em coming.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:50 AM
GRNSTRK
1st Gear
Sure I have heated seats - but when it's 100 degrees outside the car and you're baking in the hot sun it's the furthest thing from my mind. NEVER thought of it. I will try it on our next long-haul, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Wendy

Old 04-13-2005, 09:36 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No problemo with the long drives! My secret: turning on the heated seat! I swear by it...
I thought your secret was picking up strange hitchhikers along the way and having them chauffeur you across the country. . . .

Old 04-13-2005, 06:51 PM
magic mini
5th Gear
Hey Miniclo, Welcome to BAMA. I hope you have time to come to the run the Bama group is having on the 23rd.

Old 04-13-2005, 07:07 PM
DaCrema
5th Gear
" ...
We have to figure out the garden hose situation to see if we can get Wanda cleaned up before I take her out into the world again! She is encrusted with road grime and doesn't even look like she could possibly be black, let alone made out of metal!
..."
Clover
I hope you took pictures of Wanda da mudder.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:41 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by DaCrema
I hope you took pictures of Wanda da mudder.
I'm sorry to report that I didn't get a piccie of the very dirty girl! She was RIDICULOUS looking, and I just couldn't bear to humiliate her in front of all the other MINIs!

A little jaunt:

sndwave and I drove our MINIs from the Florida Panhandle to Brian Harris MINI in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, for servicing, which is about 650 miles, roundtrip. He needed to do the 2 service bulletins and Inspection I, and I wanted an interim oil change, have the passenger interior doorhandle de-tweaked (for about the 6th time), and a service to check her out for the Dragon.

We left Fort Walton Beach at 1 AM, arriving at Brian Harris at 7 AM. We wanted to be the first cars there, to get in and out of service ASAP.

The cutest thing: both times we stopped at rest stops on the way to Louisiana, (one in Alabama, the other in Mississippi), the security guards just HAD to chat us up about our "cute little cars!" The fellow in Alabama wondered if they were French! That's a first for me!

We stayed at Brian Harris and snapped up one of each brochure for Yucca Patrol, who had asked for them. The best one is a great little brochure/poster for the Counterfeit MINI website! So clever!

One very interesting bit of info: the #1 and #3 MINI techs in the US work at Brian Harris! They have a lot of used MINIs on their lot.

One of the Bimmer salesmen was trying to sell me a BMW....and I had to point out my jewelry: MINI wings logo pendant and classic Mini charms on my hoop earrings. I also gave him one of my c3 calling cards and said, "Um, no....I'm really into MINIs!"

I will admit, though, that the 6-series is GORGEOUS!!! Beautiful lines, especially compared to the squared-off "boots" of the other models.

Wanda is ready for the Dragon! And so are the AWESOME MKO magnets!

Clover

Old 04-18-2005, 06:43 AM
orthomini
3rd Gear
drink

so how long are you at yuccas. call and we could bring by some margarettas if youd like. ive missed this last week and didnt know you were in town.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:49 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by orthomini
so how long are you at yuccas. call and we could bring by some margarettas if youd like. ive missed this last week and didnt know you were in town.
Hi, Bob! I'm in Florida now, but may go up to 'bama this weekend, since magicmini mentioned the run on the 23rd! BTW, Yucca's new place is fantastic! Perfect for MINI parties!

Clover

Old 05-30-2007, 11:50 AM
sndwave
Coordinator :: Gulf Coast & Panhandle MINIs
Well like all good things...

MINIclo has taken off for the west coast once again. She has a great trip back planed and will be stopping in different towns and cities she's not been too before.

Have a great and safe trip back home Clover.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:58 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
Godspeed, Clover!

Old 06-02-2007, 06:22 PM
cubbyr
4th Gear
Clover, it was great having dinner with you and Pat at the CrabShack and tim and Winter. have a safe trip home, let us know when you get there.

Old 06-05-2007, 09:34 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
IsaMini flew to Austin, TX to join me on the trip home to Cali. We spent 2 nights in Austin (got to see some of the Republic of Texas Biker Rally peeps roll in), a night in Fort Stockton, TX, 2 nights in Santa Fe (got to hang out with 3cocinas and his nice daughter Sara, BlueBonnet & wifey Nancy, and my dear pal, gokartride). Spent last night in Gallup, NM and drove to Sedona today. Going on a tour of the Grand Canyon tomorrow, and then meeting 89AKurt for dinner. Leaving for SoCal Friday, where Isa and I will each visit our fathers, who live 20 minutes apart! I'll be home Sunday-ish.