Travel Stories Have an interesting trip in your MINI that you want to share with others? Post it here!

Houston TX to California Redwoods

Old 09-11-2018, 09:14 AM
Garcia242
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Houston TX to California Redwoods

When we bought our 2017 Countryman S last October, me and the wife decided we wanted to take a nice long road trip in it. We decided to drive out to see the Redwoods in Northern California. That trip finally happened last month.
16 days and 5687 miles took us from Houston, TX to Southern Cali, up the Pacific Coast to Eureka and back. It was a mix of hotels, B&Bs, camping, and one night in a yurt. To make it even more fun, my wife was 6 months pregnant at the start of the trip.
We made stops in San Antonio and Ft. Davis, TX. Yuma, AZ. San Diego, CA. Los Angeles and Malibu. San Francisco. Fortuna and Eureka, CA. We drove Mulholland Dr in LA, the 17-Mile Drive in Pebble Beach and the Avenue of the Giants. We camped in 4 different State parks including Big Sur, Grizzly Creek and Black Butte Lake. We toured the Stone Brewery, Alcatraz and got to stand in front of some of the tallest trees around. On the way back we visited the Grand Canyon and stayed in a B&B that actually served breakfast in Snowflake, AZ. It was an amazing trip and we took hundreds of pictures. Here are some of our favorites featuring the Mini.

It's AMAZING how much you can actually fit in these cars. The tent, tarp, propane grill and accessories are all in the spare tire nook.

Rock formations on the way to the McDonald Observatory in Ft. Davis, TX.

Prada Marfa! in Valentine, TX (aka the middle of nowhere)

Mt. Soledad, La Jolla My wife used to live here and would come to watch the sunsets often.

Just off the Pacific Coast Highway

The roads were AMAZING!

The Chandelier Tree in Leggitt, CA. Our First Redwood Experience. 2400 years old!

Avenue of the Giants.

5686.7 miles well spent.

Old 09-12-2018, 09:15 AM
Garcia242
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Oops, after a few days of not being posted, I (obviously) incorrectly assumed that it was denied for too many pictures or there was a technical error. This is obviously an abbreviated version of my previous post on this trip. Sorry for the redundancy and confusion. Apparently I need to work on my patience.

Old 05-06-2019, 07:02 PM
Phillip Dobbs
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That looks like it was an awesome trip! Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-06-2019, 08:43 PM
vetsvette
Received 450 Likes on 343 Posts
Looks, and sounds like a great trip. Love the PCH. When I was stationed at Vandenberg AFB I took PCH from Ventura to Santa Monica most weekends to visit my girlfriend. The same friend and I took a trip up PCH from Santa Barbara to north of SF, but probably not as much fun as your trip since we were in a 25' Winnebago and had to pull over countless times to let traffic pass. PCH is a road best enjoyed at a leisurely pace anyway IMO.