Travel Stories Have an interesting trip in your MINI that you want to share with others? Post it here!

How fast is fast?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2012, 02:47 PM
Jere
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How fast is fast?

OK, I'm a newbie when it comes to MINIs. This is my first one and I bought it over the phone from Seattle MINI. I live in Colorado so driving back home was a great opportunity for me to break it in. After driving like I had been instructed for the first 1000 miles, I decided the eastern Oregon straight-away was the right place to open 'er up. After all, I could see for 10 miles, the road was good and there wasn't a soul in sight.

I was surprised at how quickly the car zoomed right on past 100 mph. Then came 110, 120 and yes, even 135 in rapid succession. I was also amazed at how steady the car felt at that speed -- like it was glued to the highway. I came to the conclusion that because the car is low and so close to the road that the faster I went the more it hugged the pavement.

Then I realized that aerodynamics had something to do with it. Instead of getting lighter at high speeds, the air flow must be keeping the car pinned to the ground. Or maybe it just seemed to me to be that way.

At any rate, I slowed down after hitting 135 a couple of times. I really think it would have accelerated right on up to its top speed of 145 mph. But lots of things can happen going that fast and I could not have avoided a jackrabbit had he chosen to run across the highway in front of me.

The best news was I still got 39 miles per gallon out of that first fill-up! All in all, I am pleased with my purchase and am now trying to decide if I want to keep these blasted run-flats on the car. I know the arguments, I just haven't made up my mind what to do.

Oh, before someone calls me a young idiot, let me add that I will be 77 my next birthday and I am a retired cop. I know the rules and if I break 'em every once in awhile, I will accept whatever punishment comes my way.

I'm not exactly looking forward to being an old goat, but if I make it to my 80s or 90s I hope I am still having as much fun as I am having now.

Thanks for letting me comment.