Travel Stories Have an interesting trip in your MINI that you want to share with others? Post it here!

Watkins Glen International Raceway Opening Day!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 PM
SSuperCoop
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Watkins Glen International Raceway Opening Day!

Hey all! Brand new to posting on the forums here. I'm from Columbus, Ohio and drove my 2003 Indi Blue Mini Cooper S the 440ish miles to the Glen for opening day this past Sunday, April 26th. Starting at 10:00 am, each car got to run three laps for only $20!

I'm 21, and my dad used to race all the time and was involved as a crew chief for years. He somehow had never actually been to Watkins Glen, so when I decided to go, I invited him along. At around 6:00 pm on Saturday, we set out and took I-71 North almost to Cleveland, splitting off onto I-271 North, and picking up I-90 East into Pennsylvania. After a short time through the Keystone State, I-90 breaks off onto I-86 East all the way into New York and we followed that almost all the way to the Glen. Then we had to navigate a bunch of country roads in the boonies in the dark, which was just confusing, but finally we were there around 1:30 am. We got a motel room, and slept until about 8:00 am.

After checking out, we stopped at a little restaurant a short 2 minute walk down the street, and headed out to the track. We got there, and got in line around 9:30 and there were already a ton of people waiting for their laps. Approximately ten bagillion Mustangs showed up, and a handful of corvettes, and I did see a very few Minis behind me. At about 10:00 the laps started and we got on track at about 10:15. I spent the time driving the track with my dad telling me exactly where to brake, where to turn in, where to apex, how to steer smooth and keep the arc, when to accelerate, and where to exit. Three laps around Watkins Glen International Raceway, and I learned SO MUCH. It was incredible.

After the laps, we parked and checked out the Mark Donahue cars (the 1973 Porsche 917/30, the 1973 Penske PC-1/003 Formula 1 car, 1973 Eagle-Offy Indy Car, 1967 Trans-Am Camaro, and two Lola T70 Can-Am cars. AWESOME.) We then drove back to town and did two laps of the Historic track, a large 6.7 mile course that was run from 1948-1952. After that, we headed out and drove the 440ish miles back home, getting back at 6:30 pm Sunday night.

All in all, nearly 1,000 miles and a day and a half od driving was totally worth three laps of Watkins Glen International Raceway, two laps of the Historic Track, and a big bunch of priceless learning opportunities and fun times with my dad. Also, now i need to get involved in road racing. Is there a Spec Mini class yet?

Also, the first picture is of the Coop in line in the morning. Being in New York, the Glen has lots of really beautiful elevation changes. And the missing a-pillar trim piece just blew off as I was driving down the freeway, and its about $100 for a new one. Boo.

The second picture is...well...me being vain and shamelessly posting a picture of my car. Sorry.

Attached Thumbnails Watkins Glen International Raceway Opening Day!-coopattheglen.jpg   Watkins Glen International Raceway Opening Day!-coopshoot8.jpg  
Old 04-30-2009, 07:39 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Watkins Glen is such a magical place and I am very glad you managed to drive it. The other track that is almost equally as good but a little further for you is Laguna Seca in Monterey CA. Maybe there could be more father and son bonding time in store for the near future.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:52 PM
imcraymond
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This was my first year at the Glen with my new MINI. TIERMINI.com is a local club and about 10 of us got together and drove up, then met folks from the MINI Club of WNY. There were about 32 of us! It was a great day.

If you do this again, check out either TIERMINI.com or miniclubofwny.activeboard.com so we can all sync up next time...